Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Tadginator

Academy Player
Country Flag
Former Soviet Union
Club or Nation
Leeds Rhinos
This a thread just to nominate who you think is the fastest man in super rugby.
My opinion has to be lwazi mvovo. His try against the brumbies was incredible.

From Australia, Lachie Turner and Rod Davies are pretty quick. Turner ran 11.1 in a gaterade promotional sprint race against other rugby players.

I would have thought SA have some quick sprinters in their squads, NZ wingers (like Australians) are generally too bulked up to run under 11 seconds. - I'm not an expert just generalizing really.

From Australia, Lachie Turner and Rod Davies are pretty quick. Turner ran 11.1 in a gaterade promotional sprint race against other rugby players.

I would have thought SA have some quick sprinters in their squads, NZ wingers (like Australians) are generally too bulked up to run under 11 seconds. - I'm not an expert just generalizing really.

Jonah Lomu was pretty bulked up....I'd say Zac Guilford or Sean Maitland is the fastest N.Z. player.

Nz: guildford and maitland
Aus: rod Davies
Sa: lwazi mvovo and born basson

Anyone else. Don't really know how fast some wingers are as they rarely get into space eg hosea gear

I'm not convinced Guildford is that quick to be honest. From New Zealand I'd make a guess that Sean Maitland is the fastest with Sherwin Stowers and Jackson Ormond in second and third. Gear when he hits pace is very quick. Rokocoko used to be very very fast as well, even when he left New Zealand I think his speed was amazing when he hit full pace (which became less and less frequent, especially when played on the right wing).

rokocoko is extremely slow now for a winger. same for sivivatu.
by the way lwazi mvovo ran a 10.56 when he was younger, that is very fast so does anyone have proof of anyone being faster.

a) Massively depends on the distance

b) I'm certain you've left out a whole lot of players... [insert any winger for a top-flight team here]

That said Rod Davies is lightning

Guildford is quick but in an interview once even he admitted he was not as fast as maitland.

lots of definitions of speed, people always use 100m times as benchmarks but in rugby it's more important to be fast over 10-30m and not from a stationary start but a moving start and in most cases it's not about running a straight line.

I think if they all ran their best 100m and posted times there would be a lot of suprises in the results

one player who always surprised me was Kahui, the whole him being a centre makeshift winger and even he in interviews would say he's not as fast as most wingers around. But then on the rugby field I've seen him clearly out sprint Habanna in a foot race and run 55m in an almost straight line through the entire welsh defense in one of the more impressive individual tries I've seen over the last 5 years or so.

IMO the ultimate was Rokocoko in his prime, when he was younger he was pretty much the fastest and most deadly player and physically the ideal sprinter. But it seems the island guys Fijians in particular when they get a bit older they build muscle really easily and to maintain speed and keep their weight down they have to limit their training. Just a couple of years ago when he was still in the AB's he was still the fastest in the team even though he was a shadow of himself when he first burst onto the scene.

Well notoriously the fastest sprinter was Tonderai Chavangha

But over 100m certain forwards post incredible times (Croft and Ferris spring to mind)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shingler can move. Took Ashton on the outside and beat Max Evans in a length of the field run.
Mvovo is faster than I thought. That boy can run! Sithole is supposed to be pretty close as well.

and run 55m in an almost straight line through the entire welsh defense in one of the more impressive individual tries I've seen over the last 5 years or so.
We don't mention that...

Guildford is quick but in an interview once even he admitted he was not as fast as maitland.

lots of definitions of speed, people always use 100m times as benchmarks but in rugby it's more important to be fast over 10-30m and not from a stationary start but a moving start and in most cases it's not about running a straight line.

I think if they all ran their best 100m and posted times there would be a lot of suprises in the results

one player who always surprised me was Kahui, the whole him being a centre makeshift winger and even he in interviews would say he's not as fast as most wingers around. But then on the rugby field I've seen him clearly out sprint Habanna in a foot race and run 55m in an almost straight line through the entire welsh defense in one of the more impressive individual tries I've seen over the last 5 years or so.

IMO the ultimate was Rokocoko in his prime, when he was younger he was pretty much the fastest and most deadly player and physically the ideal sprinter. But it seems the island guys Fijians in particular when they get a bit older they build muscle really easily and to maintain speed and keep their weight down they have to limit their training. Just a couple of years ago when he was still in the AB's he was still the fastest in the team even though he was a shadow of himself when he first burst onto the scene.

Easy there Larksea..

Yeah, Kahui's pace is certainly deceptive. Seems to have excellent 'game-speed' as they say in the NFL.

I think just by the track times then Davies is the winner. But in terms of the actual game, someone like Will Genia is pretty fast.

Easy there Larksea..

was a test 2-3 years ago I think in South Africa where they both chased a ball that had been kicked towards the AB's line, habanna had a clear headstart but got to the ball after Kahui. It was about as clear a head to head foot race as you can get in a game of rugby.

The other run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_gK4K-lUbw

4:15 onwards

from the half way line to under the posts in less than 7sec, only looked like he was running at 100% for only part of the run. yes his legs were fresh but they didn't even get a hand on him.

There has been a lot of talk about him being too slow to be a winger, Alls I'm saying is that is clearly not the case :)

In terms of track speed, Habana probably wins 8 or 9 out of 10 times. But game speed, Kahui is definitely something else.

There are loads of players like that in sports like rugby, league, gridiron; where straight line speeds are very deceivenig and always often over-emphasised.

Just look at the NFL combine every year - and in every draft; you see a Darius Heyward-Bey; a Jamarcus Russell, Denard robinson; etc who run a fast 40yard time but are busts simply because they are not good players as they are athletes.

Someone like Kahui is definitely in the mould of a good rugby player which plays faster than their measured athletic abilities.

Last edited:
Well notoriously the fastest sprinter was Tonderai Chavangha

But over 100m certain forwards post incredible times (Croft and Ferris spring to mind)

chavanga would have smoked anyone anytime and i dont care what anyone says. in the last part of that video during the intercept from the stormers #8 chavanga ran so fast that he blurred!!!

today i wouldn't pick one of those in the poll - i think gio aplon will leave them all thinking WTF!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts