• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favorite Referee

dasNdanger

First XV
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
New Zealand
I tried searching for this topic, but didn't find one. I'm curious which referees - past or present - are your favorites. Notice I didn't say 'best' because that's always a debatable subject, however, if you would like to say which one you think are 'the best', go right ahead!

Personally, I can't state for a fact which ref is the best, but my favorite was Chris White. I do have a current fav, but I won't say who because everyone will laugh at me. ;)

Feel free to expound on why you like them, too.

das

I really like what I've seen of Glen Jackson. Probably because he's never reffed Leinster or Ireland. I tend to get very ****** of at a lot of refs. So with most it'd be generally which do I hate the least.

Nigel Owens is my favourite to as a neutral, as his gift of the gab often up the entertainment factor of dull games, but when I'm watching a team I'm supporting, I'll pray for Wayne Barnes, as he has a lot of sympathy for the game and allows things to flow, without ever coming off as soft.

Bryce Lawrence......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... I am taking the **** don't worry

I really liked Mark Lawrence. was a travesty he wasn't selected for the 2011 RWC.

I do have a current fav, but I won't say who because everyone will laugh at me. ;)

...Walsh?

Nigel Owens seems to have the most empathy for the game, and the least combative of all the international refs. He's probably my favorite.
Barnes and Kaplan are good too.

The one guy who I dislike with a passion is Ashley Rowden, he is ****ing terrible.
He consistently makes the most insane calls.

...Walsh?

Nigel Owens seems to have the most empathy for the game, and the least combative of all the international refs. He's probably my favorite.
Barnes and Kaplan are good too.

The one guy who I dislike with a passion is Ashley Rowden, he is ****ing terrible.
He consistently makes the most insane calls.
streaker_zps32e9933f.jpg

I like Kaplan, too. Not sure I've seen enough of Barnes or Glen Jackson to know if I like them, or not (though I should know Jackson better than I do - I think I just fail to really notice him when he's in the game - maybe he lacks presence, or something). I liked Mark Lawrence, too, and agree with Little Guy about him not being selected for the 2011 WC. Owens is good, though I guess I haven't noticed the sort of neutrality/balance others have mentioned. I'll have to pay better attention to him as well.

One reason I asked this question was to get a better handle on the referees. Once in a while a ref will stand out to me (like Chris White did), but most of the time they just blur together into one giant interchangable official. I'm trying to change that - tyring to see the individual and not just some guy with the whistle.

das

I like Kaplan, too. Not sure I've seen enough of Barnes or Glen Jackson to know if I like them, or not (though I should know Jackson better than I do - I think I just fail to really notice him when he's in the game - maybe he lacks presence, or something). I liked Mark Lawrence, too, and agree with Little Guy about him not being selected for the 2011 WC. Owens is good, though I guess I haven't noticed the sort of neutrality/balance others have mentioned. I'll have to pay better attention to him as well.

One reason I asked this question was to get a better handle on the referees. Once in a while a ref will stand out to me (like Chris White did), but most of the time they just blur together into one giant interchangable official. I'm trying to change that - tyring to see the individual and not just some guy with the whistle.

das
When you finished watching a game and can't remember who reff'd it then you know it was a good referee

When you finished watching a game and can't remember who reff'd it then you know it was a good referee

I guess that makes sense. I think sometimes I notice a referee more or less depending on the fuss the commentators make over him, be it good or bad. Some commentators seem overly obsessed with what the official is doing. It may be my imagination, but it seems to be a more common thing in the SH than in the NH.

das

I really liked Mark Lawrence. was a travesty he wasn't selected for the 2011 RWC.

I do remember him messing up in an Ireland vs Argentina game giving a baffling scrum penalty to Ireland when Roncero was butchering Tony Buckley in the scrum. Yet no referee goes through a career without making a howler I suppose.

I thought Alan Lewis was okay.

My least favourite is George Clancy.

I guess that makes sense. I think sometimes I notice a referee more or less depending on the fuss the commentators make over him, be it good or bad. Some commentators seem overly obsessed with what the official is doing. It may be my imagination, but it seems to be a more common thing in the SH than in the NH.

das
That will be whenever your team won the game......

Tony Spreadbury was one I always liked back in the day,
of the guys now I think they get most of it right most of the time so it is generally about style.
I think AR is abit too whistle happy; WB does not whistle enough; GC great if your team is at home; don't back chat RP; NO very good but why does he get in way at breakdowns?
Don't see alot of the SH guy's but I thought ML very good CJ good but gone of the boil abit of late, GJ looks like very much on the up, new set of SA guys coming along as older one's retire so not enough to comment on: SW either very good or very bad, always liked VM but seem's to be off radar at present.

My favourite is Craig Joubert. Really rate him. Glenn Jackson is good too.

Jonathan Kaplan, Stuart Dickinson, Bryce Lawrence, George Clancy, Allain Rolland are rubbish. The first three because they are inconsistant in their treatment of teams and the second two because they kill the game entirely as a spectacle.

Wayne Barnes and Nigel Owens are my middle men referees. They each have faults - in the case of Owens its that he always without fail gets in the way of play. Barnes because he made me walk out of the house and hit the ground non-stop in 2007. I like the way Vinny Munro handles games but sometimes his calls make me think hes blind. I'm starting to rate Jaco Peyper.

Favourite all time referee: Keith Lawrence.

I like Owens and Walsh. Owens is entertaining and usually Refs well. Walsh has been quite good in super rugby this year and seems to have a lot of confidence in himself and takes advantage of the new tech well.

Latest posts