• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

First "Hands on" playtest... lookin good

Originally posted by knowsleyroader@Jan 25 2005, 08:33 PM
Did lomu have problems ? To be honest I cant think of any at the moment..
No knock ons or forward passes, do they count ? Made it more fun

Bill Mclaren.... WOAH!!!!
<
How did they coax this legend out of retirement????

When I first spotted that preview, it didn't have any commentators mentioned on it!!!!! This is really good news. Roll on Next Week!!!
<

I couldn't tell the difference between the two people talking Eric but he sounds a laugh. Good pairing.

Bill McLaren!!! Everybody's gotta be happy with that.

I, for one, shall be looking forward to going in there in a style akin to a demented mole

Originally posted by knowsleyroader@Jan 25 2005, 08:33 PM
Really? I can certainly think of more than a couple!:

1. Offloads could be pulled off stupidly late, making the AI easy to beat even with the worst teams once mastered...
2. Lomu himself was just ridiculously strong, he could palm off 15 men if you timed it right...
3. overly simplistic line outs that required no skill
4. The worst goal kicking system of any rugby game!

I'm sure I could bring up plenty more...
I don't mean to be negative, but seriously, JLR WAS NOT THAT GOOD!!! You all crap on like it was perfect when it was satisfactory at best... I seriously had more fun with EA "RUGBY" than JLR, I just never thought it was that good...
And personaly I think SJRL shits all over it!
Don't take offence guys, I'm mearly just trying to sobre those of you that believe JLR to be like some sort of rugby video game 'messia'...

personally i think the kicking on jlr was the best (mainly cos i was good at it!:D) but yeah handoffs in game were ridiculous, get any left winger in the game, and i mean any, and you could go through the whole team. offloads were stupid too, but to be honest it was alot smoother than any other rugby game, and tackles didnt just feel like you pressed tackle and the computer found the player and tackled him wherever he was, whatever direction etc., and the rucks were the best theres been aswell.

also in terms of the playtest, the create a player mode sounds quite large but it doesnt imply create a team does it?
i cant wait for this now, i remember being so disappointed by 2004 after we'd all talked it up on here, then no-one could believe locksley that it was crap as we were all disappointed..so this time im going on his words. this game looks drastically improved and actually sounds pretty good from what we are reading...im just disappointed that i'll be leaving to go travelling at the start of april and as delays are almost a certainty...:'( i probably wont be able to play it for 4 months!

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 25 2005, 03:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
and add silky smooth commentary from Britain's Bill McLaren and legendary Kiwi Murray Mexted and you've got a rugby game that both looks great and sounds great.
Bill McLaren is the guy from Sky isn't he? I was starting to like him more than our own commentators during the end of season tour. [/b][/quote]
You're probably thinking of Miles Harrison if you're talking about UK Sky. He's the best British commentator by far.

Originally posted by sanzar+Jan 25 2005, 11:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jan 25 2005, 11:28 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-knowsleyroader
@Jan 25 2005, 08:33 PM

Really? I can certainly think of more than a couple!:

1. Offloads could be pulled off stupidly late, making the AI easy to beat even with the worst teams once mastered...
2. Lomu himself was just ridiculously strong, he could palm off 15 men if you timed it right...
3. overly simplistic line outs that required no skill
4. The worst goal kicking system of any rugby game!

I'm sure I could bring up plenty more...
I don't mean to be negative, but seriously, JLR WAS NOT THAT GOOD!!! You all crap on like it was perfect when it was satisfactory at best... I seriously had more fun with EA "RUGBY" than JLR, I just never thought it was that good...
And personaly I think SJRL shits all over it!
Don't take offence guys, I'm mearly just trying to sobre those of you that believe JLR to be like some sort of rugby video game 'messia'... [/b]
Playing JLR in 2 player mode is the best - against the computer it nt so good as its too easy

1. you could stop offloads by using the smother tackler button and if you attempted an offload you risked losing the ball in the tackle

2.handoffs were easy but you could stop them by using the smother tackler button and timing it right which made it very realistic -
.you could even stop lomu himself this way

3.the linouts were great
4.goal kicking was good

Uh-oh.

Bill McLaren?

THE Bill McLaren?

I'll see you guys later, I gotta go to church. Gotta give god my first born . . . and pray that EA do not ruin what could possibly be the most inspired decision they've ever had.

Murray Mexted? Please tell me its true! The guy is a legend, and he better have some of his complete crap that he talks in there!

Also what is it with the Australian soundtrack? Why? Rugby isn't the sort of game you can associate with a type of music, so hell, lets go all out and give it Australian music! Yeah!

Found this paragraph the most interesting.

" in a word? Superbly, although there are some ****ling issues with passing to the wrong player/over the sideline on occasion and a few other minor complaints, but we're confident that they'll be ironed out before release. ****les aside, the game is as solid as a Jonah Lomu shoulder charge. "

All very well and good saying ****les aside. These testers know they are probably not going to play the game after reviewing it as they are probably not rugby fans and therefore are not concerned with ****les at all. They are just speaking about the game while ignoring the ****les.

We however want to play this game day in day out for years to come and this is probably where the ****les are going to become PROBLEMS.

Here's a thought:

Maybe they were playing as the United States, in which case errant passes to players in touch are fairly common.

Spot on EA!

O! the laughter masks the tears -- get this thing fixed.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Jan 26 2005, 10:47 AM
Here's a thought:

Maybe they were playing as the United States, in which case errant passes to players in touch are fairly common.

Spot on EA!

O! the laughter masks the tears -- get this thing fixed.
Quality post m8
<

Originally posted by Dom@Jan 26 2005, 08:25 AM
Also what is it with the Australian soundtrack? Why? Rugby isn't the sort of game you can associate with a type of music, so hell, lets go all out and give it Australian music! Yeah!
What are you trying to say? You should be happy they've even got a soundtrack, it's not completely Australian. Powderfinger and Grinspoon are awesome but 28 days may be past it. I've never heard the Cops but apparently they're similar to Jet or the Vines. I wonder what songs they'll feature and if Rugby 2005 will have it's own theme song like Fifa.

Latest posts