• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Samoa

<div class='quotemain'> To the people saying Jonny is now crap etc.

Try playing your first match back after an injury against a Samoan side who don't really aim to win, but to avoid a yellow card. [/b]

I don't understand. Samoa needed to win to avoid going out.
[/b][/quote]

I mean to say that Samoa like to play rough, hard, but now that they looked like they were out, they just went to injure players.

Lima has been cited I see, end of his World Cup career in a bad fashion.

Still, Samoa proved yesterday that they can compete. They will eventually get there.. personally i'd like to see the pacific islanders have a go in 2011 or 2015 rather than the 3 seperate teams.

[/b]
Well said mate. Personally, my biggest ever Christmas wish would be that, once the current SANZAR/Newscorp deal expires end of 2010, to see a complete overhaul of the tri-nations/ Super 14. With the Argies and a combined PI team joining the tri-nations in a SH 5-nations, with each of the 5 teams getting 2 home and 2 away games, rotating on an annual basis.

That would also open up the possibility of all 3 countries i.e. Samoa, Tonga and Fiji playing as a franchise in an expanded Super 16/Super 2 (?). Look, I know that this might be a touchy subject to have a national side almost reduced to a franchise, but the fact remains that if ever the 3 PI teams did bring together their respective strengths, all of a sudden you`ll have another real heavy hitter, capable of at leat a RWC semi spot, right there. Imagine the relative strength of the Tongan set-pieces, the defensive qualities of Samoa, and throw in a touch of flying Fijian flair in the backs, and you have the makings of a very serious contender right there.

Yeah, it would be good to have the Super 14 expanded to accommodate Tonga, Fiji and Samoa. Argentina will prove in this World Cup they are better than Sanzar give credit for.

Look who's playing from these islands.. guys like Toeava, Rokocoko, Sivivatu, Jerry Collins, Nili Latu.. etc etc these guys have all got where they are by tough competition. I'm sure they'd all love to play for a team that represents them as islanders, and not as wannabe all blacks.

Their is no reason why Alesana Tuilagi, Gavin Williams and co wouldn't do well in Super 14 if they were with a Pacific-based franchise. A lot of Samoa, Tongan and Fijians end up in Japan at the moment and that can't be a good level for them in improve.

<div class='quotemain'>
Still, Samoa proved yesterday that they can compete. They will eventually get there.. personally i'd like to see the pacific islanders have a go in 2011 or 2015 rather than the 3 seperate teams.

[/b]
Well said mate. Personally, my biggest ever Christmas wish would be that, once the current SANZAR/Newscorp deal expires end of 2010, to see a complete overhaul of the tri-nations/ Super 14. With the Argies and a combined PI team joining the tri-nations in a SH 5-nations, with each of the 5 teams getting 2 home and 2 away games, rotating on an annual basis.

That would also open up the possibility of all 3 countries i.e. Samoa, Tonga and Fiji playing as a franchise in an expanded Super 16/Super 2 (?). Look, I know that this might be a touchy subject to have a national side almost reduced to a franchise, but the fact remains that if ever the 3 PI teams did bring together their respective strengths, all of a sudden you`ll have another real heavy hitter, capable of at leat a RWC semi spot, right there. Imagine the relative strength of the Tongan set-pieces, the defensive qualities of Samoa, and throw in a touch of flying Fijian flair in the backs, and you have the makings of a very serious contender right there.

[/b][/quote]

That would be an excellent idea. There was a PI team touring the NH during last years Autumn Internationals but they suffered because of lack of preparation and lack of proper game time together. However, the concept was there and when not breaking Chris Cusiter's legs, they played some entertaining rugby.

A revamped SH international competition and league would be exceedingly cool but while the concept of a SH 5 Nations could be easily within grasp, unless Argentina's Union agrees to professionalise, an expanded club competition could still be fantasy for some time to come. SANZAR can hardly be blamed if the Argentine Union doesn't want to play ball over professionalism.

Hi everybody,

I'm french and live in Nantes where England - Samoa took place.
I was at the stadium and had a good moment in.
The players offered us an interesting match and i can't forget english fans songs.
At the end of the match, i was really impressed by the fairplays of both team.
Come on Johnny !! What a player !!
I hope England will be in quarter-final and that your team will prove as our team that south hemispher teams arenot unbeatable.

Bye