• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fiji RWC Squad

J

Juggernaut

The final RWC squad was announced on Friday evening by FRU Chairman Keni Dakuidreketi.

Forwards:

Graham Dewes, Alefoso Yalayalatabua, Jone Railomo, Henry Qiodravu
Sunia Koto, Vereniki Sauturaga, Bill Gadolo
Iferemi Rawaqa, Isoa Domolailai, Kele Leawere, Wame Lewaravu
Netani Talei, Semisi Naevo, Akapusi Qera, Aca Ratuva
Sisa Koyamaibole, Jone Qovu

Backs:

Mosese Rauluni, Jone Daunivucu
Nicky Little, Waisea Luveniyali
Seremaia Bai, Seru Rabeni, Kameli Ratuvou, Maleli Kunavore
Isoa Neivua, Filimoni Bolavucu, Filimoni Delasau, Gabriele Lovobalavu
Norman Ligairi

Dropped are: Alifereti Doviverata, Sireli Bobo, Rupeni Caucau, Tiko Matawalu, Apisai Turukawa, Langi Peters, Tomasi Soqeta, Apolosi Satala, Viliame Satala, Vitori Buatava, Mosese Luveitasau, Marika Vakacegu & Taniela Rawaqa who are all in the Non-Travelling Reserve List.

Good looking squad - the only surprises for me would be the inclusion of Qovu over Soqeta, given that Qovu was given no game time at all in the Pacific Nations Cup, while Soqeta played several games and looked impresive. Also the selection of only two half backs in the squad - do they have anyone else in the squad who can cover halfback?

Good looking squad - the only surprises for me would be the inclusion of Qovu over Soqeta, given that Qovu was given no game time at all in the Pacific Nations Cup, while Soqeta played several games and looked impresive. Also the selection of only two half backs in the squad - do they have anyone else in the squad who can cover halfback? [/b]
No, if one of the halfs is injured then we will have to get one from the non-travelling reserves...who is likely to be Seveci Taka.

Yes, I was actually quite surprised too at the omission of Soqeta. He had a tremendous game in the PNC...very unlucky of him.

Well, the decision has been made so all we can do now is rally behind the boys and show them our support.

Aw what? no sireli mmmmbombo? lol aw man, i thought he'd be part of it and so i can see him outsprint everyone!

no surprise about rupeni though aye

Aw what? no sireli mmmmbombo? lol aw man, i thought he'd be part of it and so i can see him outsprint everyone!

no surprise about rupeni though aye
[/b]
caucau should be their same as bobo. Both players with blistering pace and flair why left out

Nacewa prefers to play with New Zealand and Caucau is a real good player but has many problems (failing doping test with drug). Fidji may have a little chance but must to have some positives guys.

Anyone with more recent knowledge of the Fijian team care to suggest who we should watch out for? Rabeni is solid enough for Leiciester and I remember Ligari's try v Japan from the 2003 RWC. Who are the likely gamebreakers in this squad?

Anyone with more recent knowledge of the Fijian team care to suggest who we should watch out for? Rabeni is solid enough for Leiciester and I remember Ligari's try v Japan from the 2003 RWC. Who are the likely gamebreakers in this squad?

[/b]

The Fijian outside backs can all be very dangerous - probably the two to watch out for are Kameli Ratuvou who will be at centre, and particularily Filimone Bolavucu who will be on one of the wings - he is very fast....

[/b]
Like Darwin23 said, it's our outside backs who you should be watching. Seremaia Bai is one who I highly rate if he gets a start ahead of Rabeni at 12, Kameli Ratuvou, & Maleli Kunavore.

But the player who I think most dont know about is winger Isoa Neivua. Keep a close eye on him. Built like prop-forward but can outrun everyone (much like Caucau). He can break tackles or sidestep players and is also very good defensively.

<div class='quotemain'> Anyone with more recent knowledge of the Fijian team care to suggest who we should watch out for? Rabeni is solid enough for Leiciester and I remember Ligari's try v Japan from the 2003 RWC. Who are the likely gamebreakers in this squad?
[/b]
Like Darwin23 said, it's our outside backs who you should be watching. Seremaia Bai is one who I highly rate if he gets a start ahead of Rabeni at 12, Kameli Ratuvou, & Maleli Kunavore.

