• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England becoming contenders

Lawes on bench for Parling. Swap Morgan and Dowson. Otherwise (apart from my suggested Dickson, Farrell, Barritt, Tuilagi with Flood on the bench and Hodgson out changes) I'd leave it as is and tell Youngs to lose weight!

lose weight? has he gone a fatty? i never noticed

probably explains why he was chosen for the pie advert for RBS lolzzzzz

Last edited by a moderator:
My little theory is that Youngs and Foden are either overweight or over muscled up and that is why neither player quite has that exciting bit of pace that made them so dangerous.

:huh:
My little theory is that Youngs and Foden are either overweight or over muscled up and that is why neither player quite has that exciting bit of pace that made them so dangerous.

Young is crap now because he's started believing his own hype and become the 2nd Coming of Harry Ellis while Foden never sees the ball while the Saracens keep kicking it away.

Don't understand the criticism of Foden either - against Italy he was caught out of position once (happens to the best of fullbacks) and then in trying to make up for it he threw an offload that wasn't on, resulting in a try - he won't be making that mistake anytime soon.
Those two points aside he is a bloody fantastic fullback, and not too fat/"over muscled"/slow.

Foden is the only England player that genuinely worries me for next week, two mistakes or not. He's looked lively as ever, where as the rest of the team look dull and predictable. Flood may help that if he comes back in, but I would still fancy our chances of pulling off quite a big result.

Have you watched Foden or seen him play live? He is not is slow or fat. The try he scored across the pitch against Scarlets in the HC gave you an idea of his pace.

He always seems smaller than I thought he would be.

Foden is the only England player that genuinely worries me for next week, two mistakes or not. He's looked lively as ever, where as the rest of the team look dull and predictable. Flood may help that if he comes back in, but I would still fancy our chances of pulling off quite a big result.
People keep saying this and it scares the **** out of me!!

Seeing wales parading the triple crown around Twickenham would be awful :mad:
Can just imagine a repeat of the 2006 England-Ireland game. :mellow:

People keep saying this and it scares the **** out of me!!

Was talking with forer England B international Trevor Cheeseman today bloody hell hes a big bloke lol, and he said what he thinks about nexrt week and his opinion is that England dont offer anything for us to be concerned about and we will walk all over them, I dont want Wales to be too over confident we have to respect that we are playing England away from home its always a tough game.

England are not contenders. They do not have the experience. The process of rebuilding from the World Cup has begun and it will take a few years. Beating Scotland and Italy is one thing, beating the other three is another.

England are not contenders no. But they have not exactly played extremely badly. For many of the players it is their first few caps and they have grinded out wins in tuff conditions. If you ask me I think there is a lot more to see, and I think with them expected to loose against Wales, we will see it. If Tuilangi is back along with Lawes, Flood on the bench and Dixon + Morgan starting, I think our attack will really start and we will give Wales a good game at least.

I can believe Youngs is carrying more timber than needed, although personally my money is on "insufficiently rehabbed knee injury" - which isn't mutually exclusive mind - along with loss of confidence/overconfidence (delete as preferred).

I'm fairly sure there's nothing wrong with Foden.

Foden is fine he just had a poor game. It will take time for Youngs to regain full fitness and when he does he will be Englands first choice 9.

The explanation for Youngs' extra weight (if that is correct-and I'm merely surmising) may well be caused by injury affecting his training programme.
Look, none of us have any 'scientific' evidence but all I'm saying is Youngs' main attribute was darting explosive runs and that seems missing and when I look at him, I think he looks heavy. As for Foden, I apologise to his fans--I count myself as one of them. It was merely an attempt to explain my observation that his devastating pace is just not quite so devastating at the moment and he also looks a tad 'heavy'.
Of course, modern rugby players do bulk up. They even advertise protein building products on the telly. Truth is, I don't know, it was just a thought. I think I'd better shut up now!!
I hope Foden scores a brace in the corners this weekend and that Youngs comes on as sub and darts over through the gap under the posts and that we're all happy.

facepalm.jpg

You are Stuart Barnes and I claim my £5.

Last edited:
The explanation for Youngs' extra weight (if that is correct-and I'm merely surmising) may well be caused by injury affecting his training programme.
Look, none of us have any 'scientific' evidence but all I'm saying is Youngs' main attribute was darting explosive runs and that seems missing and when I look at him, I think he looks heavy. As for Foden, I apologise to his fans--I count myself as one of them. It was merely an attempt to explain my observation that his devastating pace is just not quite so devastating at the moment and he also looks a tad 'heavy'.
Of course, modern rugby players do bulk up. They even advertise protein building products on the telly. Truth is, I don't know, it was just a thought. I think I'd better shut up now!!
I hope Foden scores a brace in the corners this weekend and that Youngs comes on as sub and darts over through the gap under the posts and that we're all happy.

It is your theory so nothing wrong with putting it across. I think Foden has just not had the chance to build a decent attack. This is down to the tactics, support play and the poor conditions. He would be hard pushed to go full tilt in the wet and snow. As for Youngs he is not making those runs because his confidence is shot due to loss of form and playing rubbish.

Even if I did not have my black, green and gold glasses on. I think like most England fans Foden is one of the precious few real talents in the team at the moment and if he starts playing badly, and unless Brown stepped up we could be in real trouble.

Was talking with forer England B international Trevor Cheeseman today bloody hell hes a big bloke lol, and he said what he thinks about nexrt week and his opinion is that England dont offer anything for us to be concerned about and we will walk all over them, I dont want Wales to be too over confident we have to respect that we are playing England away from home its always a tough game.

Yeah, I don't think any player or team in the would concern this utterly impregnable Wales side.

You've got to put the weather that the Poms played in, into context. Wales played great running rugby against Scotland - with the roof closed. England played Italy in driving snow. That said I still think their game plan is going to be pretty conservative - they'll try and spin it wide and when they doesn't work - revert to type, kick for corners and wait for mistakes/penalties. They've got 2 or 3 world class backs backs and if they use them to their potential, could win. The have an organised and structured defence, so I don't think Wales will put a big score on them, but it really is dependent on what kind of game plan the English are going to play.

Latest posts