• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England should adopt Australia's style

I know you're joking Melon. Sadly, the NRL believe this. And the IRLB let them get away with it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 18 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know you're joking Melon. Sadly, the NRL believe this. And the IRLB let them get away with it.[/b]
On a side note, I noticed you called the ruling body "IRLB"...International Rugby League Board.

The actual name is RLIF (Rugby League International Federation).

I'm not nitpicking, the complete opposite actually, I think they should change their name to your interpretation. Much better in my mind and is in parallel with the IRB.

Petition time I say!

Rugby League International Federation.

Whenever I hear "Federation" I hear Captain Janeway's voice. I also hear the name "Starship Enterprise" a split second later.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Nov 17 2008, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 18 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gay Guy - Super League had two referees there, Ashley Klein and Steve Ganson, but the Australians will NOT use our officials. This has been a massive bugbear of mine for two years. When it's in the UK they Aussies throw their dummies out of their pram and always get their official to referee the last game, especially if it's a decided test, and we were never going to get one of our own refs down under.

A very, very big annoyance of mine.[/b]
We here in NZ are well and truly used to all sorts of weird things happening whenever we get to play the Kangaroos that we now just accept it.  The bottom line is that NO ref should ref a game if their own country is involved.  It should be neutral refs in every game.
[/b][/quote]

Dont worry, most NRL fans are over the referees - Especially the video

We complain about the same thing when our sides go to England and France

It is such a fixable problem it almost makes you weep. Only something like 99.999% of international sports have figured out how to fix the problem. I didn't think RL would have much trouble

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 17 2008, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hate the PTB full stop in RL at the moment, the actual "play" of it is scruffy, and the amount of jiggery pokery that goes on is incredible. Only our referees do anything about it though, Hayne and Archer let it go on all sorts. It slows us down. One of the key things about Super League is a quick PTB - it's why Saints have been the best in the league for a decade because we had Cunningham at hooker destroying people, making 10 - 20 yards every time or getting a penalty.

Way too much slowing down goes on.[/b]

Sadly a gameplan of running from dummy-half every other tackle looking for a penalty is killing the game as a spectacle for me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
England never adjusted to the wrestle in the ruck nor the use of dummy and decoy runners out wide.

Time and again players threw their hands in the air, screaming at referees for obstruction penalties because defenders felt impeded by opposition decoy runners.[/b]

Another bugbear of mine.

I've seen far too many tries disallowed, especially in the last couple of Super League seasons for 'obstruction' when the alleged 'obstruction' as been virtually nothing at all.

Cunningham didn't play for penalties in his prime, he moved people out of the way!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 18 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cunningham didn't play for penalties in his prime, he moved people out of the way![/b]

That's because Cunningham has power as well as class and running from dummy-half is just one weapon in his arsenal... for most hookers these days, running from dummy-half is their only weapon!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Nov 18 2008, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
England never adjusted to the wrestle in the ruck nor the use of dummy and decoy runners out wide.

Time and again players threw their hands in the air, screaming at referees for obstruction penalties because defenders felt impeded by opposition decoy runners.[/b]

Another bugbear of mine.

I've seen far too many tries disallowed, especially in the last couple of Super League seasons for 'obstruction' when the alleged 'obstruction' as been virtually nothing at all.
[/b][/quote]

Same thing in the NRL and you can blame the video ref for that - There is no consitency in the ruling. Either someone was obstructed, or they were not - It really isn't that hard, or hasn't been for last 100 years or so, now you need a PHd in advanced geometry to figure out what the ruling was

There is absolutely no consistency with these obstruction decisions whatsoever. Dummy runners getting tackled is suddenly becoming instruction. Insanity.

anyone that knows anything about RL knows that the ESL is more entertaining than the NRL. quicker play the balls open up the defence.

the problem with that is it gives a false indication of how good certain players are. Wellens for example... he looks like a world beater for Saints when there on the front foot... now with better defences he looks inept.

i think the ESL just needs to adopt abit more leeway in the ruck... it cuts most of the rubbish dummyhalf running out of the game and puts the impetus on the halves to create opportunities.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shiznit @ Nov 19 2008, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
anyone that knows anything about RL knows that the ESL is more entertaining than the NRL. quicker play the balls open up the defence.

