• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Four in frame for Lions captaincy

A few random thoughts from the middle of a night shift:

1. Alun Wyn-jones has been touted as haveingall the neccessary abilities for a great captain, but only has one test match at captain. I suspect O'Connells experience would edge him ahead in the running but remember johnson wasn't even Tigers' captain when he led the Lions.

2. Ryan Jones. A good player, a good leader, but not shown to be a great leader when the going gets tough. Makes some daft calls to not take points. Not a guaranteed test starter, but could start if he has a good tour. not going to be captain.

3. BOD. Great player. Best centre in the NH by a huge distance when on form and still edges most others when not on form. To me he seems to inspire by his own brilliance. When the going get really tough, he sometimes seems to have to provide the edge himself (which is good when it works) but if he's not making the winning plays, he doesn't always seem to be able to galvnise the rest of the team into gaining that extra edge elsewhere.

4. POC will be the centre of the pack, and will be up against the Springbok's stongest assets. If he goes toe to toe with them here then a big battle is already won. I think he will be able to gel the pack and team well around him.

I would go for POC. I don't think BOD will bring anything to the captaincy that POC won't, aside from his own brilliance as a centre. He will bring this as a player anyway. He will inspire anyway (similar to Keith Wood for the Lions).

As to who will actually get the nod, it's down to Geech, Edwards and Gatland. Geech like a hard nosed forward which may give POC the nod, but i suspect alot will be down to the coaches own impressions of the candidates, their peronalities and how they come across in person, especially in training. So all the stuff i don't know alot about.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Apr 2 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think O`Callaghan is a decent player but nothing else. He wins his fair share of line-out, works hard but just comes up short in the presence stakes. If he was a great athelete then It wouldnt matter but he tries to be an enforcer type without the bite. This isnt saying he is a crap 2nd row cos he aint, he just lacks the real edge to make him a top no 4(by Lions standards).[/b]
Sums it up, judging by the highest standard.

I'd give him a shot with the Lions, because they're going to need fire and he has plenty of that. And players should grow in confidence and ability after a historic win, so he may end up with POC for the tests. Mind you, on that basis the entire Irish squad should be travelling!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Apr 2 2009, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Apr 2 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think O`Callaghan is a decent player but nothing else. He wins his fair share of line-out, works hard but just comes up short in the presence stakes. If he was a great athelete then It wouldnt matter but he tries to be an enforcer type without the bite. This isnt saying he is a crap 2nd row cos he aint, he just lacks the real edge to make him a top no 4(by Lions standards).[/b]
Sums it up, judging by the highest standard.

I'd give him a shot with the Lions, because they're going to need fire and he has plenty of that. And players should grow in confidence and ability after a historic win, so he may end up with POC for the tests. Mind you, on that basis the entire Irish squad should be travelling!
[/b][/quote]

someone made a very good point that i ridiculously and now foolishly admit to have not thought about at all, and that is the fact that the Irish, who's line out has been the envy of the world, especially us Welsh, does have something magic happening. It would be foolish to not take the two line out jumpers from the best line out in the NH.

Therefor, i now think Donkey O'Callaghan should go, probably at the expense of either Kennedy or Hines.

I still think Donker gives away a lot of penalties can be a liability and is not the most intelligent player ive ever seen but thee is a strong possibility that he and POC may prove to be the combo we need to bust some safar line out butt

But i still think my choice test starters would be Alun Wyn and POC.

Sorry for being so obstinate, but i hope you respect that i am gracious in saying i was wrong, and except my apologese because i probably ****** you off.

O'Connell and Wyn-Jones will probably start as both have been outstanding this season and would probably give the edge there ahead of either O'Callaghan / Kennedy. However I do think Simon Shaw has thrown his hat into the mix in the last few games for England. The bloke has been on a successful Lions tour down under and could bring the much added experience the Lions might need. Shaw may give a way penalites but gets round the park, rucks and wins his fair share of lineout.

I'm not sure that Wyn Jones is a definite given what Telfer said previously about O'Callaghan so I still wouldn't rule out that possibility. Wyn Jones may captain the midweek side if McGeechan's gonna be consistent.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 3 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm not sure that Wyn Jones is a definite given what Telfer said previously about O'Callaghan so I still wouldn't rule out that possibility. Wyn Jones may captain the midweek side if McGeechan's gonna be consistent.[/b]
What did Telfer say,,, can you post a link...?

he is very old now and obviously slightly insane to think that AWJ would not be starting... we are trying to win this series...!

Good interview with O'Connell in th Times last week.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rug...icle5992845.ece

Thought this one was funny alright.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
At Young Munster, he had to prove himself. “It’s not just about showing you have the skills at Munsters, you’ve got to show how hard you are. In the early years, I had a terrible disciplinary record because I was too eager to prove myself. One day we were playing Dungannon and early in the match, this guy was on our side of the ruck and I gave him a shoeing.

“We were then in a huddle and the Claw (Irish international Peter Clohessy) was kind of laughing at me, ‘Paulie, nice one there, you got him a beaut.’ For me, Claw was a god and after he said that, I was so happy I didn’t touch the ball for 10 minutes, just ran round looking for someone else to shoe. It lasted 10 minutes because I then got the bin. All part of the learning process but it prepared me.â€[/b]

And he puts the Gatland comments to bed too

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The Welsh coach had stoked Celtic flames before the game when suggesting the Irish team was the one most disliked by the Welsh. “That comment didn’t bother me,†says O’Connell. “I played with a number of the Welsh lads on the 2005 Lions, got on great with the likes of Gethin Jenkins, Martyn Williams and Dwayne Peel who are absolute gents.

“On the day before the game Warren then said that maybe he’d gone too far and would have been better off taking a leaf out of Deccie’s book: give some clichés and say nothing. I thought he should have left Declan out of it. There was no need for that. That was my gripe and I decided not to let it pass. If we won, I was going to have a go even though it mightn’t help me with the Lions.â€

Is there now a problem between a key member of the Lions coaching team and a player who will almost certainly be at the heart of the squad? “Not at all,†he says. “I know from Axle Foley what a great coach and good bloke Warren is. Axle thinks the world of the guy and that’s good enough for me. Since the match, I’ve spoken to Warren on the phone. He doesn’t have a problem about it and neither do I. We talked for a good while and I told him, if selcted, I’m really looked forward to working with him.â€[/b]

Ah, the Claw.

Remember when men were men, and psychopaths gambolled across the pitch slaughtering backrow forwards?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Apr 3 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ah, the Claw.

Remember when men were men, and psychopaths gambolled across the pitch slaughtering backrow forwards?[/b]

I still maintain Merle's head got in the way of his boot though!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 3 2009, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Apr 3 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, the Claw.

Remember when men were men, and psychopaths gambolled across the pitch slaughtering backrow forwards?[/b]

I still maintain Merle's head got in the way of his boot though!
[/b][/quote]

Hey Taurus

Still no link to your statement from jim telfer ?

love the claw, him and popperwell were my prop friends rugby heros

great rugby players and great irishmen

well yeah I obviously made that one up as well, you must have trust issues.

Here's the quote though for your insecure side, "I know he likes O'Callaghan because he's a workhorse, he's told me, the same way he liked Lewis Moody in 2005 -- because of his work ethic."

Irish Independent March 26 2009.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 3 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Still no link to your statement from jim telfer ?[/b]

Heres a link for you www.google.com. It took me about 4 seconds to find the article with two fairly obvious keywords (Telfer O'Callaghan).

Welcome to the internet

But considering its not a bad read i'll make it easy:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-...er-1686510.html

Prestwick says:

14.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 4 2009, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 3 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heres a link for you www.google.com. It took me about 4 seconds to find the article with two fairly obvious keywords.

Welcome to the internet

[/b][/quote]

yeah I didn't want to make it that easy!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 4 2009, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 4 2009, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 3 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heres a link for you www.google.com. It took me about 4 seconds to find the article with two fairly obvious keywords.

Welcome to the internet

[/b][/quote]

yeah I didn't want to make it that easy!
[/b][/quote]

more likely because you précis the article for a one line *** bit, hardly the crux of the interview at best.

a good and interesting article from a successful lions coach and player. and a trusted McGeechan confidant... why you wouldn't post the link is your own wierd mystery, "yeah I didn't want to make it that easy!" (hmmm few phrases come to mind to sum up my opinion of you but ill remain silent)

more amusing is the point that he finds a similarity between Donker and Moody. I think that is a harsh comparison for poor donker, i have always regarded Lewis moody as a bit of a nutter and liable to give away more points than he gains for your team. though telfer, an expert on really hard men, agrees they are both tough competitors for an opposition to deal with.

Donkers greatest asset to a lions place is his partnership experience with O'connell

after the weeks massive disappointment about Gavin Henson, lets just hope they all remain fit so they may contest for places instead of us needing to make do...!

though whos to say there won't be a surprise or two thrown into the mix

im putting a tenner or cipriani or hook as the test ten!

Prestwick says:

279.gif

This is just Mite playing around yeah? It has to be!

I refuse to believe any human being can be this annoying by accident.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 4 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This is just Mite playing around yeah? It has to be!

I refuse to believe any human being can be this annoying by accident.[/b]
Mite is also Danny. Unbelievable!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 5 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Apr 5 2009, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But then who is Mite? Pretwick?[/b]
Hmmm could explain his recent mellowing and increased use of images.

Curiouser and curiouser.

[/b][/quote]

That was me retrospectively editing his posts to put images in, especially in his explicit refusal to get out of bed and USE GOOGLE!!!

Latest posts