• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Post-WC discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow just watched the whole Sarries game back . Owen Farrell has changed ! He seems faster and is making better decisions in attack . His passing was quick and crisp yesterday too ! Very very impressive

Anyone know why we have no Saxons games lined up/no squad announcement?

Always interesting to see who is in that second tier. You usually get more movement, and it gives an idea of who the coach is looking at outside the main contenders.

Apparently there's no Saxons games during the 6N, so I imagine they just hold off until the summer now.

I do agree that Farrell seems faster - I think he may have lost a couple of Kg.

Maybe he was one of the few players to benefit from the pre-RWC conditioning.

Cue conspiracy theory that Andy Farrell secretly convinced the strength and conditioning team to tailor all of England's fitness training to suit his son. With Lancaster and the RFU powerless to stop his complex, machiavellian schemes.

Just read the below quote in an online ESPN article:
"For two years Vunipola has duelled with Ben Morgan for his place in England's back row, but now he must see off a new contender. Morgan was omitted from the 33-man squad for the Six Nations announced on Wednesday, with Jones revealing that he views Harlequins' Jack Clifford as primarily a number eight."

I completely missed Eddie saying this... Did he?

If true then the 7 shirt should be a shoot out between Kvesic and Haskell. Obviously I would prefer Kvesic, but if Clifford is at 8 does that leave a lightweight and unbalanced back row?

So this would give us EPS combinations of:

6 - Robshaw/Haskell/Itoje?
7 - Kvesic/Haskell
8 - Vunipola/Clifford/Beaumont

Just read the below quote in an online ESPN article:
"For two years Vunipola has duelled with Ben Morgan for his place in England's back row, but now he must see off a new contender. Morgan was omitted from the 33-man squad for the Six Nations announced on Wednesday, with Jones revealing that he views Harlequins' Jack Clifford as primarily a number eight."

I completely missed Eddie saying this... Did he?

If true then the 7 shirt should be a shoot out between Kvesic and Haskell. Obviously I would prefer Kvesic, but if Clifford is at 8 does that leave a lightweight and unbalanced back row?

So this would give us EPS combinations of:

6 - Robshaw/Haskell/Itoje?
7 - Kvesic/Haskell
8 - Vunipola/Clifford/Beaumont

Maybe it will be good to have a blend of styles at number 8 I can imagine Clifford working well against someone like Wales because of the extra breakdown work and because their pack is fairly lightweight .

I can see him as a Faletau type of number 8 . He was very good at 8 against Sarries last week

Last edited:
Maybe it will be good to have a blend of styles at number 8 I can imagine Clifford working well against someone like Wales because of the extra breakdown work and because their pack is fairly lightweight .

I can see him as a Faletau type of number 8 . He was very good at 8 against Sarries last week

I like having the option of different styles, but my concern is that one of the key issues from the RWC was a lack of clarity over the game plan for the players. Too many options straight away could spoil the focus, maybe Eddie needs to pick a singular clear game plan for the start of his tenure at least.

I like having the option of different styles, but my concern is that one of the key issues from the RWC was a lack of clarity over the game plan for the players. Too many options straight away could spoil the focus, maybe Eddie needs to pick a singular clear game plan for the start of his tenure at least.

Basically what he's trying to do, this article is pretty brilliant to be honest. Read the end for his views on an English game plan!
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jan/16/eddie-jones-england-rugby-union-six-nations-squad

Basically what he's trying to do, this article is pretty brilliant to be honest. Read the end for his views on an English game plan!
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jan/16/eddie-jones-england-rugby-union-six-nations-squad

Great article - thanks @Jakedood

Clarity certainly seems to be the focus... Plus, I was especially interested to read this particular quote:
"I do not think a lack of pace in the back row at Murrayfield is a concern, but it may be if we were playing the All Blacks in Dunedin. The breakdown is a skill everyone has to be good at, not just the No7. We have got to practise it and we will be, a lot."

Yes, practise a lot, and then practise it some more! Potentially another hint that Haskell will be starting at 7, which could allow for Clifford to start at 8 with Robshaw at 6. This back row would require both Haskell and Clifford to carry well too, which again is something that Haskell needs to practise, a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mehhh I intiially supported the idea of haskell playing a short term role in the squad but I'm no longer sure at all. Has been anonymous for Wasps for a string of games now...to the extent that if he wasn't club captain I'd consider making Sam Jones my first choice blindside. We didn't miss him on saturday away at Toulon.

j'nuh;779268[URL said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35347015[/URL]

oh no what a massive shame Im almost creing
I do wish the press would stop saying he's been recalled which isn't true at all he wasn't dropped from the EPS

Hopefully now Jones can pick Roko instead.

Looks to me more like a hand in the face than an eye gouge . Still dangerous though . He will be ****ting his pants I think

Looks to me more like a hand in the face than an eye gouge . Still dangerous though . He will be ****ting his pants I think

I can't remember who it was but think it was Hartley who got banned for ages for having he hand near the face.

Might have been Neil best actually, can't remember now.

I can't remember who it was but think it was Hartley who got banned for ages for having he hand near the face.

Yeh . It's more stupidity than anything though . Don't get me wrong id much rather have Lewington or Roko in, but there isn't anything in this imo

French winger (Stade v Munster?) got six weeks for hand in the face last week......

Of course he was French and what chance they will ban an English player this close to an International??

Last edited:
Yeh . It's more stupidity than anything though . Don't get me wrong id much rather have Lewington or Roko in, but there isn't anything in this imo

I remember watching this live and thinking it's not an eye gouge, or there's no angle that shows if his hands went anywhere near the eye. However, his hands were around the waist, pulling him out, then reached up to grab the head with whiplash style effect, and there was absolutely no need for his hands to have been that high. I can't say its eye gouging, but definitely overstepped his boundaries in this instance, as there's no cause for his hands to be in Marshall's face

I remember watching this live and thinking it's not an eye gouge, or there's no angle that shows if his hands went anywhere near the eye. However, his hands were around the waist, pulling him out, then reached up to grab the head with whiplash style effect, and there was absolutely no need for his hands to have been that high. I can't say its eye gouging, but definitely overstepped his boundaries in this instance, as there's no cause for his hands to be in Marshall's face

There appears to be little difference as French player did not do that much wrong. Apparently, (have not read the report) pleaded guilty though and got time off....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts