• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favourite 5 & Least Favourite 5 Features of our Games

i think one of the most important things is that the game is simple to playand able to be played by anyone. along with a harder setting for the more experienced players

the last rugby games were too easy with even on the hardest difficulty being able to win games 50/60-0 so make it with a harder difficulty

5 most favourite things about Rugby 2008:
- width of teams and tournaments
- the general "feel" of the game was quite similar to watching a real rugby game
- set moves for the backs
- goal kicking worked well
- it was released on PC aswell as consoles

my least favoutire things about Rugby 2008
- the game engine was very crude compared to Madden 2008
- when playing co-op, you cannot pass to you co-player, the passes just go waywards (which is ridiculous, really)
- no online play
- no control at all over rucks or the breakdown, the way you play has no bearing on whether you get turned over
- following on from the 1 and 2 above, the back play was poor due to the deficencies in the game engine (I want to play a rugby game where the timing of the pass can create a line break, like in real life

I really hope that HB use a new game engine or at least massively revise the existing one. That for me is crucial, if they do that then I don't care what teams I can play as or in what tournaments, frankly.
Thanks

Just one problem for me which was that there should be a career mode like in fifa. Being able to play in the Magners League aswell.
If it is possible as a manager, you could progress from a club to a national manager. I think that that would be amazing. And finally I think we should have 'Be a Pro' like in Fifa.

Just one problem for me which was that there should be a career mode like in fifa. Being able to play in the Magners League aswell.
If it is possible as a manager, you could progress from a club to a national manager. I think that that would be amazing. And finally I think we should have 'Be a Pro' like in Fifa.
they have already said there will be no 'Be a pro'

5 Favourite Features:

* Create a player option
* The different backs moves
* Good goal kicking engine
* Good variety of stadia and teams, with authentic kits
* Game flowed well

5 Least Favourite Things:

* Gameplay needs to more accurate and representative of a real rugby game
* The default goal kick run up
* The way that when someone was scoring a try the every single player on the pitch was sprinting behind them like a pack of dogs
* The ability to break through the defence by running good strong lines
* Bigger players to be able to crash through smaller players without being tackled.

Five Favourite

* Quick gameplay options (quick tap/lineout option)
* World league (only thing to change here is to include 4 or 5 players from original squad, in old versions you had a completely unknown squad. You choose this team sometimes because you support the team, so you want to play as some of the players that should really be there)
* Great stadiums (but please include more than just 1 or 2 from each country - Australia has more than just the SFS as a stadium...)
* Box kick control (the use of triangle from the back of the ruck/maul to box kick was slowly refined a little each year and in the last version seemed to be a great asset when used correctly)

5 Least Favourite

* Side step is useless! Worst aspect of any game ever released. The sidestep shouldn't be so easy to use that it gets past the defense everytime, but it should be alot faster than the old one and have more variations to the end result of using it. In a one on one scenario, a sidestep should work around 50% of the time and the rest of the time almost certainly be dominant in moving forward after the tackle. You should not find yourself flat on your back and losing the breakdown unless you have stepped into the player and the defender is a strong tackler/ball winner.... Maybe have a look at the Madden side step (also known as a juke move), they appear to get it right on that game and rugby has more of a use for it....
* Scrums.... These appear to have gone up and down over the years. There needs to be a much more simple way to control the scrums and a clearer understanding of what directional buttons do. The old scrums seemed to struggle to push in the direction you wanted if you played on any other camera angle than the default setting.
* Rucks - There appears to be a slightly repetitive feature when it comes to rucks. If you want a quick ball, send in 3 players. Usually the opposition will match your numbers and you win the breakdown. If they send in more, you send in all you can and retain the ball and play on.... There needs to be more life like stats atleast if this is going to be the case. Nations like South Africa, France, New Zealand and the pacific island nations should be more aggressive at counter rucking and committing players to winning opposition ball. Nations like Australia and England should be more relaxed and looking to dominate with their focus on stealing the ball not pushing the opposition off the ball.
* Lineouts now appear to have too few options. A few years back you could jump at 2 positions. You could jump at the front, then through to the man jumping at the back. This was taken away in the last game and was sorely missed.
* Graphics - while all other EA games seemed to be taking huge steps forward each year in graphics, rugby seemed to be stagnant, giving us the same look game year in/year out.... Lets get some of the engines used from fifa or madden where gameplay is incredibly smooth and the graphics are vivid and life like

