• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Post-WC discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure the the European website is to be trusted. Nathan Hughes is listed as 17st 4lbs/110kg; Wasps have him as 19st 10lbs/125kg, which is nearer where I'd guess. Premiership website has him down as 19st 5lbs/123kg.

Not that it matters if Daly is 14 stone or 13; there's no way I'd ever feel comfortable with him defending at 12. Not to mention it's a complete waste of his pace and drift to put him in that tight a position.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Anyone else written to Father Christmas and asked if he will make Wayne Smith the missing England Skills Coach? With him and the rumoured others we'd never be able to use the coaching excuse again. (And, you know, might actually play good rugby...)

P.S. Anyone else written to Father Christmas and asked if he will make Wayne Smith the missing England Skills Coach? With him and the rumoured others we'd never be able to use the coaching excuse again. (And, you know, might actually play good rugby...)

Then what will our excuse be if we play badly?

Yeah need to keep Farrell employed for the nepotism card.

TBH Im happy to blame the players but unsure how we can blame anyone but the coaches for the world cup.

According to the Telegraph, we are going to be having:

Head Coach - Jones (also the de facto "attack" coach)
Defence - Gustard
Forwards - Borthwick
Backs -
Skills -
Scrum -
Given the first two appointments, I expect Jones will go with more coaches that he knows. Dal Maso apparently doesn't speak English so that will probably be an impediment to his hiring.

Man I'd love us to get Ledesma or Frans Ludeke ...... Marc dal Maso would be awesome too !

My choice would be

Head Coach - Eddie Jones
Defence - Paul Gustard
Forwards - Steve Borthwick
Backs - Ali Hepher
Skills - Wayne Smith (I know unlikely)
Scrum - Marc dal Maso
Kicking - Jonny Wilkinson

Last edited:
Man I'd love us to get Ledesma or Frans Ludeke ...... Marc dal Maso would be awesome too !

My choice would be

Head Coach - Eddie Jones
Defence - Paul Gustard
Forwards - Steve Borthwick
Backs - Ali Hepher
Skills - Wayne Smith (I know unlikely)
Scrum - Marc dal Maso
Kicking - Jonny Wilkinson

Wonder how Farrell jnr and Eddie Jones first conversation is going to go....

Wonder how Farrell jnr and Eddie Jones first conversation is going to go....

Pretty well, given Farrell on current form will likely be starting fly-half. The lad's also probably looking forward to not being accused of nepotism every time he plays. And spreading his own wings outside his father's considerable shadow.

There'll also, hopefully, be a more sensible appreciation of his strengths and weaknesses. Less hyperbole and conspiracy.

Pretty well, given Farrell on current form will likely be starting fly-half. The lad's also probably looking forward to not being accused of nepotism every time he plays. And spreading his own wings outside his father's considerable shadow.

There'll also, hopefully, be a more sensible appreciation of his strengths and weaknesses. Less hyperbole and conspiracy.

Yeah was more thinking..

Hi I'm Eddie Jones

Yeah I know you sacked my dad....

Good to hear that Ellis Genge scored a hat-trick against Bedford.

Hopefully we'll see him in the prem next year, with or without Bris.

Decent - very, very strong.

Haven't seem him scrummage at senior level.

Anyone else read in one of the papers that the England coaches extended contracts were to prevent them getting poached!

I don't think I've ever seen Joseph reported as being that heavy - neither by club nor by country - and struggle to believe that. That's also the lightest Daly's been put at by quite a margin either. Really does not look right to me.

Having bumped into - by which I mean lurked, stalked and timed the accidental 'bump' perfectly - Daly a couple of times at a Clapham nightclub of moderate repute, I'd put him at 90 and change, but not much more. In decent shape. Wouldn't let me grasp his thighs, so I can't comment on their shapeliness, but he had a fair few pounds of muscle on teammates of comparative height and build.

In terms of 12, at least he has played there. Granted, it was in the u18s at school - Daly at 12, Yarde at 13, tidy pair - but thats at least a step up over our long-departed union debutant.

It is a really pitiful state that we don't have 2 or 3 12s chomping for international honours. Granted we have Sam Hill but other than that we are looking to convert other players.

Would Daly really work at 12? Possibly. When I've watched him he doesn't seem the most solid defender to have at 12.

It is a really pitiful state that we don't have 2 or 3 12s chomping for international honours. Granted we have Sam Hill but other than that we are looking to convert other players.

Would Daly really work at 12? Possibly. When I've watched him he doesn't seem the most solid defender to have at 12.

How does he compare to other lighter 12s? Can't say that I've ever really noticed the likes of Gits laying the wood on a defender. Is it more a case of Daly defending, or Daly defending with Ford on the inside and Joseph on the outside? Seems solid, but is that enough? Probably not.

Either way, feels like more shoehorning of players into positions they don't play on a weekly basis. Give him the 23 jersey and you've got fullback, wing and 13 covered, along with a hefty left peg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts