• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favourite 5 & Least Favourite 5 Features of our Games

Favourite:
Accurate stats
A good variety of teams

Least:
Why is there no NPC or Currie cup, both countries are prominent so should have their grass roots teams.
Animation
Ease of being able to run staright through the line
Can't make your own set plays
Scrolling takes ages

Favourite

* Variaty of players.
* B&I lions mode.
* Kicking.
* Variaty of teams.
* World Cup mode.

Least Favourite

* Animations were too the same.
* If a player gets injured and you have noone to replace him, you put a guy out of positon he Drops nearly evey ball, which is very fake.
* Way too easy.
* No online.
* No chip kick animation. ( Would love to see it, maby if you like double tap Y or Triangle? x

- Slow menus in team management were terrible. I think it was the face photos slowing it down. Please find a way to have crisp, fast menus. It would be SO much more enjoyable if you could hold down a button and fly through a million players to find the one you want instead of taking ten minutes to push the down button 1000 times to go past 50 players. A sort button for stats to look for a good kicker/passer also makes things easier.
- No one likes holding the down button to scroll past a b c d e etc. Please make it keyboard style when writing things.
- When making a created player, you could never get the name to match the proper player names. You could either have J.Smith in the menu and J.SMITH on the field or Smith in the menu and SMITH on the field. The real players would have G.Gregan in the menu and GREGAN on the field. Created players would always look out of place, whether it be in the menu or in a game.
- Playing a player out of position is way too exaggerated. A prop at 5/8 is still going to catch the ball. He can't kick and can't do much WITH the ball, but he'll still catch it. It's not that far a stretch of the imagination for another back to fill in for the remainder of a match. If you've lost two 5/8s and have to put a still very skilled but out of position back there, you can no longer use any backs because he won't catch it.
+ Trophy cabinet - Something to work at.
+ Grudge matches/rivalries.
+ Being able to start from the bottom and build a team up.
+ Being able to make a team from scratch (Jerseys, logos etc). Really missed this in '08.

Favourite:
- Large array of teams and players
- smooth flowing play and easy too use controls
- Tournaments
- Split Screen Play
- Good looking grahpics and motions unlike Rugby league games
Least Favourite:
-Incorrect laws(eg giving penalty for lineout not straight)
-Dumb AI (Back 3 never in good position)
-Player creation can make super teams (there is no limit can put all stats too 100)
-No manager mode
-Players drop ball instantly out of position in 08

I have played a shocking amount of rugby '06 for the Xbox, mainly against the computer on all modes. I have played real club and school rugby in Canada (I know not the best rugby nation) for 6 years as a prop/backrow, touring England and Scotland's provincial sides. I also follow the international television game very closely along with the super 14. I have thirsted for rugby 2012 every since I have heard about it. That's enough about me; let me tell you how to make the dream rugby game.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
5 Things I loved about EA's rugby 06/08<o:p></o:p>
* World league: this is a must for any next generation game. This mode has ENDLESS replayability because it is very rewarding to be able to upgrade your team from a poor starting side to an elite (impossible) dream team through scoring tries and making good trades. However, more variety in starting players and clubs who can be downgraded to play would be better, along with longer seasons more tiers, and a possible online mode?<o:p></o:p>
*inclusion of extremely variable player creation mode: one of the things I most enjoyed was the ability to set my player stats to whatever I wanted. I made some dream teams (100 stat in every stat) some crap teams (0 in everything) some imitation teams (my H.S. team) and everything in between. If you want to include a "realistic" player development system like the madden franchise has done, (i.e. "strength" stat determined by bench-press mini game, i.e. rapidly tapping "a") at least allow us to override this system so we can play with the stats and create super/crap team ect. the player creation system definitely needs more fleshing out in general though, like madden did with superstar mode, and more variety in player modeling.<o:p></o:p>
*inclusion of a variety of tournaments/game modes: aside from the genius world league mentioned above, EA's rugby games definitely had a lot of content where licensed tournaments are involved. Although they pale in comparison to the WL, it is a lot of fun to run different club scenarios, especially if an online component were included. <o:p></o:p>
* variety of useful attacking methods in game: we'll get to the problems with EA's engine later, but what made rugby 06/08 fun was the sheer amount of ways you could attack the opposition. Grubber, Garry Owen, box kick, hands, set piece, pick & go, forward charge and many more. Although they shockingly left out the switch pass, I was still discovering new ways to attack the opposition years after playing the game. Part of this relies on EA's famous animation system, which unrealistically sucks players into different canned animations in hopefully appropriate situations. Sometimes is makes the game look god-awful (as most EA animation systems do when you get right down to it, see: madden) but it makes for some breathtaking tries. How you replace this system will the make or break rugby 2012 and everyone knows it. this brings me to the offload system. while it looked terribly unrealistic in rugby 06 (players zooming or teleporting to catch the offload) it made the game playable, and added another dimension of attack. It would help to add more variety of offloads, but the EA system was actually enjoyable to attack with in the offload play.<o:p></o:p>
*kicking: although the stupefying back 3 AI made kicking a joke EA really designed a kicking system which was an accurate fun and useful. It could use some work, i.e. more balanced kicking (Dan carter and jonny Wilkinson overpowered, to name a few), faster delivery of kicks, more possibility for a charge down. However, other than that it was a fun and fluid system to use.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
5 Things to change:<o:p></o:p>
*No online play/support: this has to be number one on everyone's list. Honestly, despite the EA's rugby's many small errors, we played the game, loved it and mastered it. Every true rugby player did. and if you live in New Zealand and everyone and their brother plays the game good on you, but I live in North America, and if you bring a rugby game to a friend's house you have to spend half an hour teaching the rules before you whoop their ass (or use 10% of your skill). seriously, if Rugby 2012 were just a rugby 06 clone with updated rosters, graphics and online mode I would still by thanking god on my knees with tears streaming down my face. Seriously. And you may flame me for saying that, but I'm sure many people on this forum secretly share my opinion.<o:p></o:p>
*Inconsistent AI: now many people before me have simply put "bad AI" and this is not true, because in some ways the AI is too good. let's start with the bad: back 3 are terrible (it's easy to boot 60 meters over the head of the fullback, wings leave huge holes in defense), spacing of the backs is also bad (centers often leave huge gaps, no rush defense, drift defense simply runs sideways, forwards not joined to backline), certain moves trick computer every time (pick and go, Garry Owen, scrum half wipers, fly half wipers, blind side overlap) while certain moves fail every time / or are impossible against a human opponent (p and G, MOST set piece moves, forward charge), computer is unable to mount a decent attack (I beat the WC with Uruguay, rating 42. nuff said). CPU's best attacking abilities include punting you the ball from any position on the field, Garry Owen, or obvious set piece plays, while AI is too good is ruining your ability to use set pieces, explained next.<o:p></o:p>
* huge revamping of set piece game required: the modern international game is full of scintillating open field play, with forwards in the back line, loops, misses and two lines of attack. EA's response was to build a horribly stiff, animation heavy and predictable set piece system, which is impossible to use because it is so easily countered by CPU and human players alike. the new set piece system should be dynamic, unpredictable NOT animation centered, different every time, set up faster and with more players filling in different positions (like the international game, i.e. hookers scoring tries from the wing a la the all blacks), and most importantly FUN AND USEFUL, everything the EA system wasn't. The animation system made it so I could use my fly half and run down the line, and perfectly pick out the opposing wing with a dive tackle, with no chance of a counter. c'mon, that doesn't even happen in elementary school rugby, why here?<o:p></o:p>
*revamping of forward play: as a forward, I know how fun and engaging forward play can be through rucks, mauls lineouts and scrums. However, unfortunately it is really the pea soup of rugby, and as video game player/enthusiast, I know that this part of the game can be extremely difficult to map on to a controller. EA made a decent run at it but it feels unsatisfying and clunky. The scrums were all right, but the play in the rucks and maul must be more dynamic, controllable by the player, with more options for attack. Same with the lineout's: any rugby player knows the EA obviously rushed this piece of the game i never fixed it up in any sequels. I mean short med, long. c'mon! There are an amazing number of different lineout calls in rugby and just as many types of defense. if you could put just a little more variety in these places, along with more forward participation in the set pieces/loose it would make me proud to play as a forward in your game.<o:p></o:p>
*modern replay system with saves, and online sharing: 'nuff said.<o:p></o:p>
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________<o:p></o:p>
Well that was quite the speech, I really have put a lot of time into thinking about how this game could be made better. I love the game probably more than any other does and I know many people like myself who are truly fanatic about it. I would say that you are handling something which is in many people eyes more precious than gold and I hope you know that, as do you publishers and investors. The rugby game market has been barren for so long, it is nice to see someone step up to the plate and deliver what every rugby fan who plays games desires and loves. We rugby gaming fans have had our disappointments, especially EA deciding to discontinue their franchise. Although the publisher has tons of money, they do really jerk their fans around a lot and their seeing the results now. Their effort on rugby 06/08 is about a B minus the way I see it. The inclusion of online play probably would have pushed it to an A- in my books, so if that is all you people do, you have my buy and my entire friend's buys too. However, I hope in my heart that you will aspire to more. I hope your company will make a rugby game that will stun us and have us begging to buy your sequel. Mine and everyone on this forum's hope rests with you. Good luck, love and may god or any other entity bestow that special ability upon you to listen, create and design the perfect rugby 2012!<o:p></o:p>

Main concearn is graphics, every year FIFA always had better graphics than Rugby, even though they were both the same year? Never understood this...

