• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favourite 5 & Least Favourite 5 Features of our Games

I think I have a good idea to cover this. It's actually based off something Fifa does. In that when you push the standard "x" (on PS3) tackle the defensive player will be drawn towards the attacking player and steal the ball if he's close enough.

In Rugby, the same thing could happen, but only on amateur controls. I know HB will want to broaden the rugby market and appeal to newer players who can't handle all the in-depth intricacies that experienced players can. So, in an off-line multi-player game, your friend would be able to select amateur controls and you could stay on standard.

With online multi-player, those on amateur controls would have to play against other amateur control users. That sound workable?

The idea is that the experienced players out there can finally play their "not so good friends" and have a bit more challenge.

Basically it'd make defending easier for the not so great defender. As for sharp direction changes. The should be left the way the are for 0-60 degree turns, but sharp 60-90 degree turns should be slowed a little. I'm not sure if a programming trick exists to do that.

That is an awesome idea. Pretty much the perfect solution actually.

Favorite 5
- World League
- Camera Angles
- Some good tournaments

5 that need improvement
- AI is horrible
- Needs better graphics
- Some motions look unnatural (i.e. sidestep)
- Need more licencing and better player faces
- Rules are out of date
+ In Rugby 2012 some new teams will need to be added (New Super 14 team, Melbourne Rebels)

I am so excited about this!

Favorite 5
- Licencing, proper players and teams and comps
- World League, although being a Brumbies fan i would like to be able to start playing as the brumbies
- 10 Nations in Rugby 06, was taken out of 08, that was my fav comp
- Mulitplayer, literally hours and hours of fun either playing 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 for rugby 06 on xbox, have kept my xbox just for that!
- Replays

Least Favorite
- AI is too easy, has nothing in attack and bunches in defence
- to many generic faces, some players looks good, not enough though
- create and edit a player, all created players look the same, no matter what, you should also be able to edit players stats and such
- update rosters, not sure if this can happen, but in the years new games aren't made an update of rosters should be made availble online or something
- NO SEVENS, this is the thing i didn't like the most about all rugby games, you have to have sevens, would be so much fun! I really hope Rugby 2012 has the IRB Sevens on it!

Cheers for the opportunity to submit a few idea's

Top 5 Favourite:
1. World League - but could do with a bit of an upgrade though.
2. Number of teams and players available.
3. British & Irish Lions, Barbarians, Pacific, NZ Maori
4. Set Plays - Once again though, needs an upgrade
5. Star players

5 Dislikes
1. The way players run around the field in big mobs
2. Menu's aren't that great especially when trying to scroll through hundreds of players
3. World League needs a bit more depth added to it
4. Not being able to customise a players country eligibility
5. Sidestep, trucking or bump off and hand off aren't very effective. Needs to be more like the Madden one

Favourite:

#Despite flaws, the rugby games were very fun and easy to pick up because of its simplicity and quick gameplay.
#Stadia
#The goal kicking.
#Set pieces
#Handoffs, sidesteps, shoulder charges etc.

Dislikes:
#Random, one-dimensional rucking
#Unrealistic set-pieces and mauls.
#Star players were too super-human
#Tackling was unrealistic and one-dimensional
#Too easy. AI was poor.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Last edited:
so what we say might actually help this game become great??

Well, yes. HB Studios have told us that our feedback will help influence the game in some aspects. It doesn't mean everything we say will be incorporated, but it does mean that some of the better ideas or more practical ones will be given plenty of consideration.

favourites
- defenders falling off tackles and allowing breaks
- tackling by running into a player without needing button press
- multiple options from base of ruck
- on the fly play calling
- real competitions and teams (although an editor to rename generic teams / players / competitions, and change team colours would suffice)
- it's rugby!!

least favourite
- tap penalties unusable
- players standing still for entire duration of penalty kick at goal until the ball hits the ground
- inability to pass to user controlled team mate in multiplayer game
- no sense of control or input at breakdowns
- AI players bunching or following around after the ball / ball carrier
- advantage from high-tackle is none existant
- really slow speed of option / management screens, in particular when players profile image was displayed

Favourite 5
  • Wide range of set plays
  • Big tackles (need loads of different animations for these)
  • offload (Although needs improving)
  • Stadiums looked good
  • Foul play options (If you wanted to take the risk to turn the ball over etc)

