• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Food!

Did you find that the standard 2 bag order would last a month?
Yeah, easy - I'm having it about 5 times a week and get about 2 months out of an order
Think they claim each bag has 17 2-scoop-servings in - in reality it's either a little more or less than that as I usually have about one scoops worth left in the bottom of the bag at the end

I'm now trying to lose weight / generally eat more healthily so trying huel shakes and replaced my snacks with apples, lettuce, carrots, nuts and hummus. The hummus is what makes it bearable tbh. Hoping to lose about 6kg or so over the next 2 months.
Avocado. Super food and no doubt help you lose weight.

Ah but then I'll be one of those avocado buying lazy, frivolous millennials the prudent, smart people go on about.
Personally like it in a California roll. Goes well with Salmon and some spring onion and rice.

Still, loads found out from last few years. Since cancer. Bloods showed also had high cholesterol and also type 2 diabetes runs in my family. So I also have to watch what I eat and exercise and great deal more.

Carbohydrates being the biggest one- how it turns into sugar. Brown pasta and rice are better than white but still carbs but turns into sugar slower.

Basically where you pack the weight is important. The abdomen area especially given that is where the pancreas is and how fat builds up over time there and that is what affects insulin production.

Cholesterol is the other and how you have different types. But I am sure you can look
All that up.

Good luck with the diet.

I'm a bit of a Tim Spector / Zoe fanboy (I'd highly recommend their YouTube channel if you're interested in nutrition), so didn't learn much watching this, but it was a fun recap, if rather fleeting.

It's funny that this should be on the day after people were talking about replacing a meal with some sort of futuristic Slim Fast.

I'm now trying to lose weight / generally eat more healthily so trying huel shakes and replaced my snacks with apples, lettuce, carrots, nuts and hummus. The hummus is what makes it bearable tbh. Hoping to lose about 6kg or so over the next 2 months.
Many years of marketing and "sponsored" research has created a society of people who think they will suffer a blackout if they don't eat for a couple of hours. According to my understanding, this really isn't true and is counterproductive in that you're constantly spiking your insulin levels. If you're interested, try doing a bit of reading about time-restricted eating (TRE) / intermittent fasting (IF). It's quite often advocated in tandem with a low-carb diet, which I followed pretty strictly for about 8 months. This made intermittent fasting and not eating between meals really easy, the meals were satiating and didn't perpetuate the cycle of eating something that creates a false sense of hunger a few hours later. Having got to a point where I don't want to lose any more weight, I'm trying to keep to a healthy diet, but am eating more carbs and treats, but luckily the urge to eat between meals has stayed away.

I'm a bit of a Tim Spector / Zoe fanboy (I'd highly recommend their YouTube channel if you're interested in nutrition), so didn't learn much watching this, but it was a fun recap, if rather fleeting.
Yes followed him and the channel during lockdowns. I liked his emphasis on looking after your gut health as good way of looking after overall health.

Many years of marketing and "sponsored" research has created a society of people who think they will suffer a blackout if they don't eat for a couple of hours. According to my understanding, this really isn't true and is counterproductive in that you're constantly spiking your insulin levels. If you're interested, try doing a bit of reading about time-restricted eating (TRE) / intermittent fasting (IF). It's quite often advocated in tandem with a low-carb diet, which I followed pretty strictly for about 8 months. This made intermittent fasting and not eating between meals really easy, the meals were satiating and didn't perpetuate the cycle of eating something that creates a false sense of hunger a few hours later. Having got to a point where I don't want to lose any more weight, I'm trying to keep to a healthy diet, but am eating more carbs and treats, but luckily the urge to eat between meals has stayed away.
To be honest I didn't snack that much originally anyway and tended to eat 2 meals a day but I've now reduced the calories and makeup of those meals and so have allowed myself snacks in between but they must be healthy things. Sometimes I just make the snack bigger and it becomes the meal instead but it's still the same healthy foods.

Yes followed him and the channel during lockdowns. I liked his emphasis on looking after your gut health as good way of looking after overall health.
It's an interesting area and almost certainly falls into a category of things that seem to be beneficial and almost certainly aren't going to have a negative effect. I make my own saurkraut and have a glass of kefir most days, which hopefully does some good. I could be much better at eating the rainbow and making sure I get my 30 a week though.

@RedruthRFC I also drink kefir,in the evening :Da habit from childhood, although a very Soviet tradition. Also, there's a very good thing called maślanka (in Polish) or pahta (I think you call it "buttermilk" in English). Really good for your health 👍 also, I love "okroshka" soup on kefir, best soup during a hot summer weather when you don't want to eat anything hot

@RedruthRFC I also drink kefir,in the evening :Da habit from childhood, although a very Soviet tradition. Also, there's a very good thing called maślanka (in Polish) or pahta (I think you call it "buttermilk" in English). Really good for your health 👍 also, I love "okroshka" soup on kefir, best soup during a hot summer weather when you don't want to eat anything hot
Thanks for mentioning that. Now that summer has arrived in England, I'm producing more kefir than I know what to do with, so it would be great to be able to cook with it.

Do you make your own Kefir or buy it in?
I make it. I paid a fiver or so for the grains just before Christmas and haven't managed to kill them yet! In that time, I've split them and given half to a friend and could do with splitting them again.

All it costs me is the price of 200ml or so of milk every day.

I make it. I paid a fiver or so for the grains just before Christmas and haven't managed to kill them yet! In that time, I've split them and given half to a friend and could do with splitting them again.

All it costs me is the price of 200ml or so of milk every day.
I just bought some Kefir drink today to give it a go. The unflavoured original one I found completely unpalatable, quite sour like gone off milk. The vanilla flavoured one was nice though.

I just bought some Kefir drink today to give it a go. The unflavoured original one I found completely unpalatable, quite sour like gone off milk. The vanilla flavoured one was nice though.
Being I tightwad, I've only ever tried my own homemade version. The grains I bought needed a bit of nursing back to health when I got them first, which meant that I had a gentle introduction to the flavour, which got stronger as the grains got healthier, by which time I'd developed a taste for it.

The standard advice for homemade kefir (and other fermented products) is to build up the amount you drink slowly. Even though the bacteria it contains are good, having too much, too soon can upset your microbiome and cause an upset stomach. This may be less of a concern with commercial kefir, which contains less of the good stuff. Did the kefir you bought come with any sort of warning along these lines?

Being I tightwad, I've only ever tried my own homemade version. The grains I bought needed a bit of nursing back to health when I got them first, which meant that I had a gentle introduction to the flavour, which got stronger as the grains got healthier, by which time I'd developed a taste for it.

The standard advice for homemade kefir (and other fermented products) is to build up the amount you drink slowly. Even though the bacteria it contains are good, having too much, too soon can upset your microbiome and cause an upset stomach. This may be less of a concern with commercial kefir, which contains less of the good stuff. Did the kefir you bought come with any sort of warning along these lines?
No warnings I could see but I've not been having that much anyway. Half a standard cup once a day.

Does anyone have experience of making fermented hot sauce or ideally a recipe? I cleared the shelf of heavily reduced-price chillies in the Co-op across the road from me last night and intend to use them up this way.

Does anyone have experience of making fermented hot sauce or ideally a recipe? I cleared the shelf of heavily reduced-price chillies in the Co-op across the road from me last night and intend to use them up this way.

I found this website a while ago and have been meaning to try some of the stuff on there. There may be something suitable.

Latest posts