• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England becoming contenders

They're going to win very slow ball, kick it in the air and run after it.

Thats Andy Farrells amazing secret game plan, how did you get it, was it another press leak? Wales will never cope with us giving them possession back all the time, what are they going to do run with the ball? Thats not how you win rugby matches....aimless kicking does!

I'm amazed Farrell hasn't introduced that amazing and revolutionary mungoball defensive pattern called "blitz defence". That's forward thinking...

IMO England won't become serious contenders on a world stage, until they start bringing in proper opensides, such as Tom Rees or Callum Clark In order to contend with the likes of Harinordoquy and Warburton. Preferably Tom Rees, if he can stay fit, as he has proven himself against Mcaw and has Captaining experience so could replace Robshaw at 7.

Anyone else notice Steffon Armitage's recent performance? Unlikely to be called back for England duties any time soon but if he keeps performance like this one coming it might be worth a look...

I would love Tom Rees to recover form and avoid injury- but it's not gonna happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO England won't become serious contenders on a world stage, until they start bringing in proper opensides, such as Tom Rees or Callum Clark In order to contend with the likes of Harinordoquy and Warburton. Preferably Tom Rees, if he can stay fit, as he has proven himself against Mcaw and has Captaining experience so could replace Robshaw at 7.
England's biggest failings stem from improper coaching and selections over the years. Whereas most coaches put out their best team, for some reason every England coach feels that picking the form players isn't important. To give you an idea of this, of all the players available and injury-free for England, of the XV that lined up against Italy, I'd have had a grand total of 5 of those players - Hartley, Palmer, Robshaw, Barritt, Foden - starting in the squad I would have picked. Dickson, Morgan, Tuilagi and Lawes coming in would bump it up to 9. It's frustrating to say the least, because England do have the resources to play good rugby. Not picking a real openside is just a part of these selection blunders that England fans have come to expect.

Latest posts