• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Scotland vs South Africa 16/11/13

How did SA knock it on sliding backwards towards their try line? Or is it a scrum for carried back??

Did that TMO actually know what he was doing there? "I think its a scrum".

As a Frenchman worried for my XV de France, I must say this:
Scotland reminded me of France many times here today. The intent to score a well constructed try has been there literally the - whole - way. As we've played lately this Autumn (well, all year really). Some passes were made, some times in abundance, seemingly going somewhere, and then boom, unforced error, no Sprinbok there, Scotland just brainfart. And that's all they did. The whole 80. Good, respectable intent to really play the sport, but boom, handling fk-ups galore.

So as I was saying, we look like Scotland did today at times, and we've certainly never had a full game of great passing and attacking ability in 2013, only in stretches, some times lengthy ones, but never 80.
And we'll be punished by the formidable Springboks as was Scotland if we play that way. Scotland today were sort of like our "sentinel" so to speak. We now see with more clarity yet we need to be neat with the ball, not necessarily All-Black like, just adroit.

I really don't see the point in Bakkies' return to the Boks. He has been a great player for them, but they should be building for the 2015 RWC and Bakkies is not going to be part of that team and he is unlikely to be playing on TRC next year. So why bring him back unless it is to be the elder statesmen, but they have enough of those on the team. They should be getting EE and PSdT as many tests together as possible so that the become the Matfield-Botha combo for the future.

By by the way, isn't it unbelievable to see Bakkies and Ali Williams packing down arm in arm for scrums at Toulon?

And Flower of Scotland as it is done at Murrayfield, with the second half of the song a capella, is great. IMHO second only to Land of Our Fathers, at least in terms of NH anthems.

Ps. HM is the rugby coach most likely to die of a coronary during a match. He always looks like he is under extreme stress. The (interim) Scottish coach looked disinterested whenever he was shown.

Louw's work rate is out of this world.

Where are all the South African fans?!

Well, I was watching the game at the pub and not on my laptop at home. Quite rude to be on my phone the entire game haha

Aaaaaand it's a shut-out win!!!

What a performance by our forwards. As the weather and the pitch worsened, so did the game.

Bakkies and Flip were tremendous in the tight areas. Duane and Willem tackled like monsters and Willie was pure class, not only in attack but also in positional play.

For once Lambie's kicking was the only part of his game that wasn't off. Did Jaque Fourie or the wings ever recieved the ball from a front foot ball in the attacking area??

Downside was Bismarck's throwing into the line-outs. Not a single successful throw.

So we've won 2 games and didn't concede a single try in the 2 outings. Our Defence was immense!

Oh and us Saffas aren't used to watching games on Sundays. It's a day of going to church, have a family braai or potjie (like I had), being lazy and sleeping a lot.

That said, I think all the Cape based fans will be a bit silent for a short while, they had massive floods the last few days and only started with the cleanup today.

You should see Somerset West and Strand... Terrible...

Good game I thought, our attack worries me a bit, but then again Scotland defended like demons and the conditions wasn't that great. I'd like to see a tad more creativity from the rest of the backs, and not just see Willie and (not today) Habana making magic.

Oh and I wish I could revive my post from 2010 or 2011 saying that Willie will one day be a great Bok (and Eze not agreeing with me :D )

Nick Mallett said that we must treat the Scots with disdain, and I think we did a good job of that. We only went for the 3 points once, and then Lambie missed the kick. All the other times we went for the lineout, and on 2 occasions we scored tries through the driving maul.

I think Eze has to rethink a few things... Not just on Willie, but also Lambie. with the amount of ball we had, our backline should've been much more attacking. and Lambie played too flat and went on his own way too much.

Lambie is just not making the cut at fly half for the boks...

Nick Mallett said that we must treat the Scots with disdain, and I think we did a good job of that. We only went for the 3 points once, and then Lambie missed the kick. All the other times we went for the lineout, and on 2 occasions we scored tries through the driving maul.

I think Eze has to rethink a few things... Not just on Willie, but also Lambie. with the amount of ball we had, our backline should've been much more attacking. and Lambie played too flat and went on his own way too much.

I love the passion of your coach nick mallet. He is a passionate guy who seems to wear his aggression on his sleeve. A former Rhodes schlolar.A highly intelligent man.When you treat weaker teams with disdain it creates fear in your opponents.None of us are giving the French a chance .

A couple of things;

- SA fans were either braaiing or helping out trying to limit flood damage (us in the Cape)

On the actual game

- what the hell call was that from the TMO there at the end; we all had a good laugh
- good to have a shut-out but really, we should have been at the 40 point mark but credit to Scotland; they contained well for the most part and did start making in roads at the end, though I do feel a lot of that has to do with
- Bismarck's line-out throwing; what!?, lets hope that was a rare off day as I see him starting against France and we can't give possession away like that against France.
- what a horrendous pitch and that after the pitch in Wales wasn't too great either, c'mon, this is test rugby and the groundkeepers and/or decision makers should be considering overhauls
- Le Roux, what class, can come from nowhere to strike, I'd like to see him AND Habana on top of their game for next week, not alternating the 'spark' duties
- Jaque Fourie went from a solid game if unspectacular to ****
- there was really no need to include Bakkies and PSdT would/could/should probably have gotten a good debut under the belt
- good scrambling defense, we will probably need to be solid in out 1st up tackling against France next week

Have to agree with that. Lambie has been great at Currie Cup and Super Rugby, but isn't looking great at international level at 10. He's still young, so there's plenty of time for him to grow into it, but it's strange to wonder how many more tries they could have scored if Steyn had started :lol:

A couple of things;

- SA fans were either braaiing or helping out trying to limit flood damage (us in the Cape)

Are you guys alright?? I saw some photos and that storm made some damage!

