• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ferris to Japan

No this move is due to him knowing he won't be getting central contract and his knee been in bits that he won't have long left and may as well make money while he can

I think this is the right move for Ferris. It is such a travesty that he has suffered so many injuries during his career, but he needs to start looking at his long term health. If he wants to still be able to walk come his 50's, then he needs to lower the impact put on his knees. Obviously retiring completely would be the most effective way to do that, but going to Japan where the intensity is low, and making some money for a couple of years is a good balance.

I completely understand the IRFU's hesitation in offering Ferris a new contract. Brilliant player that he is, he's injured more often than not. They can't afford to keep a sicknote on the payroll.

May I add there is big decrease in money offered and reduced amount of central contracts so like Snoop said it understandable when you consider he is effectively only able for 10 games max a season

Yeah, right move. Japan seems like a recovery ward league at the moments - players like Ferris, Toeava and Kahui all go there for the same reasons you'd think. Less damaging rugby for better money.

I believe there's a central contract on the table for Fez, but at rather low-ball money - and they will only start talking once he's recovered from injury. Not a huge surprise he's walked, and I hope it goes well for him and that he's back with Ulster in a couple of years tops.

I believe there's a central contract on the table for Fez, but at rather low-ball money - and they will only start talking once he's recovered from injury. Not a huge surprise he's walked, and I hope it goes well for him and that he's back with Ulster in a couple of years tops.

Well it is meant to be a one year deal and Ferris is to me the type of guy who unless he's forcibly but in a wheelchair will come back for the WC for better or for worse.

I don't know BG8. He has taken a fair whack on the knee and it no secret he needs a knee replacement eventually it simply put how much can his body take. No matter how tough the guy is if his knee is gone he will be gone

I don't know BG8. He has taken a fair whack on the knee and it no secret he needs a knee replacement eventually it simply put how much can his body take. No matter how tough the guy is if his knee is gone he will be gone

I know but what I'm saying is that if he stays injury free in Japan he is the sort of guy who will try and come back for the World Cup. Quiet obviously if he's injured it won't be an option but he is the sort of person who will try to do it. Also as the article says the contract will probably be a one year deal it's not exactly the most far fetched thing in the world.

His knee's fine for the foreseeable, or so he says, and isn't even the problem here. Dunno whether to believe him, but not sure whether to believe the misery-boxes either - if I had a quid for every time I'd heard doom and gloom over an Irish player's injury I'd be able to fly the entire fecking board out to Dublin and pay for a night on the lash.

edit: And yeah, if he can be back he will be.

I know that as in it is known he needs a replacement after he retires whenever that may be. But when has he last put together a real string of games without an injury and well he isn't exactly a player that protects himself out in field and only tackles when he has to.

Would Ulster players be eligible for tax credits like the rest of the Irish players, if not I don't see why more don't move off.
No they don't qualify as they get paid in Belfast and pay to UK tax bracket. Tommy Bowe had issue and it was queried could he qualify if he used an address in Monaghan but it didn't matter as he was paid in UK technically.

Latest posts