• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football Thread

Now while I completely agree that this super league is nothing more than a money grab, I do think football has issues that are going to cause it problems in the future. There is far too much money in football and the quality of the sport has been dropping. One big issue especially is the teams that win the competitions. Just a quick look.

French league: PSG won 7 out of the last 8
German League: Bayern won 8 out of the last 8 with many doubles or trebles
Italian League: Juventus won 9 out of the last 9 with 4 being doubles
Spanish league: Either Barcelona or Real apart from a couple of exceptions. Hell since 2000 only Valencia twice and Athletico once.
Scottish league: I had to go back to 1985 to find a team that wasn't Celtic or Rangers. Hell Rangers got demoted to the very bottom and still they are the only other team to win other than Celtic.
Premiership: It is a bit more varied, but apart from Leicester it has been the teams with the most money competing for the ***le.

Bascially football is already about greed with ridiculous wages and the teams that are financed with big squads often win through sheer weight on money. Football became the equivalent of soaps for men. Basically for decades fans have lived vicariously through their teams. Clubs knew this and exploited it completely. Insane prices that they knew they could charge because fans would pay regardless. In England we have a ridiculous number of clubs that in reality wouldn't survive if they weren't financed from outside. The league structure is bloated with too many clubs and financially it's not viable, which is why you see big gaps opening between those who are given the most money.

Simply for years football has been about nothing but money and exploiting fans. I don't know why fans act so outraged when they've been fleeced for years already. This was just the next logical step.
The only fans who ever objected to rich overseas backers were Man U and that was only because there would have been an initial debt attached to the takeover.

They cannot expect money men to come in and make a loss. Spurs are apparently half a billion in debt. Barcelona have always had massive unsustainable debts. If they got the chance to massively increase their TV and Asian revenues they are going tk take it.

I don't understand how this is a shock to anyone.

and the "big 6" are out....they have folded hilariously quickly, can they hoestly have been so arrogant as to have not idea how their own fans would react let alone the rest of football

in other good news Wimbledon have now won four on the trot and scored 14, not yet safe but putting up a bloody good fight, fourth in the form table, long live fan ownership

1618959492136.png

E02D0865-22EE-4C64-B9C0-8022103F9F59.gif

Leicester miss out and Chelsea finish 4th.

Last edited:
Will someone please miss. 11-10.

Finally!!!

Congrats Villarreal.

Pretty good game so far in the CL final.

Ironic that PSG, who covet the biggest prize in club football, sacked the coach who wins it for another club.

Last edited:
The England squad is uhh... Interesting.

Shame Greenwood is out, I think he would have torn international defences apart from the right in a front three.

I'm assuming Southgate is going to attempt to fit Walker and TAA into his starting 11 but one of James and Trippier seems surplus to requirements.

Golden opportunity for England considering their two main rivals are in the same group along with Germany as I see it but I don't think they have the manager to get by.

Latest posts