• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Four in frame for Lions captaincy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Mar 29 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 29 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 29 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Mar 27 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont think Ryan Jones will be considered for Captaincy, he wouldnt make most peoples starting XV (including mine). I think BOD will get the nod, just because of his form this year alone.

I also have a funny feeling more English players will tour than most people think...[/b]

That's always the case.

England could finish last and not score a single point and they'd still get players in.
[/b][/quote]
But they finished 2nd so they will have players in. Will Wales who struggled to score tries in this 6n have many players in. If so they will be picking on last years form.
[/b][/quote]

Netherthless, Wales SHOULD have more players in because they have some of the best players in the respective positions. Unless you are trying to tell me that England are a better team than Wales. :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]
Based on this years 6nations yes England are now the better team.

[/b][/quote]

Not really Wales beat England simple therefore Wales were better than England ... not hard really.
[/b][/quote]
The final table tells the full story not just one result....not hard really?

yeah danny o'driscoll really f***ed up by getting speared in the first 2 minutes terrible leadership

he really should have put the teams' interests first before such downright selfish behaviour. :p cost Sir Clive another knighthood

O'Driscoll should be captain. He's the X in Ireland's formula, so why change it to O'Connell?

As for the Six Nations table... England beat Italy who had a flanker at nine and won against one of the worst French performances in the pro era. Wales however lost narrowly to Ireland to a rampant France. And we won the Grand Slam last year. And we were the only NH side to compete properly in the Autumn. Thus last year's form is quite relevant, even if this year wasn't as good. I'll concede that something's not working and needs to be changed, but give me a break...

Most of the players should be Irish and Welsh, and then English, since Scotland will have few touring.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My captain would be O`Connell as O`Driscoll has already failed as Lions captain.[/b]

I dont mind trolling, and if it had an element of whit I'd even offer a chuckle, but thats just another stupid comment to add to your growing list of stupid comments.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Mar 29 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont think Ryan Jones will be considered for Captaincy, he wouldnt make most peoples starting XV (including mine). I think BOD will get the nod, just because of his form this year alone.

I also have a funny feeling more English players will tour than most people think...[/b]

That's always the case.

England could finish last and not score a single point and they'd still get players in.
[/b][/quote]
But they finished 2nd so they will have players in. Will Wales who struggled to score tries in this 6n have many players in. If so they will be picking on last years form.
[/b][/quote]

Netherthless, Wales SHOULD have more players in because they have some of the best players in the respective positions. Unless you are trying to tell me that England are a better team than Wales. :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Not really Wales beat England simple therefore Wales were better than England ... not hard really.
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

The table means **** all and you know it.

If there was a 6 way tie for the championship and England came 6th you wouldn't be calling teams like Italy better than England so please.

A misplaced pass and slightly short kick cost us a grand slam for goodness sake. You finished above us on points difference - which you got to from beating a woeful Italy without a scrum half and one of the worst France performances I've seen in my entire life.

The fact is that Wales should make up a large proportion of this Lions team along with Ireland. England will/or at least should have less.

Not hard really.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

That's always the case.

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
My captain would be O`Connell as O`Driscoll has already failed as Lions captain.
[/b][/quote]

o driscol captained for thee minutes of a lions series and 2 and a half of those he was laying on the pitch injured. so you can hardly call him a loosing lions captain.

read about rugby before you comment... the crux of that tours failure was its leadership in woodward

england were joint second with wales and france.

THE FOUR POSSIBLE CAPTAINS are:

Paul O'Connell

Brian O'Driscol

Ryan Jones

AW Jones

1 test match only rules out Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones' decision making at key moments also rules him out and I'm like a stuck record with my reasoning for O'Driscoll so let's just leave it at that.

A W Jones isn't in frame for captaincy...dinnae get carried away, it's thinking like this that made us all hate Jonny Wilkinson.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Mar 29 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
it's thinking like this that made us all hate Jonny Wilkinson.[/b]
Jesus I forgot about that. Can we have another "I hate Wilko because ....... " thread?

who is jonny wilkinson ? he isnt even on wikipedia anymore apparently due to injury.

my suggestion of Alun Wyn Jones as a candidate is because he shows the potential. Geechs likes big forwards as captains, it is one of his eccentricities

AWJ has proved a great skipper at regional and youth level, and is an incredibly intelligent player, and he is the type of player who steps up fantastically well to any challenge set before him

there was a rumour out of certain circles that should he have been fit geechs would have considered tom rees as a candidate ...!

my personal choice is paul o'connell

a fantastic player and a definate for his position..

i would personally be reluctant to award o'driscoll the captaincy as i have read that although many players respect O'driscol as a player, they find him very difficult to get along with as a person and as a competitor. Particularly players who have toured with him in the 2001 lions.

in a situation where everyone has to gel together quickly and work towards a massive common goal, (beating a very talented group of bokkies) that is not the kind of leader you want. you need a guy who will drag everyone together as a unit a carry them into a series win, even if we are having a poor tour.

Think danny needs to go straight back into that stray jacket before coming out with such filth!

O'Driscoll a failure after less than 2 mins on the pitch oh please next thing you will be telling me that pigs fly and Jonny Wilkinson has been injury free and its all a conspiracy theory that hes injured <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Mar 29 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's always the case.

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

England were handed two big wins on a plate - a woefull Italy with a flanker at scrum half, who pretty much gave away at least 3 or 4 tries by being in the wrong position, and a terrible France, who I'm almost certain were still feeling the effects of a intense encounter with Wales, as well as a few intense club games.
If the Lions is filled with English players who aren't the best in their position, like in 2005, then we'll see yet another Whitewash. Ireland and Wales will equally supply the majority of the squad imo, with the better English and Scottish players too. not hard really...?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Mar 30 2009, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the Lions is filled with English players who aren't the best in their position, like in 2005, then we'll see yet another Whitewash. Ireland and Wales will equally supply the majority of the squad imo, with the better English and Scottish players too. not hard really...?
[/b]

i think this is not just a welsh point of view, i know that the scottish and irish agree too.

my opinion over englands win against france was that the ref, stuart dickenson,let his decisions run with the team in ascendence, and not with what was infront of him.

hense the scoring pattern that didnt reflect the pressure put on a french defense.

and the appearance of a french team "not turning up" ?

Anyone without England shaped blinkers on can see that Wales are a better side than England and have more quality and consistency in more positions. I think a few England lads will tour though and rightly so; Armitage has earned a spot with a strong 6N, Flutey will probably go, I think Croft, Worsley, Ellis probably, Cueto, few more which I cant be arsed to think of now.

Back on topic, Oconnel is the only real candidate for me. BoD's a great skipper but their style of motivating is very different and i think OConnell's approach is more suitable to the Lions. Besides that i've always preferred skippers to be in the engine room instead of out wide, which I think is particularly important in such a hostile environment as a Lions test match. I think it's more important for BoD (maybe not from his point of view, but whatever) to be able to focus on his game instead of worrying about the captaincy and the ghosts of 4 years ago.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bumbadum @ Mar 30 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think it's more important for BoD (maybe not from his point of view, but whatever) to be able to focus on his game instead of worrying about the captaincy[/b]

Didnt people say the exact same thing before this years 6 nations?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 30 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bumbadum @ Mar 30 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's more important for BoD (maybe not from his point of view, but whatever) to be able to focus on his game instead of worrying about the captaincy[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Yeah they did, and it turned out to be a crock of **** so I probably shouldnt have added that. But the reasons to choose PoC are still more compelling than to choose BoD for me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 30 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bumbadum @ Mar 30 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

indeed all the time forgetting that captaincy certainly at international level seems to sharpen his game.

Latest posts