Your Lions Squad Based on this Season?

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by big ginger 8, Mar 20, 2020.

1. FrankfurtRugbyWatcher4

FrankfurtRugbyWatcher4 Academy Player

Aki, less the figure for his age. Just the strong perception of an "good old" war horse. Which has been "in the wars." Not in a lookout role. But as a battering ram.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. big ginger 8

big ginger 8 International

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Aki just turned 30 I don't know why his age would factor in at all. He's not a running back.

4. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Surely weren't not talking about Aki here?

5. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Aki and Manu will almost certainly be the 12 options won't they? 4 years ago Henshaw couldn't get a look in ahead of Ben Te'o, the harder you can run and the less nuanced your game is is Gats' wet dream for a 12. Add in Aki's pair of double ds for hands and Gats might just make him captain.

But yeah, if Henshaw and Ringrose were ever fit at the same time, an occurrence as rare as Halley's comet, Aki doesn't make an Ireland 23 and should not be a Lion.

6. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Aye its only a joke, I've never been a fan of Aki but he'll likely tour, especially with how little time there is for anyone else to really put their hands up

Gats loves guys who'll seek contact and have average at best hands. Aki is the Irish Parkes.
    12. Parkes
    13. Aki

Let's gooooooooo

• Like Like x 3
  7. FrankfurtRugbyWatcher4

That's precisely what I meant. (It was a climbdown.)

8. Saint Matt

Saint Matt Academy Player

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Northampton

I always think it’s almost impossible for us to have an accurate view on who a captain should be. So much of being a captain is about communication and how they interact with players off the field, how they make players feel, so many of the things go into being a good captain are things that we just aren’t exposed to.

History suggests that AWJ has proven to be a good captain for Wales, you don’t captain that many tests if you’re not. I think he’d be first choice because of that and, equally, because of the position he plays. He’s been there and done it so many times, he’s a safe bet, he’s someone who Gatland knows and trusts. Ultimately, I think he’ll be the tour captain, I’d be shocked if he wasn’t. Whether he’ll be in the test team, we’ll have to wait and see.

Equally the way England and Saracens players speak about Farrell and his influence off the pitch, how he inspires and brings people together, also make me really confident in that regard that he’d be a good captain for the Lions if needed. I was at Twickenham for the Wales test, pretty low down in the stand. It was clear watching him that he improved the England performance through his talk and communication alone, intensity wise and in terms of rugby IQ he’s world class. He didn’t stop talking all game and raised the standards around him because of that. He’s captained teams to wins against NZ, Australia and SA in the past. He never takes a backwards step and particularly in South Africa, I think that’s important too.

Itoje I have no idea about to be fair. With Farrell captaining England and Brad/Farrell captaining Saracens, I think it would be a brave call. I think AWJ’s experience and Farrell’s character off the field would potentially make them better options but I’m only guessing there.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  9. Hopra03

Hopra03 Academy Player

I agree with you

10. FrankfurtRugbyWatcher4

“excluded, with regret, AWJ, Faletau, POM, Marler, Healey, Owens, and Aki”

Forgot the player's player of the 2017 tour – Foxy.

He is about pace. How he ran down Laumape after his intercept. But pace fades away with age. Jonathan Davies is a great player. But he is not like BOD who could compensate that loss with his unique other powers.

Maybe the regret is not that necessary however. Due to improved player longevity as one minor good thing about the pandemic (see above.)

11. FrankfurtRugbyWatcher4

True resilience:

Maro Itoje. Warren Gatland himself said it.
    Dropped some hints but then named his name.

Other takeaways from what he was quoted as saying on Rugby365 the other day, elaborated by Ian MacGeechan: Kruis is in the mix as well, therefore competition at lock would be high. Including Lawes.
    Few other players could be regarded as sure starters. That counted against AWJ, if available at all. But in favour of Owen Farrell.

Ian's front runners at lock are Ryan and Itoje with the latter being his preferred captain.
    Gee, can't afford to take the eye of the newswires for a couple of days.

12. Blachernaecastle

Blachernaecastle Academy Player

This thread is quite a read. Very fruitful discussion.

One thing prompted me to go beyond reading: Being introduced to Ryan Baird. Page 6 (by “big ginger 8.” With picture.)

I realised that he actually could make the squad.

Renowed experts like Ian McGeechan, Mick Cleary and six more each picked their squad in the Telegraph Sport a couple of weeks ago. I read their positions-by-position rationales only now. A catch-up job. And two of them independently stated that he could well tour. They had him as their “bolter.”

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!
-->