Money! Fifa sold and still sells by the bucket load every year, Rugby did not so they never invested enough money to do more than update it slightly.

5 Favourite:
-Ability to beat defenders with step, bounce and handoff.. need a bit more realism though.
-liked the fast hands aspect
-liked the pace of players
-Stadiums

5 least favourite:
- set moves arnt fluid enough, there is no variation in running lines.
- tackling is very tackle or miss, more contact situation needed.
- not enough teams
- player stats are terrible!! players like spies dont have correct height stats etc.
- limitations in the free running, only set lines and angles.
-

Five Favourite things

-Barbarians
-Offload passing
-World league (needs work though)
-drop goal change (in 08 makes it harder)
-defensive setups

Five least favourite

-Up and under, there should be a chip kick option, up and under is very laboured
(same with the grubber, should be just a little stab through without it being so easy to knock on)
-Attacking plays with Cuts (AI cutting the player with the ball) not just as a set play, but maybe should happen natrually
-Fends/sidesteps too slow
-Might be a stretch, but national competitions like the Air New Zealand cup, Currie cup included
-Teams have one dimensional styles, AI teams should have distinct playing styles e.g All Blacks run from everywhere, England Kick every chance they get, South Africa poison NZ at world cup :)

Here we go... I think the good aspects of the game has been mentioned and when it comes to gameplay, most of the things will be sorted out due to the new game engine so I will stick to those parts of the game outside gameplay that, in my humble opinion, need to be better.

My apologies if I go overboard but here it is:

* A full career mode, like EA's FIFA has for instance. Start as a head coach for the Border Bulldogs in SA, climb your way up the managerial ladder. Full career mode also means being able to buy, sell, loan players and of course not just one flat competition, but when you're a headcoach of the Sharks, play in the Super15 and later that year the Currie Cup. Or in Europe where you can qualify for the Amlin or Heineken Cup. Also make key players actually miss matches due to injury, bans in the national team or even being called up for let's say the Six Nations
* Full national anthems, not just 10 seconds. We can always decide to skip it by pressing a button. Make the players sing along too!
* Have the referee ask the TMO for help once in a while
* The challenge mode was good, but what would make it even better is to use the players of that era. Score a try in 1995 with Lomu, not Rokocoko. Score a dropgoal with Stransky, not Morné Steyn. Stuff like that. Also when you play Classic matches, make sure the rules apply. Rules change a lot in rugby so it's fun to play in the 1987 World Cup classics with the old rules. Maybe make the complete previous World Cups downloadable content
* Include some other real classics like old Lions tours, the 1981 Springbok Tour to NZ
* Create some fun downloadable content like different commentators, different rugby balls
* Include the smaller trophies in the Tri- and Six Nations tournaments like the Bledisloe Cup (Aus-NZ), The Freedom Cup (NZ-SA), Mandela Challenge Plate (Aus-SA), Calcutta Cup (Eng-Sco), Centenary Quaich (Sco-Ire) etc. It's fun to win those even if you miss the big trophy by 1 point or so.
* Let us add music to the game. Give us the chance to fill the juke-box with our personal favourites.
* Create and Edit mode. Let us create and edit not just players but also teams, competitions in case they are not in the game. If one of the previous aspects is not possible, give us the possibility to create it ourselves. I would love to recreate the old World Cups with the teams and all. Let nickdnz win the World Cup in 1991 with the All Blacks or let Woldog have his revenge for the 1987 deception against France ;)
* Coming with this, maybe the possibility to toggle certain rules on and off. That will help with the creation of for instance a Classic World Cup ourselves.

Best 5:

1. Licensing (if Magners, Guinness and Top14 as well as Heineken could be included that would be great with equivalent southern hemisphere leagues. WC, Tri/Quad Nations and 6 Nations should be a given.)
2. Lions Tour (please allow option of touring in SA, Aus or NZ)
3. World League (although see #1 below)
4. Place Kicking
5. Set Plays (could be expanded on)

Worst 5:

1. A Realistic Season would be great - e.g. allow Munster to play through both Magners and Heineken Cup (and unfortunately Amlin) in one year which would mean needing to rest players from time to time for less important Magners (as in real life)
2. Kicking from Hand too slow -> leading to knock ons, etc even from grubbers.
3. Forward Play not as important as it should be (e.g. power players should be able to break through poor tacklers more realistically.
4. Accumulated Fatigue should be a factor with playing a realistic or world league season
5. Rucking Dynamics must be fixed (unsure how but losing every ruck after you break the line is annoying).

