• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

English/Welsh league

I don't think you can use league places as an argument for whether they'd be good enough because that would completely defeat the purpose of the Welsh sides joining a "superior" league because that would mean that the Welsh shouldn't move league as they are performing averagely in the "inferior" pro 12. Based on players I don't think they would survive is what I'm trying to say.
No, but it indicates that we aren't the weakest Welsh side compared to last year. I'd say our players aren't as good name wise, but they are developing into a decent team for what they have. Futhermore I'd say we have the best coaching staff ATM.

I think the rivalry would come more from it being England (clubs) vs Wales (regions) rather than it being, say, Gloucester vs Newport etc.
Do think it'd garner decent interest though, if only as it'd freshen things up a bit - when teams get promoted they usually get a few more away fans travelling to them as it's a novelty to go to a new ground/see a new team - think this would happen with the Regions too.

Between the Heineken and the LV (ok, not the real thing), I rather suspect the majority of English fans interested in a new ground have been to Wales by now. I also hear the attendance figures don't show the sort of bounce you'd expect for Anglo-Welsh attendance figures if the level of attraction people are talking about is true. Might try and dig out where I saw that.

Throw in the fact the Welsh will set up alternate clubs/keep a few if you believe the rumours and start getting the best Welsh players into them, plus the fact they've already lost a lot of their best, and it doesn't sound too appealing.

I'm open minded about this until i see what benefit it actually has for the English and England team. This may be selfish, but if anyone actually thinks the Welsh are wanting it so as to benefit England, then think again.

IMO this is heavily weighted in favour of the Welsh and any notion that they should also get the added bonus of non-relegation is just preposterous.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves here....what about the WRU? They are clearly against it because, like the football teams, the Welsh teams will fall under the control of the RFU governing body. And wouldn't any up and coming Welsh boys be eligible to play for England if they play 3 yrs in the English league?

IMO there has to be a recognition by the Unions of the Celtic nations, especially the WRU, that more emphasis and effort has to be put in to saving a Euro competition with all teams involved and all clubs/regions/ franchises benefiting as equal partners and not with any lop-sided slant towards one side or the other.

Another alternative would be, seeing as England.gov already own Wales, why dont the RFU buy the WRU?

Presumably the WRU would pay the PRL, like the RFU do, to have access to the players.

Latest posts