• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2019/20 Thread

He's listed by Saints as 192cm and 104kg. So yes he's quite tall but he's still on the small side weight-wise. He also doesn't carry particularly well IMO, whereas, if anything, Curry punches above his weight with ball in hand.
I've only really seen him in an England shirt but always been pretty impressed by him. As you say though, Curry seems to have it all (bar a couple more inches in height).

I've only really seen him in an England shirt but always been pretty impressed by him. As you say though, Curry seems to have it all (bar a couple more inches in height).
I agree that Ludlam's always looked impressive and I do like him; I just don't like the look of a back row with him and Curryhill in it. It's not a case for me of Ludlam vs Curry at 8 but of Ludlam vs Hill vs Earl to create the best balanced back row with the other 2, and I think that Hill does that best. And I'd rather Curry at 8 than Underhill or Hill.

I agree that Ludlam's always looked impressive and I do like him; I just don't like the look of a back row with him and Curryhill in it. It's not a case for me of Ludlam vs Curry at 8 but of Ludlam vs Hill vs Earl to create the best balanced back row with the other 2, and I think that Hill does that best. And I'd rather Curry at 8 than Underhill or Hill.
Can't really comment on Hill and Earl as (to my knowledge) I haven't seen them play... the longer this discussion goes on though the more crazy leaving Dombrandt out seems.

Last edited:
He's listed by Saints as 192cm and 104kg. So yes he's quite tall but he's still on the small side weight-wise. He also doesn't carry particularly well IMO, whereas, if anything, Curry punches above his weight with ball in hand.
Looking at Ludlam I can believe the 110kg, he looks pretty solid these days. I still don't want him, or anyone else, in this squad at 8 though.
Why is everyone predicting Lawes at 6?

If we start him there I'm gonna spew - I wouldn't even have him in the EPS. The RWC final should have been his last hurrah

Harsh. He's an experienced player playing well and well worth his place in the squad. If any of the established 4 should go its Launch as Jones clearly rates him well below the others and will only be an injury stop gap at best.

Looking at Ludlam I can believe the 110kg, he looks pretty solid these days. I still don't want him, or anyone else, in this squad at 8 though.
Yeah, I was surprised at Saints' 104kg to be honest as I also thought he looked bigger. The weight isn't really the point though, moreso just that whatever his weight is, I don't think he's a good enough ball carrier to be in a back row with Curryhill.

Harsh. He's an experienced player playing well and well worth his place in the squad. If any of the established 4 should go its Launch as Jones clearly rates him well below the others and will only be an injury stop gap at best.
He's a tweener - he's not as good in the second row as the alternatives and not as good at 6 as the alternatives. As mentioned above: If you want a lock who plays 6 then you pick Isiekwe.
Sure he's got experience but so do Itoje, Kruis, Launchbury.

I'm not saying he's bad or anything, I just don't think he needs to be there.

Unsure what thread to put but I guess this one for now Eddie Jones is set to agree a new deal to take England through to the 2023 World Cup, according to BBC.

Now confirmed,

I'm happy with that - don't think 2 years is enough time for a replacement to build for a RWC.

Mixed feelings. On the one hand there is no denying he has done some great things with England. On the other, Jones has a history of wearing teams down and gradually getting worse the longer he is with them. Maybe he has learned recently, especially where it looked like England dropped off a cliff in 2018? His real target now needs to be about fixing the mental inconsistency in the squad and how they can just go completely off the boil at any time. We are lacking a good core of leaders who can stop games from slipping away.

If we still have Ben Youngs in 4 years time though...

Aye, my thinking is: Who else is there? And who else is there that could come in and make a positive impact in less than two seasons?

EJ is the best option, especially considering things are gonna be a bit messy for the next season or so, cause of all the disruptions from Coronavirus.

Aye, my thinking is: Who else is there? And who else is there that could come in and make a positive impact in less than two seasons?

EJ is the best option, especially considering things are gonna be a bit messy for the next season or so, cause of all the disruptions from Coronavirus.

If the intention is to get an English coach again after and none have suitable experience (except Lancaster who wouldn't take the job anyway) then they really need to get someone involved in the England setup as an assistant to Jones. Baxter is unlikely to take that role and I'm unsure if Diamond will. It's not just who else now but realistically who else in 4 years time? I can't see Jones doing a Gatland and staying around through an entire generation of players.

If the intention is to get an English coach again after and none have suitable experience (except Lancaster who wouldn't take the job anyway) then they really need to get someone involved in the England setup as an assistant to Jones. Baxter is unlikely to take that role and I'm unsure if Diamond will. It's not just who else now but realistically who else in 4 years time? I can't see Jones doing a Gatland and staying around through an entire generation of players.
Yeah, my guess is they expected Baxter or Gustard to be second in command this/next year then take over - which obviously didn't materialise.
They probably had an eye on Mallinder before he left too.

Not worth its own thread, but anyone else pick up that from next season Umbro will replace Canterbury as England's kit supplier?

Awful, shiny wendyball style replicas coming to a Sports Direct near you soon.

As if the game didn't have enough problems.

URGH.

Not worth its own thread, but anyone else pick up that from next season Umbro will replace Canterbury as England's kit supplier?

Awful, shiny wendyball style replicas coming to a Sports Direct near you soon.

As if the game didn't have enough problems.

URGH.
price of professionalism

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeorgieRawly95/status/1257738975638364162

EXRi6LwX0AEIxK1

It'll all be fine, they're a large company and there'll be plenty of creative input from the RFU with a mandated specification. People will still buy the jersey no matter what it looks like because it's the England jersey. It might make the replica jerseys cheaper, one of the reasons I haven't bought recent jerseys. I think it's good that it's an English company but all told it's not what's being worn that matters but what is being done in that jersey. As long as England win, nobody will care about the kit.

Latest posts