5 Favourites Features:

1. wide selections of stadiums. (wellington westpac stadium is not fully correct with the entrance they on the side not directly behind the goal posts.)
2. choosing your set moves. (we should able to create our own in this next one).
3. on 06 you can randomize the world cup and other tournaments, 08 you can only play same teams at all time
4. 06 drop goals
5. 08 Camera view angles.

5 Negatives.

1. backs cannot out run a foward eg.( Bryan Habana cannot out run Richie Mcaw)
2. The speed of players not near their real life running speed.
3. Hakas on the allblacks only but not the nz maori team. plus the Pacific Island teams
4. Music not related to rugby should have "world in union" in it the rugby anthem.
5. No over the head chip. but when kick the player fully stop unless theirs a near by player chasing. Should be able to kick further and chase with the same speed. AND there is no create your own Tournament like the league games.

Thank you

Plus should make it you always need to get into a tight game or it will be a turn over ball. Say if you have a player running away from the forwards and gets tackle and out numbered should be a turn over. Unless you can create your defensive set moves and have something like pods of forwards, half on the other side and half on the other if you want a wide game plan, or you can always choose two forwards to be the stand outs in case of a wide ball in attack. And if your flankers are real good like mcaw and burger, and the attackers happens to run towards them, will be resulted as a turnover or most likely to be a turnover... What do you reckon

remember that The Manu Samoa teams uniform is blue and white. not blue and blue.

Online: can able to create our own online tournaments with friends. and we should be able to know each others scores while still playing on the other game of the tournament leading up to the finals like fifa. when it is half time the commentators will talk about how their game is going and whos dominating who.. And if it happened one of us have a bye, we should be able to pick a match that we can spectate or watch.

heres an example of my previous post in case am not clear.
The first image of a normal game played.
001.jpg (click on the Image to enlarge)
the second image while during the time your playing your friend. your other friends match randomly pops up or update whenever a try or point been scored. so the pop down bar drops down with the friends name and the team they playing as and the scores.
002.jpg (click on the image to enlarge)

Last edited:
heres an example of my previous post in case am not clear.
The first image of a normal game played.
View attachment 594 (click on the Image to enlarge)
the second image while during the time your playing your friend. your other friends match randomly pops up or update whenever a try or point been scored. so the pop down bar drops down with the friends name and the team they playing as and the scores.
View attachment 595 (click on the image to enlarge)
I dont think this is a bad thing! It would be interesting to find out how your mates are doing

YES IRB 7s PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Makesure the ratings or the ranking change as well. for example: 15s a side SAMOA 73 or 3 and a half stars out of 5. but 7s SAMOA 89 or up in the 5 stars.

I have to say thanks for taking the time to listen to the fans! :p
(All from '08)
Favourite:
Large amount of licensed kits and boots etc.
lots of great looking stadiums
Set plays
Good player models, quite a lot of generic faces though, but this is understandable due to the huge amount of players in the game
In game sound effects

Least Favourite:
Generic set pieces, all line outs and scrums etc. were extremely predictable and boring
Rucking is very poor in so many ways, not enough forwards get in, when you make a break you almost always lose the breakdown, no one steps in for the scrum half if he's not near the ruck etc.
Finishing isn't great, you can be tackled mid dive, pushed into touch and still score, not score but not be in touch, these must surely be easy to fix, and I feel that having a TMO involved would really make this part of the game exciting;they have them in madden why not rugby 2012?
Knock-ons aren't always noticed
Game play isn't very in depth, it's very arcade like and lacks a lot of key areas of rugby, mostly anything to do with the forwards.

Favourites:

1)Great depth of detail and range of stadiums in 08
2) Relatively well licensed competitions
3)Lions Tour
4)Addictive game play
5)Good in-game sounds

Least favourite:

1) Computer is to easy to play against
2) No chip kicks to beat opponents with
3) Lack of manager mode game style
4) Limited edit mode, we want more depth in creating players, teams maybe even stadiums
5) Players in game have the same ratings, faces, and look too unrealistic, also when searching for players it takes AGES, may i suggest a search filter as they do in fifa?

Latest posts