• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football Thread

Interesting vid. Gerrard subtly suggesting they didn't do that badly is probably fair but also maybe indicative of what they're saying re England not quite being on the level of club. Had they won either of the Portugal penalty shootouts they'd be seen as a good competitor in a very strong era of international football like Portugal themselves or the Dutch.

For me the problem was simple. They were hyped up way too much by the press and so expectations were ridiculously high. Calling them the golden generation while they were playing just added to that and made England seem more arrogant than normal.

The other issue in relation to clubs is that actually the top sides then and still mainly are dominated by foreign players. That's not an issue, but it doesn't translate internationally as you then actusally have a drop off down the league.

Sounds like UK has its own George Floyd case, but in this case excess use of a Taser and two kicks to the head.

I remember Dalian Atkinson scoring this goal of the season way back in the 1990s:

Justice for Dalian.

Thanks. Very happy.
What was amazing was the celebration. It's hard to explain but it was as if not just the players but i'd venture to argue we Argentines in general were happier about Messi winning this than Argentina winning this.
It's as if the footie gods were correcting an injustice of sorts. Since 2014 Argentina reached 4 finals with him (3 copa America, one world cup). We lost 3 but none of them in regular time which kinda suggests he was unlucky. In all of them we had the best chances during the 90 min too. Had Higuain or Palacios scored their relatively easy chances against Germany in 2014 WC the best-of-all-time would have been kinda settled for many. They would have ran out of excuses.

What is also a bit weird is that despite our rivalry, Messi is incredibly appreciated by Brazilians and Neymar by Argentines. That kinda tones down the animosity, thou fortunately not too much.

Bit of a rantish post, if i may. Read-only if you are bored.

It's hard to explain but it was as if not just the players but i'd venture to argue we Argentines in general were happier about Messi winning this than Argentina winning this.

I've been fortunate enough to have been born and raised in arguably one of the best places for someone who loves the sport. I've seen my national team win everything, the same with my club. Everything. I've also seen my club go down to the second division, only to come back and win the Libertadores against Boca in Madrid, arguably one of the most special moments in club footie history.

I know the sport's history and have been immersed in its culture since i have memory.
I've seen us lose finals, win finals, win against all odds and lose despite them.
I dislike playing this card, but you could say I've been around.

I have never, ever, seen anything like this. I would have even argued it was impossible, as it made little sense. I am unfortunately away now, but everything I see and hear is simply phenomenal.
Except for a few people/journos, everyone is ecstatic about him having won. It's not that Argentina won, it's that he won. The difference is neither sutil nor minor. It is huge. People have been criticizing his quality while playing for the national team for so long, unfairly imo, this is in a way a vindication.

And the guy, dear god. I've always been weary of idolizing people. I've made a mistake or two (Roger Waters comes to mind!), granted. But this kid is phenomenal. I literally try to find a bad, a trully bad thing in his resume and i can't find it. He is humble, he doesnt trash talk, he does charity, you wont find him lying on the pavement in front of a pub drunk as an irish friar on a cold Tuesday morning. He's not dating instagram models, married his childhood sweetheart, adores his kids. He could have played for Spain and decided not to, loves his country. He is shy but surprisingly, whenever he talks he makes a lot of sense. He avoids talking about things he doesn't know about.

He finishes winning the cup and the first thing he does is he calls his wife, his sons, his mother and grandmother. Next act he sits down with Neymar and has a laugh.

I am actively looking for a serious non-redeeming trait and i can't find them. I seriously cannot. Not saying he is perfect, hardly. He just does very few unforced errors, both inside and outside the pitch.

Some might scream "how about dodging taxes, that little weasel". Do you honestly believe a person like him actively goes to his team of accountants, overviews and steers what they do? "we gotta move 20 million from this jurisdiction to this other tax haven which has harsh privacy laws. They cant track our money there and we can even take advantage of their low dividend tax rate! We can screw them! HAHAHA!"
Seriously? His team made a mistake, sure, he is obviously still legally responsible, he showed up, corrected the mistake, paid the fine, end of.

It's truly remarkable how happy i am for him. I was unaware i cared this much.

End rant

So I've always wondered, and I don't think I've asked this question on here before.

If (very hypothetically) the Scottish league joined the English leagues, where would the Scottish teams end up? Would any actually be good enough for the Premiership?

All tied up (I think away goals are done with now?) with an extra man at home and you lose by two in the second half. Lol, couldn't happen to a nicer club.

I reckon the time has passed, 5 years ago and before that Celtic and at times Rangers would have made decent mid table sides and grown from there but the prem has only gotten bigger and Scottish football betting weaker and weaker.

They'd have to win the CL with that. Wouldn't be surprised if Mbappe got out to Madrid if he does sign though.

Or all the more reason to stay for one more season just to play alongside Messi and try to win the CL with that front 3? They have the Italian number 1 and Ramos at the back to keep the goal out. Could be some team.

I know I've gone on a bit before and almost no one will care….but

Tonight (sat uk time) Wimbledon will play its first "home" game in front of fans for 30years, after ground sharing with palace for a decade, then reforming at the bottom and playing on Sunday league grounds and then kingsmeadow (Kingston) for another 17 odd years…first game in Wimbledon in front of fans

It's huge

Latest posts