By the way guys, thanks so much for asking us what it is that we needed from this next game to satisfy our needs after such a dry period without rugby games on the ps3. Understand we can't have it all, but I'd be pretty happy to see 1 from each list chosen....
Merry Christmas guys

Favourite:
*Create a Player
*World League, but i think it needs to be done properly/differently
*Challenge Mode
*Lions Tour (make it available to SA, NZ and AUS..and possibly france)
*Goal Kicking

Least Favourite
*Rucks/Mauls
*Simplicity of Lineouts
*Scrums
*Lack of old teams in challenge mode (Richie McCaw did not play in RWC 1991 :p)
*Drop Goal distances
*Not being able to chip kick and also quick grubbers (always knocking on when i try)

Favourite
1) Licences! Amazing :)
2) World League
3) Simulation Offloads actually work :)
4) Open-play kicking (minus dan carter/jonny wilkinson)
5) Solid Frame-rate

Least favourite
1) HOW DO MY PLAYERS ALWAYS GET TURNED OVER AS SOON AS THEY BREAK THE GAMELINE!
2) Rules weren't correct even when 08 was out!!!
3) The amount of time needed to set a grubber kick
4) Fatigue!!! Why does every player never get fatigued and every player gets knackered as much as each other?!?
4.5) Absolutely useless sidestep (and for that matter - i still can't get a dummy pass to work!)
5) The try system (1- why does everyone chase the scorer? 2- why does the animation change if they're going to run it in to a dive if they get tackled? always annoyed me...)

Merry Christmas to y'all!

DUDE THE GRAfICS look good but
hated

da game isnt any competion evn on elite
in other ***les ther is a more tournamen
crap animation
no online play
liked

world league
grafics (evn now wit next gen)
stadiums look good compared to ther real thing
challenge mode bt can be re worked to be more rewarding & playing with clasic rosters
B&I lions tour on 06

DUDE THE GRAfICS look good but
hated

da game isnt any competion evn on elite
in other ***les ther is a more tournamen
crap animation
no online play
liked

world league
grafics (evn now wit next gen)
stadiums look good compared to ther real thing
challenge mode bt can be re worked to be more rewarding & playing with clasic rosters
B&I lions tour on 06

I'm sorry, did someone just drop a brick on your face or something?

any idea when the release date is for 2012 ive been... uhm lests jst say ive been off the grid

FAVOURITES
1.Lions tour
2.World league although would be much better if more like manager mode in fifa.
3.Kicking angles.
4.Challenge mode
5.Fluidity and pace were pretty good.

LEAST FAVOURITES
1.Infuriating ruck and turn over system
2.Player ratings and stats were pretty ridiculous.
3.Lack of licence players being given fake names eg Michilak being Mallack
4.Even on elite not difficult enough.
5.Scrums.Even a world class front row against a poor front row would only result in a few yard gain before you had to get the ball out or it became unplayable.

Last edited:
5 favourite things:
- World Series (but it needs to be with the real teams)
- 2008 Graphics
- Set plays
- Challenge mode
- Lions tour

5 least favourite things:
- not much variety
- attributes seemed to be slap-dashed together, would be nice if they were editable or at least updateable and if a player was out of position he was total crap (should be able to grow into position?)
- tackling and passing were unrealistic.
- no management system
- shitty commentating

good thing's bad things

1= new camera angles in rugby 08 3= licensed international tournaments eg. the 6 nations 1= no licensed top 14 teams 4= no heineken cup licence

2= lion's team in rugby 05/06 4=good graphics in 08 only ! 2= no online play 5= more stadiums like rugby 04!

3= licensed INTERNATIONAL teams 5=star rating system 3= no licensed magners league

Latest posts