• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football Thread

That's not how player valuations work though is it. A player is worth what another club is prepared to pay for them, and buying English players means certain clubs can spend their foreign dollar without having to worry about their academies actually producing any home made talent.
Yeh crazy amount to pay for him though. Didn't cost West Ham £100m to develop Declan. He really isn't that good a player IMO for clubs to pay that. Not a great passer of the ball either. Fiorentina dominated possession last night. Not been that impressed when he's played for England To be honest.

Just think English players are overvalued.

I heard on ESPN yesterday that Messi owns a home in Miami and his wife wants to live there instead of just visiting on occasion. Their Miami correspondent also mentioned the part ownership aspect and endorsement deals that you did.
Yes, reportedly getting $54m guaranteed annual salary, a share of Apple TV subscriptions to MLS and also adidas sales. plus when his career ends he can acquire a part ownership in an MLS club. Helps having a house in Miami already but also that there is a large Hispanic/ Spanish speaking community in Miami and not far from Argentina.

doesn't rice have two years on his contract? and he is three years into his contract so theoretically it could be arbitrated out. Don't see what leverage west ham has?

Just think English players are overvalued.
They're all overvalued. They kick a bag of air for a living.

But like I said, there's the premium for homegrown talent as it doesn't impact the clubs foreign player quota.

They're all overvalued. They kick a bag of air for a living.

But like I said, there's the premium for homegrown talent as it doesn't impact the clubs foreign player quota.
Home grown talent doesn't necessarily mean they have to be English though. English players who aren't even top quality are fetching over the top prices that aren't warranted; not based on any particular merit. Maguire being the prime example.

I heard one of the pundits say this and it sort of made sense- Maguire was decent for Leicester in a team where he was defending on the edge of his box. It's not his fault that Man United then paid what they did for him solely looking at outcome without bothering to look at whether he'd actually suit their style of play.

I heard one of the pundits say this and it sort of made sense- Maguire was decent for Leicester in a team where he was defending on the edge of his box. It's not his fault that Man United then paid what they did for him solely looking at outcome without bothering to look at whether he'd actually suit their style of play.
Yeh I am sure he wasn't complaining getting his £190k pw either. Apparently Man U and ETH are so desperate to get rid of him this summer they are willing to pay off the rest of his contract at £10m for him to leave. This is what you get when you have a very mediocre player paid well beyond his capabilities.

No wonder he stayed looking for a big pay off. Accepting being 5th choice centre back and still club captain, when the manager puts a left back ahead of him tells you everything about Maguire.

All my life as a West Ham fan i have never seen them win anything. I am absolutely made up seeing then win something. Seeing Bobby Moore's daughter at the parade was class as well. COYI's
Shame the fans didn't cover themselves in glory as per usual. Can't lie I was rooting for Fiorentina after seeing that outrageous incident. West Ham should be banned from allowing fans to attend European games for at least a year after that.

Congratulations nonetheless. Not the West Ham players fault they have a larger number of Neanderthals than your average football club.

Shame the fans didn't cover themselves in glory as per usual. Can't lie I was rooting for Fiorentina after seeing that outrageous incident. West Ham should be banned from allowing fans to attend European games for at least a year after that.

Congratulations nonetheless. Not the West Ham players fault they have a larger number of Neanderthals than your average football club.
I have no idea why some of the fans still act like they are in the 70's or 80's. As a whole football violence seems on the increase and general stupidity. Players hit with objects in the FA cup final, the idiot with the shirt. Most fans i know just think these people are absolute tools.

Yeah the majority of West Ham fans aren't like that. What I would say, though, and I've been to enough games where West Ham having been playing to know, that their hardcore away support are generally awful. We're not talking a few bad apples either. If you have, say, 5 thousand West Ham away fans I can guarantee you around half are despicable. Always with anti semitic/racist stuff and then stuff like assaulting players and what not.

Yeah the majority of West Ham fans aren't like that. What I would say, though, and I've been to enough games where West Ham having been playing to know, that their hardcore away support are generally awful. We're not talking a few bad apples either. If you have, say, 5 thousand West Ham away fans I can guarantee you around half are despicable. Always with anti semitic/racist stuff and then stuff like assaulting players and what not.
Aren't away fans typically the issue with football? Just really know from podcasts but it seems the set that always want to go to each match are over-aggressive towards the players and opposing fans.

Aren't away fans typically the issue with football? Just really know from podcasts but it seems the set that always want to go to each match are over-aggressive towards the players and opposing fans.
Away fans are typically the most hardcore but like with most things there's levels.

Lukaku really should have buried his chance and also got in the way of another. What a donkey. He had a poor World Cup as well, although just returned from injury.

Latest posts