• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Foreigners captaining national teams

Again Cruz your wrong a player can play underage in tournaments then swap in soccer. There's 100s of examples in Europe. So again FIFA are as bad. In rugby you can't switch as easy look at Paul Warwick, Isa Nacewa and few others.

Also in soccer if I wanted to play in Country X and they wantes me. And I lived there the amount of time requred. I can play.

If you look at countries like Qatar etc they've few Brazilians and that.
Admittedly rugby exploits it a small bit more and it's set at 3 years across world as opposed to FIFA putting each individual country selcting length

Last edited:
Again Cruz your wrong a player can play underage in tournaments then swap in soccer. There's 100s of examples in Europe. So again FIFA are as bad. In rugby you can't switch as easy look at Paul Warwick, Isa Nacewa and few others.

Also in soccer if I wanted to play in Country X and they wantes me. And I lived there the amount of time requred. I can play.

If you look at countries like Qatar etc they've few Brazilians and that.
Admittedly rugby exploits it a small bit more and it's set at 3 years across world as opposed to FIFA putting each individual country selcting length

Soccer requires citizenship of either the player or two generations above. Some countries just give citizenship away though.

Cruz the fact that we have any examples means you are wrong. You are stating an absolute so one counter example voids it.

Soccer requires citizenship of either the player or two generations above. Some countries just give citizenship away though.

Cruz the fact that we have any examples means you are wrong. You are stating an absolute so one counter example voids it.

That's my point each country is different. But point being soccer isn't what Cruz is making out.

No. I am, precisely, not stating an absolute. That is what "in the vast majority" of cases stands for: not an absolute.

And again, i was the only one in this thread that provided actual fifa statutes to support my point.
At best, neither of us understand how the rules work.

No. I am, precisely, not stating an absolute. That is what "in the vast majority" of cases stands for: not an absolute.

And again, i was the only one in this thread that provided actual fifa statutes to support my point.
At best, neither of us understand how the rules work.

you provided the statute but you don't understand it

"A" international only means senior international matches in competitions

you provided the statute but you don't understand it

"A" international only means senior international matches in competitions
First, source please. You keep making statements but staunchly refuse to back them up with sources.

Second, even if that were the case, that would make it changing teams still more difficult, way more difficult, in football than in rugby, which is the point.

Last edited:
Didn't Johnno go out to New Zealand as a learning experience for a few years from age 18 or so? It'd just be fallacy to claim he was a New Zealander.

Tigs will know the exact detail I'm sure.

Roughly the size of it. He's as much a Kiwi as my left testicle with a silver fern drawn on it.

Things could have been very different though. He was picked with the understanding that he was putting down roots in NZ and would stick around, which I'm fairly sure was a sincere belief at the time. Then he picks up shoulder trouble and goes home for a bit, fully intending to go back, except he plays a bit for Tigers when in England and all of a sudden everything goes very fast for him here. Been a while since I've read his autobiography but pretty sure that's how its described there. If his shoulder hadn't kept sub-luxing, he'd have probably been an All Black.

First, source please. You keep making statements but staunchly refuse to back them up with sources.

Second, even if that were the case, that would make it changing teams still more difficult, way more difficult, in football than in rugby, which is the point.

from FIFA Regulations: Governing International Matches
International "A" Match: a match for which both Members field their first
Representative Team ("A" Representative Team).

singular their, not one of their, or their at this particular age group... their, as in they have one

additionally FIFA has a gender verficiation policy so that men and women have seperate competititons
no, cause in football they have one team that ties to a country instead of rugby which has two

and please don't give me any this "source plz" bull****

you haven't used a source correctly this entire thread... you quoted a statute form fifa about eligibility about "A" international level games which i'm sure had something to do with your point at the time
but issue became what represents an "A" international and all you kept on doing was saying "look i posted about these things" but what you posted didn't provide a definition so it had jack all to do with the discussion about what constitutes an "A" level international

we are quickly approaching "what are electrolytes?" "It's what plants need" territory

if you posted while i was editing this post i really don't care if it screwed with the chronological order of the thread

Last edited:
and please don't give me any this "source plz" bull****
How dare i ask for a source, indeed. The nerve.

But fair is fair, part of what i wrote was incorrect, wrong, so i stand corrected. In fact, thank you.

Having said that, i'll repeat myself beacuase you either did not read or you did not understand

"even if that were the case, that would make it changing teams still more difficult, way more difficult, in football than in rugby, which is the point."

if you posted while i was editing this post i really don't care if it screwed with the chronological order of the thread
You're paranoia is through the roof, seriously.

How dare i ask for a source, indeed. The nerve.

But fair is fair, part of what i wrote was incorrect, wrong, so i stand corrected. In fact, thank you.

Having said that, i'll repeat myself beacuase you either did not read or you did not understand

"even if that were the case, that would make it changing teams still more difficult, way more difficult, in football than in rugby, which is the point."

You're paranoia is through the roof, seriously.

it makes it easier to switch in football... if you play a friendly for the senior or the next national team (http://www.worldrugby.org/regulations/next-senior-representative-team) you cannot switch countries

in football, you have to play in a competition for the senior national in order for you to be tied to that country

it's not paranoia, it's utter dismay for how complicated this was

Latest posts