• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

First Test: Australia vs. British and Irish Lions (22/06/13)

The Lions won that in the second row, O'Connell and Wyn Jones were immense, and Johnny completely outplayed O'Conner. The injuries for Australia and Pollock not allowing the Lions contest at the breakdown probably evened out in the end. The Lions deserved the win just about!

A few changes are needed for the next game in my opinion.

6. O'Brien
9. Youngs
12. Roberts (If fit)
14. Bowe (If fit)

That was a disgraceful, incompetent and fairly obviously biased example of refereeing. Lost count of the penalties that any ref with half a eye could see were Lions balls or at least scrums and let them have free reign on our ball.

Bet Pollock's gutted he cant collect his win bonus now.

There's always next time!

Good game. Wish it would have been a different outcome, but at least they gave the Lions a run for their money.

das

The missed penalty from Beale at the end is exactly why taking your time to take a kick in the dying minutes of a match can really backfire. If he'd just been a bit quicker, that miss might not have proved as costly - play might have had time to kick off again, Aus could have worked up the field again and forced another opportunity.

Well done Lions, thought they played well in general. Impressed with Heaslip, thought he was everywhere. Didn't understand taking off Corbs or Jones - almost cost us the match on a few occasions. North is just unbelievable atm.

Sexton played amazingly haven't seen such consistent kicking out of hand in some time.
Half-pennies goal kicking ability is something to behold.
North was great.

Aussies played well, Robinson, Genia, and Folau all great.
Pity about all the backs getting sent off and the inability to put kicks over.

Great game of rugby for the neutral - Lions fans complaining about the ref - pretty mandatory, a few bad calls but consistently and deliberately blowing against the Lions - Please.

That was a disgraceful, incompetent and fairly obviously biased example of refereeing. Lost count of the penalties that any ref with half a eye could see were Lions balls or at least scrums and let them have free reign on our ball.

with all due respect, that is a hell of an overreaction.

unlucky Australia....but I'd have that Kurtley fellow's blood checked for alcohol....couldn't stay on his feet!

The Lions won that in the second row, O'Connell and Wyn Jones were immense, and Johnny completely outplayed O'Conner. The injuries for Australia and Pollock not allowing the Lions contest at the breakdown probably evened out in the end. The Lions deserved the win just about!

A few changes are needed for the next game in my opinion.

6. O'Brien
9. Youngs
12. Roberts (If fit)
14. Bowe (If fit)
agree with this although I would prob have Bowe on bench to start with and then depending on who is in a fitter condition I would have manu/Roberts in 12. The lineout was flawless. Also would add Croft or Faltaou on the bench as it would bring more impact. Than Lydite

The missed penalty from Beale at the end is exactly why taking your time to take a kick in the dying minutes of a match can really backfire. If he'd just been a bit quicker, that miss might not have proved as costly - play might have had time to kick off again, Aus could have worked up the field again and forced another opportunity.

Well done Lions, thought they played well in general. Impressed with Heaslip, thought he was everywhere. Didn't understand taking off Corbs or Jones - almost cost us the match on a few occasions. North is just unbelievable atm.

But if he kicks early and makes it, the Lions have another chance. You have to back yourself to get those kicks.

100% malicious?
Come on!

I don't think Cuthbert's done "enough" to be dropped, sure he dropped a kick but he also scored a great try. One of Zebo or Bowe on the bench for Maitland, though.

Calling Pollock biased after that is like saying Beale is a match fixer for missing that kick. Pollock is a human, he made mistakes.

They had two on the field but were both knocked out cold. One was definitely 100% malicious by North.

Rubbish. He just pushed Folau (who had the ball) into Barnes. A completely legitimate play, no worse than any other attempted tackle

Unlucky Aus.

Phillips was poor today, his attempted snipes really didn't work. I thought Croft was also poor, especially when he messed up that overlap by trying too much himself, instead of just drawing the man and passing. Dan Cole really isn't playing well atm, he was under severe pressure at the scrum, and almost cost Lions the game. Full 80 from Adam Jones next week please.

I wasn't impressed with the ref either. Some of his breakdown calls were bizarre to say the least.

I thought Phillips had a shocking game today, Youngs has to start the next test. Corbs was great, Jones and POC did well also. Sexton played well and North was immense but we were still very lucky to get away with a win. On to the next one!

Edit: The first try Phillips was a disgrace, North busting a nut to try to stop it and Mike just having a casual jog.

Just saw this one.

1016677_543974465665047_443446990_n.jpg

I wasn't impressed with the ref either. Some of his breakdown calls were bizarre to say the least.

Yeah, he certainly has a weird interpretation.
He is at least consitent though, he was pinging England left right and centre against Argentina too.

Phillips had a poor game, but I don't think I trust Young's decision making enough to want him to start... he's just as likely to lose a match as he is to win one.
I think JD2 played well, but I think we need Manu or Roberts to start.

Is it just me or have the Lions moved away from the Gatland template in the past couple of games...?
They seemed to have nailed it in the early games, then started to use it far less strictly.
I don't know whether that's people not getting in the right positions or the HB's decision making.

Edit: The first try Phillips was a disgrace, North busting a nut to try to stop it and Mike just having a casual jog.

Saw that too, pretty sure it gave me a hernia.

Lions lucky to escape - don't know what they were doing at the scrum at the end.

For all the calls that supposedly went against the Lions, that Cuthbert try should've been called back. O'Connor only needed an extra foot or two to get to Cuthbert, and O'Driscoll prevented that from happening without a doubt.

Otherwise, fantastic game for the neutral - some absolutely beautiful tries scored!

Latest posts