• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Enough of that World Cup nonsense - its RabidDog time! Ulster vs Glasgow

Peat

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Ulster
Its all going to end in tears down in New Zealand, so enough of that and more of the domestic leagues. Great chance for the young 'uns to strut their stuff and so on. Ulster squad named.

PRO12: Ulster Squad v Glasgow
30 August 2011, 12:07 pmBy Richard Finlay

Paul Marshall put in a lively display against Harlequins
Ulster coach Brian McLaughlin has named a 29 man squad ahead of Ulster's RaboDirect PRO12 opener against Glasgow at Ravenhill on Friday evening (kick off 7.05pm).
Share New signings Callum Black, Lewis Stevenson and Mike McComish could be in line to play their first competitive game. Prop Adam Macklin and utility back Peter Nelson could also earn their first cap for Ulster. Eighteen year old Nelson has featured in the pre season friendlies against Neath and Harlequins.
Despite having nine players involved in the Rugby World Cup, Ulster can still call on the experience of Chris Henry, Pedrie Wannenburg and Dan Tuohy in the forwards. The backs will be hoping for a repeat of the speed and flair they showed in attack against Harlequins on Friday night.

Glasgow will themselves be without eight players during the World Cup, including Scotland captain Alastair Kellock. Former Ulster wing Tommy Seymour is now on Glasgow’s books and could make an immediate return to Ravenhill if named in the squad.

Ulster Rugby would like to remind supporters that this season ticket zoning and scanning will be in operation at the ground and supporters should check their tickets to ensure that are entering through the correct gate. More details are available at http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/9575.php.

Ulster Rugby also encourages supporters coming to the game to avoid parking along Onslow Parade/Ravenhill Park and Mount Merrion Avenue as traffic control will be in operation.

Forwards

Paddy McAllister, Callum Black, Jerry Cronin, Declan Fitzpatrick, Adam Macklin, John Burns, Andi Kyriacou, Nigel Brady, Dan Tuohy, Lewis Stevenson, Tim Barker, Neil McComb, Mike McComish, Pedrie Wannenburg, Chris Henry, Willie Faloon, Robbie Diack.

Backs

Paul Marshall, Ian Porter, Ian Humphreys, Paddy Jackson, Ian Whitten, Luke Marshall, Nevin Spence, Darren Cave, Peter Nelson, Conor Gaston, Craig Gilroy, Adam D’Arcy.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/9608.php

Glasgow squad tba

I've bolded a name there, doubt he'll play but Peter Nelson is just out of school. He's played 13 for Irish Schools, 12 for Ulster U20s, fullback for Ulster against Neath and I think he may have come on as a winger against Quins, can goal kick and is clearly highly rated. Seems his time is coming sooner rather than later, where ever that may be, and its great to see another kid lined up to come off of the backs conveyor belt that seems to be rumbling in Ulster at the moment.

Anyway, as strong a squad as we can put out now, will be interesting to see which combinations Sir names. Glasgow will be missing about as many names and apparently Beattie will be carrying a knock and unable to play, I hope so as he's on their best players left. Promises to be a good match. Confident but slightly on edge about this.

Glasgow squad tba

so much promising youth!!!

( in hindsight that sounds creepy )

looking good for ulster this year can feel it in my bones

LETS GO UKSTER RABID DOG SEMIS HERE WE COME!

center's should be intresting this year

cave or spence at 13 ?
or both ?
what happens when mincer returns?
what is poor old whitten going to do?

so much promising youth!!!

( in hindsight that sounds creepy )

We'll pretend that didn't come out slightly paedophilic.

cave or spence at 13 ?
or both ?
what happens when mincer returns?
what is poor old whitten going to do?

Good questions, looking forwards to seeing what happens. Personally I'd start Cave at 13 but Spence will get his go at some point I'm sure. I imagine Mincer will slot straight back in, IRFU orders if nothing else.

And Ian Whitten will just have to move to Munster and become their 12 ;)

edit: Glasgae team

Glasgow team
Welsh, MaArthur, Cusack, Ryder, Harley (c), Eddie, Fusaro, Wilson, Gregor, Weir, Shaw, Nathan, Dewey, Seymour, Hogg.

Bench - Gillies, Grant, Kalman, Campbell, Pitman, Pygros, Horne, Aramburu.

Last edited:
Or maybe Ian Whitten moves ot the wing... yes...

PRO12: Ulster team v Glasgow
Brian McLaughlin has named a strong side for the home clash with Glasgow this Friday (kick off 7.05pm).
Related Multimedia
Paul Marshall and Ian Humphreys will dictate affairs from half back and will again team up with centres Nevin Spence and Darren Cave. Ian Whitten finds himself out of his regular position in the centre as he occupies the left wing berth for the first time. He is joined in the back three by Adam D'Arcy and last season's top try scorer Craig Gilroy.
Chris Henry will captain the side from number 8 and is joined in the back row by the experienced Pedrie Wannenburg and Willie Faloon. Lewis Stevenson will make his first competitive appearance for Ulster and will partner Dan Tuohy in the second row. Jerry Cronin, Paddy McAllister and Andi Kyriacou make up Ulster's front row.

Academy duo Conor Carey and Peter Nelson, as well as development player Adam Macklin, are named among the replacements so are in line for their first competitive appearance.

Nelson, in his first year out of school, has impressed in the pre-season friendly matches against Neath and Harlequins and will cover positions 11 to 15. Nineteen year old Carey has been playing club rugby for Ballymena and put in a number of excellent performances for the Ravens in the British & Irish Cup last year. Macklin also appeared for the Ravens but missed most of last season with an ankle injury.

Nigel Brady, Neil McComb, Ian Porter and Paddy Jackson are the other players named on the bench.

McLaughlin is confident that his side can hit the ground running, after an excellent pre-season win over Harlequins last Friday. "Against Harlequins we set our stall out, we wanted to show our fans what they can expect from us at Ravenhill this season. The key thing is that we build on what we did last weekend. We're very pleased with the tempo that we played at; we're pleased with the way that we were trying to play," he said.

"We've got to make sure we cross the whitewash on Friday night and do exactly the same, only better. It's a matter now of proving we can do it in the heat of battle and in the heat of the competition."

McLaughlin feels the World Cup call ups that have hit his squad is a positive, rather than a negative: "To have nine players away representing their country is outstanding for us and we're very pleased. From our point of view it's exciting and challenging. We're looking forward to the challenge; we're looking forward to seeing how are youth perform at this level. It's vital for them and it's vital for our future. For them it's a great opportunity, it's a great challenge for us and it's one that we really want to get our teeth into."

The Ulster coach feels the early stages will go a great way to show who is capable of challenging for honours at the end of the season. "I hope that we will be up there in and around the top three or four, that's one of our aims. But we'll have to wait and see how all the teams react over the next 6 or 7 weeks, how they progress or regress in relation to having players away. The final placings in the league will not be decided in the next 6 or 7 weeks but I think you'll get a fair handle on just what other sides have in their squads."

Ulster (15-9): A D'Arcy; C Gilroy, D Cave, N Spence, I Whitten; I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-8) P McAllister, A Kyriacou, J Cronin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, P Wannenburg, W Faloon, C Henry (capt).
Replacements: N Brady, C Carey, A Macklin, N McComb, R Diack, I Porter, P Jackson, P Nelson.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/9614.php

Latest posts