• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Post-WC discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bizarre. Unless by defence he means defensive positioning rather than what he actually does in the tackle. Not that I'd noticed it was a particular issue.

Could've understood it a lot more if it was set piece related.

I actually kind of feel for the guy.

A really soft ban, that.

This is also on another thread but just in case you have not seen it, Stade's French winger got 14 weeks (after deductions) for something equally as innocuous!

As the EPS has already been announced, including Ashton in it. What are the rules? Can or can't he be replaced as this is a ban not an injury?

As the EPS has already been announced, including Ashton in it. What are the rules? Can or can't he be replaced as this is a ban not an injury?

I'm pretty sure any player who is unavailable can be replaced, otherwise you could have the purely hypothetical example of front row players being banned and not having anyone in the team who can take their position.

According to the BBC he can appeal but should the ban be upheld then Eddie Jones can re-select

I actually kind of feel for the guy.

A really soft ban, that.

No it isn't. If you take an action with a high risk of serious injury that you don't have to in a rugby game, you will get banned. Ashton's hand didn't need to be there, not once in a million years, and he made contact with the eyes and both he and Marshall are lucky nothing more came of it. He has nothing to complain about - he should count himself lucky as well that the ref didn't decide to review it there and then because he could have got a very early red card.

Little 1min interview with Eddie on Facebook,

Wilko coming in as an informal coach to help with kicking coaching,

Waiting to see whether Ashton appeals/what happens with that before naming a replacement.

Banahan is no more international quality than I am ......

If you haven't seen me play I'll explain . I'm pretty crap

I'm no more serious than the salary cap.
If you don't know about the salary cap I'll explain. It's not serious.

Cockers confirms Tom Youngs has been told to work on his defence and ball carrying.
Ironic considering that's what he's known for :lol:

Maybe he's had one too many blows to the head and mis-heard "You don't need to work on defence and ball carrying, but FFS improve your set piece"

No it isn't. If you take an action with a high risk of serious injury that you don't have to in a rugby game, you will get banned. Ashton's hand didn't need to be there, not once in a million years, and he made contact with the eyes and both he and Marshall are lucky nothing more came of it. He has nothing to complain about - he should count himself lucky as well that the ref didn't decide to review it there and then because he could have got a very early red card.

Absolutely and well said. There's a clear player safety issue here. Marshall is tackled and going into touch he poses no threat whatever. For reasons known unto himself Ashton grabs his head having adjusted from a safe tackling position with no visibility of where Marshall's eyes are and throws / rips him to the ground by the face. It's a straight red offence in my book and the ban is proportionate. Unless by "soft" Orange means that after all the hard work Ashton put in to regain a place at the top table throwing it away like a moron is soft. That I agree with. It's just a stupid thing to do. Sometime stupidity has a price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts