• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England squad for SA tour

He's not nearly as effective on the wing though. Shoehorning the best player into the wrong shirt doesn't fix that problem.

With only what five days or so to prepare I think Meyer will go for his usual hugh pack, massive kick chase style of rugby and try and beat the hell out of England.
Foden is better at full back returning the ball with one of the wings on his shoulder. No matter what he is going to have a pretty tough game and needs to start well.

Apparently Andy Farrell has walked out on Sarries, wanting to join the England set up.
I hope they tell him to swivel.

Apparently Andy Farrell has walked out on Sarries, wanting to join the England set up.
I hope they tell him to swivel.

According to five live at twelve the RFU would not give up chasing him and it would seem making him a pretty decent offer. It must have been to get him to walk away from Sarries as seems the case here. I would expect to see him back with England by the end of the year.

I do not think he will make the SA tour but England do need a coach. Catt doing both attack and defence is not ideal. Is Farrell the right man for the job with his dull style of rugby that's a different story.

What about farrell as defence coach and catt as attack coach? It's not as if we can't afford a few top coaches??? Could work well together, sarries defence london irishes attack?

Having Farrell as just the defence coach wouldn't be too bad, but if it was just one of them to do attack+defence, I would much rather have Catt I think.

Knowing our luck we'd end up with Sarries attack and Not Nots defence :lol:

Hopefully Lancaster will come to his senses and put Tim Payne somewhere in the backline

Where does this myth that Catt is a good coach come from? He's no better then Brian Smith.

my 30 man squad

backs (19)

anthony allen (leicester tigers)
chris ashton (northampton saints)
brad barritt (saracens)
mike brown (harlequins)
danny care (harlequins)
lee dickson (northampton saints)
owen farrell (saracens)
toby flood (leicester tigers)
ben foden (northampton saints)
alex goode (saracens)
charlie hodgson (saracens)
jonathan joseph (london irish)
george lowe (harlequins)
ugo monye (harlequins)
david strettle (saracens)
manu tuilagi (leicester tigers)
jordan turner-hall (harlequins)
christian wade (london wasps)
ben youngs (leicester tigers)

no banahan?! ;o

Where does this myth that Catt is a good coach come from? He's no better then Brian Smith.

Beat me to it.

There's more evidence of Smith being a good coach tbh.

edit: Just seen Launchbury out, Gibson in. I am sadcat, even if I rate Gibson highly.

Last edited:
I'm still yet to see any evidence that Smith ISN'T an inept tool...

I'm still yet to see any evidence that Smith ISN'T an inept tool...

More highly regarded by LI fans. Also, he did manage to get tries out of a backline containing Hape and Tindall, which is impressive, even if its his own damn fault they were there in the first place.

With Daddy in, there's no hope anymore. Owen will be England's 10 whatever he does as long as Lancaster is the boss. Doors closed for a quality fly half in a few years. What a nonsense, I would probably pick ten or twelve players for the job ahead of Farrell jr. It's hard to find an international fly half with such a poor distribution game. Most overrated player in centuries

Farrel Sr. is defense coach would be a good thing.

Are there really 10 to 12 English 10s ahead of Farrel though?

Smith is the guy who encouraged Noon and Tindall in the same midfield. He also advocated kickchase rugby. Pfft.

Well, I guess it's me. I must be blind, but Farell Jr. looks to me mediocre, at best. Toby Flood is the best option by far. Otherwise I prefer Burns, George Ford, Twelvetrees or whoever.
Havving said that I find it difficult to find a 12 with less attack abilities in the Premiership than Farrell, so any other would be just fine. Hape was as good or as average as Farrell.
Why this player is ever considered at intrnational level is beyond me. Therfore I assume I must be completely blind.

Latest posts