We had the opposite! It was soooo effing hot here in Limpopo!! Last night at 20:00 when I drove home, the temperature was 32 degrees celsius!!

- what the hell call was that from the TMO there at the end; we all had a good laugh

What bothered me more was that there was no big screen footage for the ref to see what was going on!
- good to have a shut-out but really, we should have been at the 40 point mark but credit to Scotland; they contained well for the most part and did start making in roads at the end, though I do feel a lot of that has to do with
In all honesty I would've liked one more try, but the pitch and the weather made it really hard in the second half to do something other than pick and drive.

- Bismarck's line-out throwing; what!?, lets hope that was a rare off day as I see him starting against France and we can't give possession away like that against France.
It was weird to see him throw like that! did he take classes from Scarra Ntubeni before the game??

- what a horrendous pitch and that after the pitch in Wales wasn't too great either, c'mon, this is test rugby and the groundkeepers and/or decision makers should be considering overhauls
Clifton Beach has more grip than Murrayfield!! Shocking!! and HM was worried about the pitch before the game!

- Le Roux, what class, can come from nowhere to strike, I'd like to see him AND Habana on top of their game for next week, not alternating the 'spark' duties
Willie was awesome!! But I think he will be on the bench against France

- Jaque Fourie went from a solid game if unspectacular to ****
His defensive organising was good, but apart from that, really really crap. JJ could've come on a lot earlier!
- there was really no need to include Bakkies and PSdT would/could/should probably have gotten a good debut under the belt
Bakkies had a good game! and proved to HM that he still has fuel in the tank! I think he did what was expected of him, without any thuggish antics
- good scrambling defense, we will probably need to be solid in out 1st up tackling against France next week
This impressed me the most! To get a shut-out win doesn't happen that often!

Are you guys alright?? I saw some photos and that storm made some damage!

We had the opposite! It was soooo effing hot here in Limpopo!! Last night at 20:00 when I drove home, the temperature was 32 degrees celsius!!

What bothered me more was that there was no big screen footage for the ref to see what was going on!

In all honesty I would've liked one more try, but the pitch and the weather made it really hard in the second half to do something other than pick and drive.

It was weird to see him throw like that! did he take classes from Scarra Ntubeni before the game??

Clifton Beach has more grip than Murrayfield!! Shocking!! and HM was worried about the pitch before the game!

Willie was awesome!! But I think he will be on the bench against France

His defensive organising was good, but apart from that, really really crap. JJ could've come on a lot earlier!

Bakkies had a good game! and proved to HM that he still has fuel in the tank! I think he did what was expected of him, without any thuggish antics

This impressed me the most! To get a shut-out win doesn't happen that often!

I'm alright, yeah, thanks. I was helping out at my parents where the ground floor is just about a write-off. Hopefully no problems with the foundations as they are on a bit of a slope. Luckily a tree that fell missed their house by bout 1/2 a meter. But yeah, sadly there are some out there with a lot of troubles.

We are in agreement. I would just like if Le Roux could be allowed of couple of games playing at 15 on the trot. He has been moved around from 15 to bench to 14 to bench to 15.. it just seems a shame.

I'm alright, yeah, thanks. I was helping out at my parents where the ground floor is just about a write-off. Hopefully no problems with the foundations as they are on a bit of a slope. Luckily a tree that fell missed their house by bout 1/2 a meter. But yeah, sadly there are some out there with a lot of troubles.

We are in agreement. I would just like if Le Roux could be allowed of couple of games playing at 15 on the trot. He has been moved around from 15 to bench to 14 to bench to 15.. it just seems a shame.

Glad to hear that you guys are okay!

Willie has been moved around a bit, but that's because of the Cheetahs also moving him around a lot. It would be nice if he can settle in at 15 permanently, but that I think will only happen next year, at the earliest.

Oh by the way, I was at the live performance of Toks and Tjops on Friday night at my High School. I met a few of the guys of the show and had a lot of fun. Arno Botha was also there and he took part in a celebrity cycle tour. He told us that he's doing well with the recovery and will start rugby training with the Bulls next week... A bit off topic I know, but I wanted to share this.

Being in front of a PC while watching my Bok play is the very last thing I want to do.
Must have terrible weather or illness before I go to that level.

We went to a family resort this weekend and I got sunburn like a Boss in 35 degrees sunshine (yes it exist) but it was huge fun.
Got home to watch the game Sunday at 17H00 our time and what a nice way to round off an excellent Saffa weekend.

As I said before the game, time we shut them up for good, and we did, now for the Frenchies, nom nom

Being in front of a PC while watching my Bok play is the very last thing I want to do.
Must have terrible weather or illness before I go to that level.

We went to a family resort this weekend and I got sunburn like a Boss in 35 degrees sunshine (yes it exist) but it was huge fun.
Got home to watch the game Sunday at 17H00 our time and what a nice way to round off an excellent Saffa weekend.

As I said before the game, time we shut them up for good, and we did, now for the Frenchies, nom nom

You were probably in the Northern part of the country! The whole weekend was blerrie hot in Polokwane!!

Saturday's Maximum was 41 degrees celsius and Yesterday was 38 degrees celsius!! I got sunburn from sitting in my house!!!

Was just outside Pretoria - Manzi Monate - nice clean resort

Latest posts