• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"England has the quantity, but Wales has the quality". Discuss.

Welsh people are just a lot more passionate than the upper class, Tory voting, private school attending, English rugby community. That's all it is.

An excellent attempt at trolling however I would just like to point out that I am a working class Sassenach from the north east. Even if I do indeed vote Tory. ;-)

An excellent attempt at trolling however I would just like to point out that I am a working class Sassenach from the north east. Even if I do indeed vote Tory. ;-)
Yeah the northern lads aren't so stuck up. Still, most of them went to grammar school though.

If Wales produced high quality players they wouldn't need to steal everyone elses
I think you'll find Wales has rather fewer project/residency players than do Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Japan and doubtless others. Even those who aren't born in Wales in most cases either have recent Welsh ancestry or moved to Wales as children.

Is this thread actually still going on? *Yawn* I'm back off for a nap, that sounds far more interesting.

At any given point in time, Wales have 3 or 4 genuinely top class players which is probably about the same as England. I hate to say it, but on that basis, it probably is fair to say that their record of producing quality is higher than England's.

We are very good at producing lots of players who are good without being great which, when added with the 3 or 4 top players, typically means the overall quality of our squad is better.

Yeah the northern lads aren't so stuck up. Still, most of them went to grammar school though.
Gloucester and Bristol?
We are very good at producing lots of players who are good without being great
Internationally? I disagree on the basis that Wales have had better coaches (plus no meddling RFU) than England have for a considerable time now.

I think there may be something in a country's most popular sport sponging up talent also. Aus is a good example of that, USA, etc.

Gloucester and Bristol?

Internationally? I disagree on the basis that Wales have had better coaches (plus no meddling RFU) than England have for a considerable time now.

I think there may be something in a country's most popular sport sponging up talent also. Aus is a good example of that, USA, etc.
Yeah I'm sure some of the South West lads went to a normal, non selective school and mixed with the peasants. Probably few and far between though.

Is Eddie Jones that much worse than Gatland? We had Robert Howley don't forget. I don't think you can play the better coaches card when you have far more money than us, far better facilities than us and, across the board, players have better access to coaches in your school system. At every level Wales are at a disadvantage.

Last edited:
At any given point in time, Wales have 3 or 4 genuinely top class players which is probably about the same as England. I hate to say it, but on that basis, it probably is fair to say that their record of producing quality is higher than England's.

We are very good at producing lots of players who are good without being great which, when added with the 3 or 4 top players, typically means the overall quality of our squad is better.
Or is it because we have so many players the ones with potential WC quality don't get a fair crack. Think Tait, JSD.

This thread may be nonsense i dont know but i do wonder if England with so many more options England changes alot more players for the inform ones, where as Wales with far less choice will have to develop these players that may be replaced so will have more experienced players at one time. Ig they have say only 4 first realistic options at FH they cant keep changing they need to develop over yhe years.

In england we are someones biggest fan....few bad games and we all call to bring in the kid with talent but no game experience.

How many of the more experienced welsh set up would still be playing if they played for England? Would they have been replaced after many less caps after a dip in form and never seen again where as Wales cant afford to given more limited options.

Outstanding stuff.
With nothing but a refurbished but predictable and old rod, she took a long shot, and two pages later we've got a thread.

Troll score: 7.5/10.

I think the stats on rugby nations make interesting reading. There are two nations which quite frankly are sleeping giants, France and Japan. They have significantly more clubs and active senior male players yet internationally don't quite get it together.

Ireland Scotland and Wales seem to play very much as their number would predict. I think the real elephant in the room though is where would most nations be without their pacific island heritage players be (Including 1-2 generations back) who consistently punch well above their weight. Every 1st tier nation is peppered with them. They are so good they can get into any other countries side.

This thread may be nonsense i dont know but i do wonder if England with so many more options England changes alot more players for the inform ones, where as Wales with far less choice will have to develop these players that may be replaced so will have more experienced players at one time. Ig they have say only 4 first realistic options at FH they cant keep changing they need to develop over yhe years.

In england we are someones biggest fan....few bad games and we all call to bring in the kid with talent but no game experience.

How many of the more experienced welsh set up would still be playing if they played for England? Would they have been replaced after many less caps after a dip in form and never seen again where as Wales cant afford to given more limited options.
I've said this for years. Our depth is one of our biggest hindrances as players (and coaches TBH) tend not to be supported through a temporary drop in form; or have a hell of a road back into the squad if they drop out with an injury.
It's one of (but far from the only) the reasons I want a smaller league, allowing the cream to float to the top; meaning higher quality matches at club level, with higher quality players around them, more club combinations likely at international level, and fewer, but higher quality "next cab off the rank" options.
Our pyramidal structure for talent isn't remotely pyramidal; it a blunt pillar!

I've said this for years. Our depth is one of our biggest hindrances as players (and coaches TBH) tend not to be supported through a temporary drop in form; or have a hell of a road back into the squad if they drop out with an injury.
It's one of (but far from the only) the reasons I want a smaller league, allowing the cream to float to the top; meaning higher quality matches at club level, with higher quality players around them, more club combinations likely at international level, and fewer, but higher quality "next cab off the rank" options.
Our pyramidal structure for talent isn't remotely pyramidal; it a blunt pillar!
I agree with you.

Except I quite like our league structure for what it is. Give me that any day over franchises or synthetic regions allegedly geared up to make the national team better.

Depends on whether you think everything should be predicated to the success of the national team or if the national team is the icing on the cake of a vibrant domestic game.

Depends on whether you think everything should be predicated to the success of the national team or if the national team is the icing on the cake of a vibrant domestic game.
IMO my proposal does both; but this probably isn't the thread for that

I agree with you.

Except I quite like our league structure for what it is. Give me that any day over franchises or synthetic regions allegedly geared up to make the national team better.

I think everyone would prefer actual clubs but most countries it's simply not financially viable. Could argue it's not viable in England since there is only one or two that actually make a profit.