Least favourite 5
  • Breakdown/Ruck was very poor. This is probably the most important feature of the game to get right and probably the hardest. The ruck can't just be a random choice and can't start with an animation that looks like the player just falls asleep next to the ball (which was illegal by the way!) The whole rucking mechanism needs an overhaul.
  • Multiplayer, when playing with friends on the same side they should be able to control their selected player before you pass the ball to them. For example, If they want to run a line off your player they can go wide, tight etc.
  • Elite difficulty was easy!
  • Side step and Dummy was not realistic and needs several different animations for each.
  • More kick options (Chip over the top etc & and a faster animation as kicking seemed sluggish)

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, some good stuff here.

Favourite 5

- Different Competitiions (could possibly include the NPC, Currie Cup)
- Defence near the goal line (could maybe be implemented all over the park for Elite)
- Hand off/ Side Step / Barge options
- Classic clips to be unlocked
- Stealing scrums by being quicker on the button

Least favourite 5

- too easy to score tries against opposite users when close to goal line from lineout (ie just needed to throw to the back and unless opposition is 100% spot on it was always a try)
- breakdowns very one-sided towards better teams (if the closest player to the breakdown is yours then you should have a better chance at winning the ruck - like the automating idea from a post i read with strategy options as oppose to doing it yourself with the option of adding players and removing still available)

- player positions and stats not accurate (stats are one thing to get wrong cause they can be debated, but to have a prop have centre as an alternate position is ridiculous)
- slow follow through on grubber kicks (even when pressing quickly it takes awhile to follow through)
- foul play too consistently called :)

Good to see you on here HB team..

Good features (in the order they came to my head)
1. The cheat feature e.g holding on, hands in the ruck. Rugby players push the law to their advantage, it was nice to replicate that sort of behaviour. I think it could be slightly more responsive though, so if you've got one guy on his feet at the tackle and you press the hands in button, he will get it, and it will be legal. If a proper ruck has formed and you press it maybe you will get to it, maybe you won't, but if you do chances are it will be a penalty.
2. Wide range of licensed tournaments.
3. The different types of pass from the ruck (short or long).
4. Most laws are good and well implemented* (* see number 1 below for exception)
5. Good range of stadiums.

Not so good features
1. Bugs that are in the game that should have been picked up during testing. e.g. In 08 if you had penalty advantage, then the ball went out it wouldn't come back to the penalty, it would go to the lineout.. Something like that would have been fairly simple to fix, and if statement would've done it.. (If you need assistance with testing I'd be happy to help.. I've followed pretty much every Rugby game since Jonah Lomu (with websites for a lot of them), and since 08 I've become a programmer and a referee..)
2. Kicking can take too long and if you're in the middle of a kick it would always do a knock on. If I tap a kick button I want it done then and there (e.g. to do a little grubber or something like that)
3. AI could become quite predictable.
4. The illegal tackle button could be amusing but I would prefer it was more a big tackle button, which if timed perfectly would result in a nice driving hit, if timed poorly it would result in a missed tackle or illegal.

To be honest it's been a while since I've played the games so it's not very fresh for me right now, but anyway. Good luck HB

5 Favorite
1. Star Players - I like that the "world best" players are singled out . But as others have said, star player doesn't mean can't be tackled
2. Number of teams - Fair few teams in the game, just need to be licenced really. Need Lions + classic teams as well
3. Number of tournaments
4. Being able to draft players into national squads (although can be time consuming if squads are out of date
5. Miss pass set piece (works every time ;) )

5 least fav
1. attacking"moves" limited - not enough variety of "skill" moves in attack. a form of "truck" stick (ala madden) needs to be introduced to prevent attacking becoming boring and repetitive
2 Defensive "moves" limited - same as above but with defensive moves instead. Too many repetitive tackle animations. "High Tackle" - kinda pointless, and has no real use unless u wanna **** ur friend off as their about to score.
3. Lack of set piece attacking and defensive formations - would love to see rush, blitz defense etc
4. create a player very limited, with every player coming out with a very generic and disfigured face lol
5. More accurate stats - emphasis on club stats (national teams tended to be okay in that department)