But the player who I think most dont know about is winger Isoa Neivua. Keep a close eye on him. Built like prop-forward but can outrun everyone (much like Caucau). He can break tackles or sidestep players and is also very good defensively.

[/b][/quote]

Agreed about Neivua - I'll admit I'd never heard of him before the pacific nations cup this year, but he played exceptionally well in every game he played - the first time he got the ball I thought he was a hooker out on the wing, then he took off from a standing start and beat about three tackles. I'd imagine he'd be starting on one wing with Bolovucu on the other.

If I was coach, I would pick a backline like this:

10. Little

11. Neivua

12. Bai / Rabeni

13. Kunavore

14. Ratuvou

15. Ligairi

with Bolavucu on the bench.

If I was coach, I would pick a backline like this:

10. Little

11. Neivua

12. Bai / Rabeni

13. Kunavore

14. Ratuvou

15. Ligairi

with Bolavucu on the bench.

[/b]

hey jugs, why the change of heart about Nicky? i thought you said he was over the hill? I havent been following much about the Fiji team the last couple of years, so i took your word for it....

kbourke,

Ilie Tabua is more than likely to pick him for the position anyway (cant do anything about it now) but I still stand by my earlier calls that he should have been culled. He is over the hill and his playing style doesnt suit the running-game which we favour. A lot of the time he crashes the ball over or throw a pass a second too late thus preventing our backline to run. Instead, most of our wingers spend most of the match chasing kicks after kicks after kicks....

The selectors & coaches favoured his experience & kicking abilities more than the attacking ability of Waisea Luveniyali or Seremaia Bai....but I hope he proves all his critics wrong and try to at least make-use of our backline.

If he fails, he knows whats coming his way...

kbourke,

Ilie Tabua is more than likely to pick him for the position anyway (cant do anything about it now) but I still stand by my earlier calls that he should have been culled. He is over the hill and his playing style doesnt suit the running-game which we favour. A lot of the time he crashes the ball over or throw a pass a second too late thus preventing our backline to run. Instead, most of our wingers spend most of the match chasing kicks after kicks after kicks....

The selectors & coaches favoured his experience & kicking abilities more than the attacking ability of Waisea Luveniyali or Seremaia Bai....but I hope he proves all his critics wrong and try to at least make-use of our backline.

If he fails, he knows whats coming his way...

[/b]

I agree about his general play, he had been doing that even a few years ago.. But his kicking game is quite important for Fiji.. is there anyone else who can kick for goal well in the team?

Bai can also kick for goals but his strike rate is well-below that of Nicky....but his general kicking is just about the same as Nicky while Luveniyali, although a good punter of the ball tends to run it out more (even from the 22). Risky, but the type of player we want to watch. His goal kicking though needs a little bit more work.

All of them defensively are very sound and can hit above their weight.

Final Conclusion: All have the same attributes except Nicky has the edge in his goa-kicking.

Bai can also kick for goals but his strike rate is well-below that of Nicky....but his general kicking is just about the same as Nicky while Luveniyali, although a good punter of the ball tends to run it out more (even from the 22). Risky, but the type of player we want to watch. His goal kicking though needs a little bit more work.

All of them defensively are very sound and can hit above their weight.

Final Conclusion: All have the same attributes except Nicky has the edge in his goa-kicking.

[/b]

Well on that then i would have to agree that they should pick Nicky as first choice.. The Fiji forwards aren't good enough at the breakdown to risk trying to run it out of our own territory under pressure.. I think i would feel better if Nicky was there against Wales to kick it out, give us some field position, and then if Fiji was under pressure and needed to start taking big risks get Luveniyali out there in the last 20 to run it...

I'll tell you why at least Caucau shouldn't be on the team: attitude. Guys like him take away from the team spirit by trying to act like pampered superstars. Yes, he's a threat on the field. But I'd rather have him out of the squad because he's a palyer who's just been feeding on the flash and hype that surrounds him.

Fiji dont need Caucau because Filimoni Bolavucu is gonna be doin all the scoring in this RWC.

YOU CANT BENCH BOLAVUCU.....HES THE SECRET WEAPON...JAPAN/CANADA/ AND WALES DONT KNOW about him