• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Challenge Cup

Ok this is gonna sound really stupid but what is the challenge cup? all these cups and premierships confuse me.

and just cause this is my first post on the new edition of the forum, here are a bunch of random smileys
<
<
<
<

It is the lower-tier European comp, where teams who haven't made the Heinenken Cup will mostly go. It is like football's UEFA Cup.

Seedings and remaining fixtures;

1) Gloucester Rugby (29 points; 47 tries)

2) Newcastle Falcons (28 points; 44 tries)

3) London Irish (27 points; 32 tries)

4) Northampton Saints (25 points; 28 tries)

5) Worcester Warriors (24 points, 23 tries)

6) Bayonne (20 points, 31 tries)

7) Connacht (20 points, 25 tries)

8) Brive (18 points; 30 tries)

The quarter-finals, to be played 31 March / 1 / 2 April, will be:

Gloucester Rugby v Brive

Newcastle Falcons v Connacht

London Irish v Bayonne

Northampton Saints v Worcester Warriors

Semis will be:

Gloucester Rugby / Brive V Northampton Saints / Worcester Warriors

Newcastle Falcons / Connacht V London Irish / Bayonne

The venue for the final should be decided this week

I hope its not a little crappy football stadium somewhere thats flooding with chavs and shi**y little pubs.

That place where Tiggers played Toulouse last year in the knockout stages of the HEC wouldn't be too bad.

Might be an idea to take the final outside England, how many of the last few finals have been played in Reading or the Kassam Stadium, surely it's time the French had the finals.

Well Brive are no mugs and could upset the form book there, no guarantees that Newcastle will be able to overcome Connacht over 2 legs, despite their shortcomings against Catania on Friday and London Irish aren't exactly the most formidable team in the Premiership so a Bayonne victory shouldn't be considered too much of a shock. That leaves just one guaranteed English finalist.

Presumably then if it's result depedent then they'll wait till they've finalised the semi-final lineup.

I can see it being an all English final to be honest.

Most of the English teams are all on good form, and should make it interesting. Only one team can qualify for next seasons HEC though.

<
<

Brive have no chance Kingsholme, Newcastle can beat anyone on their day and Irish...

Well, yeah, they'll proberbly slip up.

I was suprised that Northampton slipped from the HEC enough, but for Glos to join them...whoot!

Glos will probably qualify through the GP anyway, so they wont mind us taking them out at some point if not already....
<

Latest posts