• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Six Nations squad 2022

Tbf to Eddie (which isn't something I'm happy doing) he did with Genge and LCD - though front row is a bit different in that you're required to have reserves in the side, so someone like Stuart: are his bench spots through legal requirement or as part of a progression plan?

Kinda with Ewels, though I doubt he'd have gotten so many starts if there'd not been injuries

Backs feel very all-or-nothing though

Watching the women, having a fast winger who can take advantage of space is so important. Non of England's wingers were pacey wingers who could do that.

Another issue with England is their off-loading game or the quick tap. Off-loading should be to players in some space after dragging defenders out of position. Most of the time England off-load when under pressure and then it puts others under pressure. As for the quick tap, so often England players just don't look ready and it leaves players like Randall being isolated.

Tbf to Eddie (which isn't something I'm happy doing) he did with Genge and LCD - though front row is a bit different in that you're required to have reserves in the side, so someone like Stuart: are his bench spots through legal requirement or as part of a progression plan?

Kinda with Ewels, though I doubt he'd have gotten so many starts if there'd not been injuries

Backs feel very all-or-nothing though
Didn't Sinks spend at least a year deputying to Cole as well?

Personally don't believe in the whole "bed" them in as a sub.
Either they are good enough to play international or not.

Only exception to that for me is front row and scrum half.
A lot of the times backs subs come down to versatility.

For example Steward would make zero sense being on the bench to begin with because he is limited in his positions.

Personally don't believe in the whole "bed" them in as a sub.
Either they are good enough to play international or not.

Only exception to that for me is front row and scrum half.
A lot of the times backs subs come down to versatility.

For example Steward would make zero sense being on the bench to begin with because he is limited in his positions.
See i disagree there that players need bedding in from the bench, some players are good enough to start straight away and some take time to get up speed and bennefit from 20 min stints to gain confidence and build up to starting.

Doesnt mean 1 player is good enough and 1 isnt and also doesnt mean that second player isnt ready it just means he takes to it differently

Watching the women, having a fast winger who can take advantage of space is so important. Non of England's wingers were pacey wingers who could do that.

Another issue with England is their off-loading game or the quick tap. Off-loading should be to players in some space after dragging defenders out of position. Most of the time England off-load when under pressure and then it puts others under pressure. As for the quick tap, so often England players just don't look ready and it leaves players like Randall being isolated.
That's assuming the fast players have space to even take advantage of, England have not really been creating those opportunities recently. Were there any cases this 6N where the speed, or lack of it, of our wingers really played a role at all in our success?

The other thing is the times we do make a break, players are so damn slow to react to it. A player can bust it up through the middle and most forwards will refuse to go forwards at anything more than a casual jog to support them.

That's assuming the fast players have space to even take advantage of, England have not really been creating those opportunities recently. Were there any cases this 6N where the speed, or lack of it, of our wingers really played a role at all in our success?

The other thing is the times we do make a break, players are so damn slow to react to it. A player can bust it up through the middle and most forwards will refuse to go forwards at anything more than a casual jog to support them.
A proper winger 1 on 1 will often create half breaks and give momentum, doesn't need to be clear cut opportunity, I also think a couple of Marchants line breaks might have lead to more if he had genuine Gas outside him.

A proper winger 1 on 1 will often create half breaks and give momentum, doesn't need to be clear cut opportunity, I also think a couple of Marchants line breaks might have lead to more if he had genuine Gas outside him.
The thing is, Nowell 1 on 1 is actually very good at half breaks so I don't buy this. In tight spaces you want a winger with good change of direction or very slippery, which Nowell is. Speedsters need space to gas past someone. I can't think of any time where our wingers were in a position to try to gas the opposition on the outside and failed to do so due to lack of pace. They did make half breaks in traffic though.

The thing is, Nowell 1 on 1 is actually very good at half breaks so I don't buy this. In tight spaces you want a winger with good change of direction or very slippery, which Nowell is. Speedsters need space to gas past someone. I can't think of any time where our wingers were in a position to try to gas the opposition on the outside and failed to do so due to lack of pace. They did make half breaks in traffic though.
I don't remember Nowell being hugely effective 1 on 1 post injury (I am a huge fan but since shedding a few pounds I don't think he has the same USP) if I am honest, I remember very few if any half breaks they simply do not have the cutting edge, of all the nations I genuinely believe our wingers this six nations were the least effective.

I think it's fair to say all of the above with the caveat 'used to' not seen much of that recently.

I want him to add his weight back on as he just doesn't seem to offer the threat he used to.

I've always thought the only position where you 100% need an X factor is wing. Sadly I don't see Malins or Nowell offering that at the moment.

Watson's very good at that, he really accelerates into contact often getting those extra couple of metres that others don't. Even if he can't get the pass away the team's on the front foot.

A winger needs a trick. It can be gas like Watson or May, ability to turn in a telephone box like Robinson or power as we hope Coka might be. But they need to have something for defences to worry about.

Watson's very good at that, he really accelerates into contact often getting those extra couple of metres that others don't. Even if he can't get the pass away the team's on the front foot.

A winger needs a trick. It can be gas like Watson or May, ability to turn in a telephone box like Robinson or power as we hope Coka might be. But they need to have something for defences to worry about.
Experienced
Watson - Speed, step and good in the air,
May - Speed, worked to develop a v strong all round game about just speed.
Nowell - USED TO alway make metres in contact to get you on the front foot and be hard to stop, also had a very good workrate around the park. Unfortunatly not as affective atm.
Current
Nowell - above
Malins - good balance runner with good passing game, but doesnt have the pace or power or footwork to beat a defender.

Potential
Radwan - speed but needs to use May as his example and work hard like he did.
Big Joe - so gutted he got injured as id have loved to see his game develop further, he's big, pretty powerful and fast but also has that trademark Fijian offload in contact.

Right now we are without experienced wingers, current wings dont really have a USP(nowell isnt who he used to be) and the potential wingers they aren't using or there form isnt quite there.

What do we do?

Murley deffo deserves a look to find out whether he's a prem great or more. OHC is way overdue the same. Wingers are way easier to fit into a squad than any other position and it's clear that it's a weakness right now

I think this has to be the most frustrating thing about EJs selections. If he does select a proper winger it won't be one playing and in form, it will be a 19 year old who he's *spotted*. I think his got a thing about finding new talent and bringing it to the public. Trying to make himself look like a visionary.

Latest posts