• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

For Beginners - Exciting/Thrilling games to watch online

outdoorfan

Academy Player
Country Flag
Germany
Hey there,

I'm from Germany and had no prior contact to rugby. However for the last few month I saw our universityteam practicing while walking to my own sport-practice and I found it quite fascinating to watch, so I decided to check it out. I already found some helpful videos in this forum about the rules and now I wanted to watch some games. The problem is that I don't own a TV and there is no bar nearby that shows rugby matches. So I wanted to ask, if someone has any tips for matches that are interesting to watch or legendary and available online (e.g. on youtube-like plattforms).
Since I have no clue about rugbdy (yet), I have no preference regarding teams or nations. I'm just looking for some good sport matches :)

I'm looking foward to your answers.
Kind regards
outdoorfan

P.S.: If this post is misplaced or in any way inappropriate please let me now. No spam or insult intended.

Last edited:
Watch the Japan V South Africa game that was played today will prob have a full game on YouTube soon (I hope).

Try England vs France in the 2015 6 nations. Thrilling game which you may enjoy (although bear in mind when watching that not all games have that many tries!) Plus the SA/Japan game today as Tigs mentioned.

France vs New Zealand - WC 1999
Argentina vs Ireland - WC 1999
Australia vs New Zealand - WC 2003
Australia vs South Africa - WC 2011

I'd suggest watching a few of England's games in the 2003 RWC and the All Blacks games in the 1995 RWC. Whilst the ABs didn't win that year (they got 2nd) they played some fantastic running rugby - in contrast England also played some fantastic rugby, but it was forwards dominated (they won that year). The point would be to see two contrasting styles, both generally winning ones if executed well. You should notice quite a difference and learn a lot about the game of Rugby as a result.

For exciting/historical games, whilst I haven't seen it in full yet, you cant go past the one everyone is talking about - last nights Japan SA game.

Also one of my all time favourite game is the All Blacks 2005 victory over the Lions (second test). Dan Carter, our first five (playmaker) played arguably the most complete and perfect game in that position the world has seen. Check that game out if you get the chance.

Chiefs vs Highlanders in 2014 I think it was is well worth a look..... Oh and most highlanders games this year the quarter, semi and finals ; )

Highlanders vs Sharks in 14/15 are both great games imo.... Sharks fans might not like that though.

And yeah Carter in 2005 vs lions was THE masterclass of first five running play.

Thanks alot! Thats plenty to begin with. I also found a way to watch the world cup online on german television and enjoyed New Zealands match against Argentina, although I was still clueless about what's going on in some situations....but I'm getting there.

Thanks again for your tips. I'll surely work my way through them in the next days :)

I too am a 'beginner'. I hope the OP doesn't mind me piggy backing on his post but maybe we can learn the game faster.

I'd like to know what league(s) & teams are best to follow. I'm sure that everyone has their opinion and I'd like to hear them.

Last edited:
I too am a 'beginner'. I hope the OP doesn't mind me piggy backing on his post but maybe we can learn the game faster.

I'd like to know what league(s) & teams are best to follow. I'm sure that everyone has their opinion and I'd like to hear them.

It depends. Super rugby is the main southern hemisphere competition, comprising teams from South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and (new this year) Japan and Argentina. You tend to get faster flowing, more high scoring rugby. Its generally played February to July.

The Northern Hemisphere competitions usually run from late August/early September to early June. There are 3 main league, Aviva Premiership (English teams), Top 14 (French teams), Pro 12 (Irish, Welsh, Italian, Scottish teams). Northern Hemisphere leagues tend to be more forwards dominated and less open, especially the Top 14 which is very attritional. Then there's the European Champions Cup, comprising the 6 or 7 best teams from each of those leagues which runs along at the same time as the domestic leagues. Toulon (french team) have dominated for the past few years.

Because I'm biased I recommend the Aviva Premiership, as it has a great mix of styles from Bath (free flowing, attacking rugby) to Leicester (more pack dominated style). Super rugby is also great to watch too.

Style-wise, I prefer Super Rugby for the reasons chippie mentioned, but atmosphere-wise, I clearly like European rugby better.

I was hoping I'm not alone here ;)
Thanks for the tips about the different leagues and the links. I will try to check some of them out, when the world cup is over (and I'm through the matches I got recomended here)

About Super Rugby: What kind of teams play there? There are not national teams, right? But are they located in a certain city?

Thanks again

Thanks for the tips about the different leagues and the links. I will try to check some of them out, when the world cup is over (and I'm through the matches I got recomended here)

About Super Rugby: What kind of teams play there? There are not national teams, right? But are they located in a certain city?

Thanks again

The Super Rugby teams are franchises, so they represent a certain region of a country, e.g. the Reds, an Australian team, represent Queensland.

Thanks again

I'm also going to try and follow this league. (Super VX) http://www.superxv.com/

And keep an eye on Aviva Premiership League http://www.premiershiprugby.com/home.php#dgEXiG6dwY35ctij.97

Last edited:
France - New Zealand 1999. The greatest world cup game ever, available full on youtube.

Latest posts