Favourites:

1. Licensed S14 and Tri Nations
2. Lineout system that was in Rugby 04 (many more options)
3. PC versions of the games
4. Camera angles
5. Cut scene animations, animations when you win the world cup etc

Least favourite:

1. Drop goal system
2. No in-built tools for player/rsoter editing (community had to create their own editors)
3. Simplified lineout system in 08
4. AI was too easy
5. Injury bug

Favourites
1. Camera Angles
2. Ability to run at every angle/degree map on the joystick, u could pin point where u ran - there wasnt 8 angles only
3. Set plays
4. Crowd
5. Atmosphere
Dislikes
1. Auto rucks/mauls - they are random, we want more control in retaining possesion or turning it over
2. Offloads should be more manual as in left or right - not just hit a face button and see where it goes
3. Line-outs - To auto, we should be able to throw it anywhere and catch with anyone
4. Side step - should be more responsive like madden
5. The animation lock up, when ur too close to a defender to pass the ball and ur tackled with animation superman - i should be able to pop pass the ball at anytime until the man in possesion hits the ground (unless he is smother tackled/ball and all etc)

Well as a long time player of rugby and rugby games on console I would say

I enjoy

* The scrums and lineouts are well made, but in saying that the lineouts you need more choices for example numbers and moves. scrums better control and moves off the scrum.
* the way you can use set plays, though you need more choices, for example have different moves off the lineout, mauls, rucks, scrums, open play so you can choose on the go, it shouldnt take so long for them to get set up and not be so slow and predictable. You also need to beable to make your own moves up in a creator
* the varied stats for players, but they need to make more of a difference, and be more subtle than being great and being crap.
*The pace of the game feels right, you can play a fast paced game or slow it down. it can actually feel alot like rugby until the problems which i will ist in my dislikes happen.
*World league, The best game mode for single player. but it needs to be fleshed out, and include the ability to have more than 1 human controlled team. better trading, training etc etc
*multiplayer the game is way more fun with 2 or more players, but it needs to be more fluid and actually beable to pass to the other human player on your own team
*The ability to make choices with penalties, free kicks etc. But it needs to be like jonah lomu rugby where you just press a corresponding button so it doesnt stop the flow of the game. and more choices for different things, like when the kick off is out on the full the 3 choices of a rekick, scrum or lineout.

I dislike and often hate
*the defence, the defence doesnt mark up correctly, leaves unrealistic gaps, ai needs to respond better, tackling needs to be automatically guided towards the player with the ball just due to the camera angle you can't judge the tackle properly, there needs to be different defensive paterns not just formations, different tackling styles whether a big hit, dive tackle, wrap up, drag down etc. and a huge concern "THERE IS ALWAYS A BLOODY FULLBACK, ITS EXTREMELY RARE FOR THERE NOT TO BE ONE", like the fullback will recieve a kick, get tackled be on the bottom of the ruck then it gets turned over and magically hes back there when u kick it immediatly
*the rules are well wrong in many instances, like throw into the lineout not straight, it isnt a penalty
*kicking needs to be more fluid quicker more different types, better bounce physics
*Rucks and mauls, rucks are just a joke, the turnovers make no sense. even the lower teams of world rugby can win the majority of rucks they have it shouldnt be an automatic turnover just cause the team isnt the best. and numbers to the ruck should actually matter. mauls should be more likes scrums with rolling mauls and actually a contest
*The AI is just poor whether the ai you are versusing or the ai on your team, it doesnt need to be fancy but itd be nice if they just played simple rugby.

Last edited:
Good to see you on here HB team..

, but anyway. Good luck HB
Now i know ive been away, but surely this is a sight for sore eyes? JJ lurking the forum?

I could imagn Glen feeling pritty swamped with all the comments. Good luck HB!!!

Now i know ive been away, but surely this is a sight for sore eyes? JJ lurking the forum?

I could imagn Glen feeling pritty swamped with all the comments. Good luck HB!!!

Haha, yeah it's been a while. My time on the forums declined rapidly when uni started, and I'm living in Zurich these days. But when I saw a new game I thought I'd keep an eye on it. It's funny seeing these old names like you and Gay Guy (although haven't seen him on here recently) popping up.

Latest posts