• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football is better than Rugby - FACT

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyIsAwful

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Hello, I've come on here to debate with those silly enough to think that Rugby, a sport played by about 10 nations is better than the worlds game, Football. I will put forth my list of reasons and you can put forward yours (although I already know what they'll be) and we can have a good debate.

1) - Rugby games are devoid of any atmosphere, the fans consist of the most boring people ever content to make absolutely no noise at all.
2) - Rugby has barely any match attending fans for club games. Leicester Tigers get a crowd on average of 21,244, thats the best there is in the whole of the Rugby Premier League. So far after one round of Premier League Football action EVERY team went past that apart from Swansea, who sold out but their stadium isn't as big as Leicesters.
3) - The 'world' cup in Rugby is handful of nations from the Commenwealth with a few teams there to make up the numbers, when the football world cup is on the whole world stops and watches.
4) - The fans aren't passionate, and by passionate I don't mean dressing up like a daffodil and looking a bell. Anyone who's been to a football match will realise the result at the game means a lot whole lot more to the fans than it does to the Rugby equivalent. As a fan of FC United of Manchester I experience the greatest atmosphere in Britain every week, and we're in the 7th tier of English football. SEVENTH. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Th9oRtmIE <-- If you can find any rugby fans more passionate than us, the 7th tier of football then I will give you £50.
5) - Rugby is played by people who couldn't play football, you know that fat kid who couldn't shoot, pass or run? He's probably playing rugby.
6) - Rugby is just a line of fat potatoes devoid of skill running into the other line of fat potatoes.
7) - Rugby came from some kid who was obviously diabolical at football and so he had to cheat being the fat useless mess he was and picked up the ball, hopefully he was battered.
8) - Rugby is for gays only, I'm straight so why on earth would I want to play a game based upon pulling men to the ground before diving on them and grabbing their ass. No thanks.
9) - Rugby players have to pass it backwards to go forwards, what the hell is the point? The Americans realised this and made their own game, American Football.
10) - Scores in Rugby have no significance, the fans barely celebrate them because they know they'll be another 57474 penalties anyway, goals in football are rarer and mean a lot more.
11) - Economics. Rugby fans call footballers overpaid (true) however this can be easily compared to cars. Why would you pay the price of an Aston Martin for a Ford Kia? There's a reason footballers are paid more, it's because there's actually interest in them because they are talented.
12) - [STOLEN] The 2006 World Cup Final drew an average live audience of 322 million people, with an eventual reach of 638 million people. Cumulatively speaking, over a billion people watched Italy beat France on penalties to lift the Jules Rimet Trophy. That’s one sixth of the planet. In terms the tournament as a whole, a cumulative audience of 30 billion viewers watched the finals in Germany. By comparison, the 2007 Rugby World Cup tournament had a cumulative world television audience of 4.2 billion. That’s 14%. Rugby is BETAMAX, Football is VHS. The bottom line is, Rugby sits behind Football, the Olympics, the Tour De France and the Superbowl in terms of a global fan base. That’s right, more people watch men cycling up a hill in spandex than watch Rugby.

And to counter your arguments -

1. "Footballers are babies, they fake injuries and dive!!!" This loses all creditbility when you remember rugby players chewing blood capsules to leave the field.
2. "Footballers are thugs, Rugby is the sport for gents!!!" Just how many eye gouges and stamps do the players get penalised for again?
3. "Rugby players can respect the ref!!!" True, I respect rugby players ability to show the referee the respect he deserves, however you must realise that when a game means as much as it does to the fans the players will do everything they can to win, if football was as unpopular as rugby I'm sure the refs would be given the appropriate respect.

This finishes my post, I look forward to debating with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HeJe8GC024 <-- Real fans for a real sport.

-RugbyIsAwful.

Such an argumentative chap!
Unfortunately you won't get a rise from me!
Cheers for the attempt though!
Knowing football fan's mentality, I'm not surprised at your stance.

Anyways….

For your argument to have any sort of credence you have to address something…
All football is terrible.
Terrible.

Only the world cup produces any drama, the rest is just 90minutes of nothing.
No goals, lots of crying on the floor, swearing at referees.
Every game.

Such an argumentative chap!
Unfortunately you won't get a rise from me!
Cheers for the attempt though!
Knowing football fan's mentality, I'm not surprised.

Anyways….

For your argument to have any sort of credence you have to address something…
All football is terrible.
Terrible.

Only the world cup produces any drama, the rest is just 90minutes of nothing.
No goals, lots of crying on the floor, swearing at referees.
Every game.

