• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Wales vs. South Africa 09/11/13

I see the bookies have SA at a 2 to 4 point winning margin with the majority going for 3 while www.planetrugby.com have SA winning at 9! Personally I'm going for SA by 5.

FYI : Wales is not the Lions and SA is not the Wallabies
We speak again

If PSDT gives the Wales forwards some bad memories on his debut perhaps we will be known instead as PTSD
LOL, I like it.

PSdT is a big lad but his value lies in his work rate IMO. Hope he gets at least 30 minutes.

FYI : Wales is not the Lions and SA is not the Wallabies
We speak again

I like these bold words. I'll be tempering my expectations though.

We have a lot of guys coming in new or new-ish;

Lambie at 15, Frans Malherbe uncapped starting TH is a big one, the return of JPP and J Fourie, PSdT uncapped on the bench. All have question marks to some extent hanging over them. I'm leaning towards all 5 of them making an impact for the better though.

I find myself thinking that what I am looking forward to most in this match is the 1st scrum.

Last edited:
This will be the first time I've seen Adam Jones with the new laws which will be interesting.
Also, how has the Bok scrum coped/developed with the new laws?

haven't you been watching the RC??

We have again a very dominant scrum. And because we have a heavy pack of forwards, we get the drive on and even better front foot ball off scrums...

If I were Wales, I'd not just worry about the line-outs anymore...

This will be the first time I've seen Adam Jones with the new laws which will be interesting.
Also, how has the Bok scrum coped/developed with the new laws?

SA has fared very well under the new engagement sequence. Our guys are generally strong and heavy and the static start favors power IMO assuming that the prop does get into the right position of course as power without getting it channeled right means nothing.

The worry but also opportunity here is that with Janne du Plessis out we have brought in a very very green tight head prop in 22 year old, 124kg, 1,9m WP based Frans Malherbe. The guy has shown huge promise and offers more apart from the scrum than Jannie who has been something of a liability in defense (responsible for leaking quite a number of the tries we have conceded this year). So having him thrown in at the deep end is exciting and Wales should be a proper test in this department.

I almost can't belive Jones hasn't scrummed under the new sequence yet. That's something else to keep an eye on then. I am just glad Wales have their 1st choice front row out to properly test against.

I have good faith in the Welsh scrum. I don't care about the new laws and all that's been said, when you have Adam Jones, that alone, but then add a Hibbard and Gethin Jenkins, you're not exactly going back-pedalling for 80 minutes. They will DEFINITELY miss Alex Cuthbert and Jamie Roberts, just learned they weren't playing...very, very annoyed to read that.
On the article I'm reading:
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,9817_9014187,00.html

They state that Wales has won only 1 out of 22 SANZAR matches since Gatland took over, six years ago.
Wales have to once and for all eradicate those useless statistics from their minds, and hope for just a little bit of luck - because yes, in every long competition there's the luck factor - that exactly which they've been almost comically lacking all those close matches. And I do say "almost" comical.

As a neutral, I can only root for Wales. S.A. have shown they're a fantastic side again, much, much more impressive than last year. They hosted that little thing last summer at home, put 30 or 50 on everyone and everybody in the country was happy then had a successful TRC. But Wales are longing for this like some creature in some mythology tale would long for Love or a human form or wtrvr.
Gotta go with my NH friends. Will be cheering for the side that has the most beautiful anthem in the whole world.
Sorry stormer !

But in terms of a rational prediction...I have a horrible, horrible feeling this will be just another chapter in Welsh's heart-wrenching history against SANZAR sides. I almost would prefer to see Wales play a nice game, but lose by a good 8-9 points so they don't feel even more gutted. If Wale lose by within 5pts, I'm going to feel sick to my stomach for them. Sorry to even bring this up, it's not "real" !! :p
aaaah, it's just a sport in the end...
GODSPEED CYMRU !

oh you poor thing, hadn't thought about it for you ! You must be horribly torn by this, why, you must not even know who'll look cuter between Leigh and Pat Lambie ! The harsh, harsh choices in the Rugby life...
It's a terrible state of affairs. Already had the 'who are you supporting' questions. Just have another day of this and then I am free for another few months. But yeah, Lambie, Pietersen, PSdT, tough to cheer against them.

I have to hide somewhere.

It's a terrible state of affairs. Already had the 'who are you supporting' questions. Just have another day of this and then I am free for another few months. But yeah, Lambie, Pietersen, PSdT, tough to cheer against them.

I have to hide somewhere.

...can one really hide from Pat Lambie's charm though...? ;)

Leigh Halfpenny was named Sexiest Man in Wales this morning. There's no hiding from him. Phwooaaarrrrr.

Ben Foden is the sexiest fullback in Europe.

Rob-Kearney_2163703b.jpg

Btw I'm picking Wales to win this just to keep this somewhat relevant. Just a gut feeling in my head I'm thinking South Africa should win by a decent amount but I'm just feeling something as I said.

Last edited:
Ben Foden is the sexiest fullback in Europe.

nuh uh gurl, I'm sorry but it's clearly Brice Dulin. If you'd put him in stead of Ryan Phillipe in Cruel Intentions you wouldn't tell the difference. *bytch slap*

Not a fullback. Though he has done fairly well for himself.

leo-cullen-wife-dairine-kennedy_5697268.jpg

I think just about at least every semi-intelligent mind has understood at this point that life and the world are comically unfair. No need to rub it in.