the problem with that is it gives a false indication of how good certain players are. Wellens for example... he looks like a world beater for Saints when there on the front foot... now with better defences he looks inept.

i think the ESL just needs to adopt abit more leeway in the ruck... it cuts most of the rubbish dummyhalf running out of the game and puts the impetus on the halves to create opportunities.[/b]

You are right and the way the ruck is patrolled sets the tone of how the game will be played. In 2005 Wests and North Queensland got away with blue murder in attack because the play the ball was so fast, defenses could not get set. The following year, the rucks were slowed down, and these world beating attacking sides could not make the play offs.

And while the rules in the NRL are such that a tackle around the boot laces will actually disadvantage the defending side, things are not going to improve

England need to learn how to not get raped on defence by simple backline moves that were all the rage in the NRL 5 years ago.

Wellens is a fantastic player for Saints when we're on the back foot. Even more so than when we're on the front foot, in fact. He had an appalling tournament but despite the moronic pundits from both sides of the world, he's still a top player and still easily the best full back England has to offer. So long as he continues to excel for Saints, I couldn't care less how he plays for England.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 20 2008, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wellens is a fantastic player for Saints when we're on the back foot. Even more so than when we're on the front foot, in fact. He had an appalling tournament but despite the moronic pundits from both sides of the world, he's still a top player and still easily the best full back England has to offer. So long as he continues to excel for Saints, I couldn't care less how he plays for England.[/b]

Sad but true.

This novel idea of playing Lee Smith or Leon Pryce or, most risible of all, Danny McGuire at full back, is stupidity of the highest order. Just because you're quick doesn't make you a good full back. See Ashton, Chris. Now a good winger in union, but a catastrophic full back in league.

Hmm... right I know next to nothing about RL apart from the fact I watch the games which make it onto BBC and I watched some of the world cup on a stream.

So here's an outsider's perspective:

1) International Rugby League is a shambles. Having no world cup for 8 years is weak. There's one outstanding team. Then there's New Zealand, who are meh and England who's most serious competition comes as Great Britain. The rest of the teams aren't worth worrying about. Plus, the format of the world cup just makes it look like there are only 2 good teams since England were made to look awful.

2) The Super League is an excellent competition with 4 or 5 great teams in it. The NRL obviously is a strong league. Both are popular.

However, because the sport is so limited in it's appeal - the north of england and australia - it's unlikely there will ever be a strong international scene (in comparison with say cricket and union where there are 8 or so serious teams). So, maybe a solution might be an expanded club season with more games between SL & NRL teams...???

- There was no World Cup for 8 years because Australia are that far ahead. I maintain the gap has closed despite England's bottle job in Australia.

- We have only had one Irish and two Welsh players in the GB team in the past decade. The idea that dividing the nations has weakened England is, in my opinion, totally and factually incorrect. England has always been the main feed for that team.

- There are now as many amateur clubs in the south of England as there are the north. Harlequins RL have got a full time home and are becoming a commercial success, providing players for the England squad and three for the train on squad. Celtic Crusaders are new to the league and I am convinced they're going to be a big success. Catalans have been a HUGE success. League is no longer a northern England game.

I doubt that the sport will become a massive international event like union is - we've had far too much damage in the early parts of last century to probably ever recover. Not in my lifetime, anyway. But I can live with that so long as the domestic scene continues to burgeon, which it is doing, more so than ever.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 21 2008, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I doubt that the sport will become a massive international event like union is - we've had far too much damage in the early parts of last century to probably ever recover. Not in my lifetime, anyway. But I can live with that so long as the domestic scene continues to burgeon, which it is doing, more so than ever.[/b]
I would have been very happy with a club world cup....the thought of seeing the 5 best from England and the 5 best from Australia excites me...as well as two from NZ, two from France and two from the rest of the world.  Competition would have been closer and more than one upset probably would have been on the cards.

Imagine the pools!

Look why change things this world cup has been a great showcase for league.The emergence of Fiji and PNG are two reasons to be hopefull for the future.