Nice little acrostic poem filled with absolutely no points other than all football is terrible bar the world cup which obviously isn't true considering more people watched the climax of the 2011/2012 PL season than watched the Rugby World Cup Final, although it was a nice attempt.

Don't watch or play it then?
I think football is absolutely ridiculous, so I don't watch or play it.

Oh dear, I seem to have inadvertently stumbled into a Youtube comment section. Or is it 606? Strange.

f35a8d3d.gif

I love this one:

3) - The 'world' cup in Rugby is handful of nations from the Commenwealth with a few teams there to make up the numbers, when the football world cup is on the whole world stops and watches.

Italy, Romania, Georgia, Russia, South Africa, Argentina, Namibia, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, Japan are all in the Commenwealth, apparently. What "few" other countries are you talking about? Both sports started in England and in both sports England only won a World Cup once. Just shows you how global it is. 3 continents have won a Rugby World Cup. 4 have made it to a semi final. In football, it's just Europe and South America.

Oh well. Let's go with it, for argument sake. The Rugby World Cup grows a lot faster than the FIFA World Cup. It took FIFA a total of 52 years to get to 20+ teams at a tournament. Rugby did it in less than 20 years. Therefore, it grows faster and will surpass Football at the rate it's going now. Unrealistic? Oh well. We'll see. Rugby has only been a professional sport for 17 years but has grown at a much more sophisticated way than Football.

* Use of technology to ensure fair play:
Rugby: CHECK Football: Nah

* Improve the sport and cross borders to create domestic club-competitions to make teams grow:

* Respect towards the referee by players:

* Trying out new rules to improve the game:

SIDE NOTE: Funny, actually. In Football, they had 3 rule changes since 1970:

1. Yellow and Red cards
2. Goalkeeper not allowed to pick up back pass
3. 3-point system for a win

Not very sophisiticated huh?

Just go and enjoy your football. There's people watching the Tour de France as well. Go bother them.

Oh, one last thing, a thing you'll never see in the traditional/outdated football world:

Look at how a sport can unite a country:

IRFU_Provinces_Flag.jpg

I love this one:

Italy, Romania, Georgia, Russia, South Africa, Argentina, Namibia, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, Japan are all in the Commenwealth, apparently.

Oh well. Let's go with it, for argument sake. The Rugby World Cup grows a lot faster than the FIFA World Cup. It took FIFA a total of 52 years to get to 20+ teams at a tournament. Rugby did it in less than 20 years. Therefore, it grows faster and will surpass Football at the rate it's going now. Unrealistic? Oh well. We'll see. Rugby has only been a professional sport for 17 years but has grown at a much more sophisticated way than Football.

* Use of technology to ensure fair play:

* Improve the sport and cross borders to create domestic club-competitions to make teams grow:

* Respect towards the referee by players:

* Trying out new rules to improve the game:

SIDE NOTE: Funny, actually. In Football, they had 3 rule changes since 1970:

1. Yellow and Red cards
2. Goalkeeper not allowed to pick up back pass
3. 3-point system for a win

Not very sophisiticated huh?

Just go and enjoy your football. There's people watching the Tour de France as well. Go bother them.

Oh, one last thing, a thing you'll never see in the traditional/outdated football world:

Look at how a sport can unite a country:

IRFU_Provinces_Flag.jpg

If England won the football world cup again the whole of England would be united, I can't even see your photo anyway but okay.

Rugby will never outgrow football because it's a ****e spectator sport and a ****e TV Sport and the playing figures compared to football are laughable.

Technology - Goal-line technology just been introduced.
Domestic Club Competitions - I presume you mean the Irish Scottish Welsh league thingy, not needed.
Respect to the ref - It's easy to show respect when nobody gives a toss about the sport, when it means something to people it's hard to keep emotions in check.
New Rules - Not needed, the worlds best sport by a mile in terms of playing and viewing, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Commenwealth - I said teams to make up the numbers as well did I not.

I agree

Any way, I was going to say,

Mods, mods, his first post was only just over an hour ago. Can we go for the all time quickest banning record? Can we, oh pleeeease!!!

Last edited:
Why are you guys feeding it? :p

On that note, this is probably the perfect time for an NFL + Rugby alliance. :)

Any way, I was going to say,

Mods, mods, his first post was only just over an hour ago. Can we go for the all time quickest banning record? Can we, oh pleeeease!!!

I say don't ban it - for now.

Spambots can be quite entertaining for a time being.

You both numbered and bullet pointed your list. WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts