• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football Thread

First two competitive games post World Cup. Job done I thought and top of the group.

Other thoughts:
Beating Italy away for first time in 62 years and that was a friendly was no mean feat. Kane redeeming himself by scoring a penalty (right side this time) to break the all time record and then add to it v Ukraine.

Yesterday'a game was very professional I thought. Got the game done and dusted in the first half and didn't give Ukraine a shot on target in the second.

Saka's 2nd goal was sublime and he was easily MOTM. Such a shame Rashford didn't turn up and decided to swan off to NYC instead because a front 3 of him, Kane and Saka would have been worth seeing during both games. I think Rashford would have buried that chance Grealish missed v Italy to make it 3-0.

Midfield 3 did well Rice, Phillips/Henderson, Bellingham. Seem to be building depth there with Gallagher and when Mount returns.

Back 4: biggest concern is depth at centre back. Stones and Maguire the top choice and would likely start their next summer. But Maguire gave away his trademark sloppy pass, which led to Italy's goal. GS either plays Shaw there as a natural left footer and Chilwell at left back or he grooms Levi Colwill of Brighton there as a long term replacement.

This should be a good game tonight, to see where ROI are at. Shame it is on subscription tv channel I can't access/don't want to pay for. Same with Scotland v Spain tomorrow.

Hard luck Ireland. Great strike by Pavard. Not as good as Saka's mind you.

And they have found a good replacement for Lloris.

Can Wales back up their result v Croatia at home to Latvia tonight?

Sorry i missed it. Cant see the video now. Happy to help but i'd need a new link i'm afraid!
No worries. Saw a clip of what Messi
Said with subtitles. He was very generous to his team mates and said he couldn't have won it without them. That was the gist of it.

When he speaks he comes across as INCREDIBLY generous. The other day he gave a speech and he made a point of people understanding how the 2014 and 2018 campaigns were fundamental in achieving victory in 2022, and the credit those players deserved.

Partly due to my education and partly because of my personality i tend to look for flaws, in everything. People, companies, processes, you name it.
Trust me, this guy doesnt have many.

Hardly perfect, course, he is human. But his heart is consistently in the right place, i like the values he represents, he doesnt quit and tries to lead by example.

Whoever is Chelsea manager I don't envy them. They'll likely last less than a season. A club that has spent £600m and forgot to buy a striker. New owners don't have a clue and any strategy. Felt sorry for Potter.

Someone (can't remember who, possibly Ferdinand or Carragher)was making the point that he looked good for Leicester because he was defending deep, heading, tackling and clearing forwards.
He's then bought by United who defend higher up the pitch and everyone is surprised that he can't play out of defence and isn't comfortable going back towards his own goal when that's never really been his game previously.

Someone (can't remember who, possibly Ferdinand or Carragher)was making the point that he looked good for Leicester because he was defending deep, heading, tackling and clearing forwards.
He's then bought by United who defend higher up the pitch and everyone is surprised that he can't play out of defence and isn't comfortable going back towards his own goal when that's never really been his game previously.
His lack of mobility is the biggest issue - thought wise and physically and limits the team's ability to play a higher line. He's very ordinary and not world class.

Laughable really that Man U paid £80m (most expensive defensive in the world) and reportedly £190k pw plus bonuses in wages, and continues to be picked by Southgate to start for England, which is baffling. Talk about rewarding mediocrity.

Man U will have difficulty moving him on in the summer without incurring a substantial loss and Harry a massive cut in wages.

He does come out with some corkers in the press ("I don't have to defend myself, as I have >50 caps and England's top scoring defender" and "I haven't lost playing for Man U since start of the season."🤔 And "I will consider it a failure if England don't win the Euros.😝).

So an all Manchester FA cup final.
Good penalty shootout as a neutral. Pity Solly March had to miss.

Man City v Arsenal tonight. Should decide where the premier league goes to. Should be a good one. Have to favour City at home and Arsenal drawing their last 3 games.

Be interesting to see how the Premier league investigation goes though into their Financial irregularities.

Yeh not surprising really. Got completely dominated. They did the same to Liverpool. But signs were there in last 3 games that Arsenal don't quite have the squad or belief to go all the way.

Issue is City just becoming a honed machine winning the ***le season after season. Used as a vehicle to sports wash their Abu Dhabi ownership. Just becoming another iteration of Abramovich's Chelsea.

Latest posts