• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Australia (13/11)

well I'm afraid Sky Sports don't agree with anyone on here it seems. They've rated everyone 7/10 or above apart from Smith who they deemed was 6/10. Even the headline was "Returning Farrell helps England see off Australia". Did he, did he really? He kicked the pens certainly, but pretty sure Smith could have done that without him. Aside from that I didn't see anything to suggest he did more than get in Smiths way and, along with Manu out of position, prevented Smith from playing his usual very impressive game.

I also agree that Slade was a bit nobbled by too many playmakers and not enough brawn in the centres. He's a pretty handy player in my opinion, but he needs the right mix around him.

There is a glimmer of hope for Saturday with Faz limping off (I wouldn't wish injury on any player but..) forcing Jones to select the back line that I think we all want to see namely:

9. Young's (ideally Quirk but that's a pipe dream)
10. Smith
11. May
12. Slade
13. Manu
14. Radwan
15. Steward

Have Malins on the bench with Quirk and that would no doubt keep us all happy. It's bound to be a 6/2 split for SA, which would make sense.

And so once again we get back to the problem of Faz at 12... Seriously the amount of disruption he causes to all those around him in preventing them from playing to their strengths. Maybe Jones sees something I don't but it really seems him and Youngs are disproportionately holding the team back so much by limiting their options.

I've noticed more recently his tendency to shovel on crap ball to avoid being hit, instead letting someone else get smashed. That's pretty **** poor from a captain. He did it to both Smith and Slade in the last game, letting them get absolutely floored rather than Farrell taking a much less forceful hit.
This is exacerbated by his lack of running game, which means that the opposition midfield knows exactly where the ball is going whenever he decides not to kick and hence they can line up their hits

I'm really struggling to understand what Jones sees at all in Farrell these days. I watched the Australia game this morning (as I missed it live) and have to say watching England sober is eye opening as Farrell looks so off the pace in everything he does.

Also of note how much better we are with Curry at 7 and Dombrant at 8. I know I love to question Jones but surely he must realise that he is making some obvious mistakes. Manu on the wing was an absolute joke.

10 Smith
12 Manu
13 Farrell
More balanced, and drops someone who hasn't really shown they've earned the shirt properly.

10 Smith
12 Tuilagi
13 Slade
Would be even better though, as at least Slade is accustomed to defending the OC channel - even i his performance against Australia casts doubt as to whether he's accustomed to attacking there.

10 Smith
12 Farrell
13 Tuilagi
Would be the most reasonable selection, even i I would rather we found someone else.

10 Smith
12 Tuilagi
13 Marchant
Could be something special - but may necessitate a 2nd distributor at FB (Malins)

Last edited:
Does Marchant have any obvious weaknesses to his game? Asking as someone who hasnt seen much of him

Eh I feel that he can be exposed postionally in defence, he doesn't back off tackles but I have seen teams expose the 13 wing channel v Quins fairly well.

Latest posts