• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football Thread

Love Ray Houghton being one of the 1987/88 Liverpool winning team, who got me supporting the reds.

Yeh, that 1988 Euros was one to forget for England and one to remember for ROI. So nearly got to the semis at the expense of the Dutch, which included the magical trio of Rikaard, Guillet and MVB, who turned Tony Adams inside out, and who ended up winning that one. Great kit as well.

Thought I'd give the football a watch to see if it'd scratch the lack-of-live-sport itch

Absolutely ******* awful.

Jeez, wait 3 months for the Everton v Liverpool game and it turns out to be dirge. Lucky to get out of Goodison with a point. Ah well, 5 more points to go to guarantee the ***le.

So close to the ***le after last night thumping of Palace. Over to Chelsea tonight to win or draw v City to hand Liverpool their first ***le for 30 years. It's been a long time coming.

10 more minutes....,

30 years of hurt finally come to an end.

Last edited:
Yeh agree. Very few can't think of any Englishman other than Jack.

Irishmen Popular on both sides. - George Best, Alex Higgins, Mcguigan, Dennis Taylor. Golfers Clarke and McIroy? Any others?

If the Brits don't love Harrington **** ye! Obviously the most respected footballer on both sides would be Roy Keane, but he'd have portions of both fan bases who hated him.

Jack was a hero, a gent who gave us our best era of football. I know matches he coached intimately despite not being born until 95.

Yeh agree. Very few can't think of any Englishman other than Jack.

Irishmen Popular on both sides. - George Best, Alex Higgins, Mcguigan, Dennis Taylor. Golfers Clarke and McIroy? Any others?
John Giles I suppose in his time would have been up there as well.

Charlton seems unique in that he accomplished greatness internationally with both countries though. (Andy Farrell could in theory get there but he'd have to win the world cup and even then he probably wouldn't get the same love as Charlton in either country)

Stuart Lancaster is probably rare as an Englishman who's very highly regarded in Ireland but not so much at home.

Keane is an interesting one, a Man United legend and easily one of the best players to ever play for Ireland but hated by a significant portion of the population on both sides of the sea, for understandable reasons.

Messi reported to have handed in transfer request to Barcelona.

No idea about the rights and wrongs of the Maguire case but incident on Thursday night followed by conviction of several charges on Tuesday doesn't exactly smack of thoroughly investigated case or fair trial.

Messi reported to have handed in transfer request to Barcelona.

If it is true, I suspect he is off home to Argentina to finish his career.

No idea about the rights and wrongs of the Maguire case but incident on Thursday night followed by conviction of several charges on Tuesday doesn't exactly smack of thoroughly investigated case or fair trial.

Crazy what has gone on. Think there is more to it than what is being said.

Latest posts