• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France - Argentina

Congratulations to Argentina, but wow, what a poor start to the world cup.

The defence was top notch but creativity and flair was... well simply not there. The Referee struggled the entire match, and really should have been stricter at the breakdown (and god forbid, given even more penalties).

I think I have been spoilt by watching a competition under the Stellenbosch Laws for the passed four weeks because I really found the game slow going and boring. Hopefully it was just a one off and doesn;t set the pace for the rest of the tournament.

I never understand France, one moment they're fantastic, and on the brink of conquering the world, then they flop. My predicted score was 29 - 15 to France before the match, because I thought the French, who looked to combfortable against England and Wales in the warm ups, would have way too much class for them. But they panicked, and Argentina picked up on this, and made France suffer. Argentina are my joint second team with Italy (First being Wales) for my support of this RWC. Not only because of today, it's because I've always thought they were awesome, and when they sniff a victory, they push and push you.
If both France and Argentina beat Ireland (not saying they will - just giving one view on the possibilities) France will come second, and have to travel to Cardiff to face the All Blacks. And the fact that the France are some of the most dramatic buggers I;ve ever come across, they might just beat them!

Oh yeah, what the hell happened to Spreadsbury? He's usually an awesome ref, but he had a crap game today!

Well done Argentina, and come on Los Pumas!

Very poor standard of play by both teams. Especially France who some pundits have been talking up. So many unforced errors and neither backline constructed anything. Pretty much anything exciting happened off a turnover. 7 and 15 for France were woeful. I hope France top this pool still. It maintains more interest in the Tournament when the locals are still involved. The fact that they may play a QF of their own countries tournament in Wales in laughable. I bet the French powerbrokers just assumed they'd win the pool and get an easy QF at home to Scotland or Italy. The Pumas have turned that on its head. To be honest though on tonights performance they'll be happy to even make the QF's.

still france v nz in cardiff will be a good one i wouldnt be surprised if the ABs exited there, the french have been embrassed they wont let it happen again, this si their world cup

OK. It was an awesome defensive display from Pumas. It was also a major upset dor the french, by playeres resised in their great rugby. I think France will go on and reach the quater finals, beating Ireland. I read Phillipe Sella saying that Pumas make great opponents play badly. That´s true and it a merit of Argentina. Their will to tackle its huge. Their strategy was sharply executed. Some great individual performances too (Leguizamom, Alvarez, Corleto, Hernandez, Contepomi brothers)

Regarding some discussions with some welsh and USA members about the level of Argentina and what Pumas are capable of, I hope this ends their weak arguments . If not there are 3 more pool matches and palyoffs to go on with their nonsense. Save the embarrasement

Also the IRB. I mean what´s he point? Is it good for France and Ireland now? I´ll wait for Wales to play, but anyway, what´s the criteria?? see the scottish or italians or James Hook in quarter finals rather than Ireland or France, or Pumas.?? ... Please...

Corleto has turned in to a genius. Contepomi is brilliant and rubbish. And why put Hernandez at 10 if he's only going to kick high balls? Let him run from deep at 15, and put Conti at 10 to risk some magic with the backline.

Great win for Argentina, but their core strength in the scrum was destroyed and their lineout is poor. They won't make it out of the group unless they restore the scrum and create tries off quick ball.

That's why we call it the group of death - in the first minute you're laughing, but in the final minute ... you're dead.

The only way they don't make it out of the group is if Ireland lose to France - And you were harping on a couple of hours ago how the Irish team who hasn't beaten the Frogs in 4 and a half years is going to outsmart them both.

All in all a pretty disappointing start to the Cup. Neither team really played well at all. So much for Bernard Laporte bringing some composure to the French side. They turned over a ridiculous amount of ball and their backline had no venom whatsoever. Not to mention the fact that their phase ball was far too slow. Rougerie (sp?) played fairly well but the rest of the backs were static, predictable and boring. What happened to that French flair? Argentina weren't all that great either. Their backline was pretty limp as well and they only managed to get up in this match because the French self-destructed. Despite all this I'm still predicting that the French will get their act together and beat Ireland and Ireland will beat Argentina, meaning that bonus points will most likely decide who goes through and who doesn't.

The only way they don't make it out of the group is if Ireland lose to France - And you were harping on a couple of hours ago how the Irish team who hasn't beaten the Frogs in 4 and a half years is going to outsmart them both.

[/b]

Nah - France will find it hard to outsmart Ireland, but they should do it. They have to - it's their home turf. Maybe they'll just blow up in a panic, and the host nation will exit at the pool stage for the first time ever. We'll know the result 20 mins in to the match.

Argentina's failure to stand up in the scrum + their crapiness in the lineout make them a big target for Ireland. Their midfield defence is surprisingly good, but I place my faith in the attack of ROG, BOD and Darcy.

So, if each of the three ranked teams in the group wins a big match, it comes down to bonus points and points difference to see who comes top. Conti let France off the hook tonight with that 77 minute penalty miss. And Arg won't be able to match Ireland or France in tries - so Arg fly back to Buenos Aires with their pride intact but their hopes dashed.

As the catholics in the SH say: Vamos!

And, Ripper - do you ever have a view on what happens on the pitch? Unless it involves McAlister, you seem to have no interest in the play.

I think this sets a very interesting start to the world cup with some new faces possible for the quarter finals like italy and argentina. I think this is what gives the competition value.

The bonus point decide the 2 teams to advance the cuarterfinal, and the game france-ireland was vital.

Corleto has turned in to a genius. Contepomi is brilliant and rubbish. And why put Hernandez at 10 if he's only going to kick high balls? Let him run from deep at 15, and put Conti at 10 to risk some magic with the backline.

Great win for Argentina, but their core strength in the scrum was destroyed and their lineout is poor. They won't make it out of the group unless they restore the scrum and create tries off quick ball.

That's why we call it the group of death - in the first minute you're laughing, but in the final minute ... you're dead.

[/b]
Ireland is crap.

<div class='quotemain'> Corleto has turned in to a genius. Contepomi is brilliant and rubbish. And why put Hernandez at 10 if he's only going to kick high balls? Let him run from deep at 15, and put Conti at 10 to risk some magic with the backline.

[/b]
Ireland is crap.
[/b][/quote]

Inciteful comment, what are you basing this on then, our form pre-world cup, Argentina were cack as well in Cardiff and they turned over the form team coming into the tournament in the opening match.

Corleto has turned in to a genius. Contepomi is brilliant and rubbish. And why put Hernandez at 10 if he's only going to kick high balls? Let him run from deep at 15, and put Conti at 10 to risk some magic with the backline.[/b]

That was CLEARLY the strategy, all the balls to Manuel Contepomi. You know what, it worked out, we beated France again (5 times out of 6).

Great win for Argentina, but their core strength in the scrum was destroyed and their lineout is poor. They won't make it out of the group unless they restore the scrum and create tries off quick ball. [/b]

Not really, scrum wasn't enough at some points of the match like in minute 20 but if you look carefully you will see who was the weak link there (Scelzo), sooner or later, Hasan will be back. That will be a very different scrum against Ireland, you will suffer it. Regarding lineouts it's clearly an issue, I will not deny it, but I will point that when Rimas Alvarez got in the the game we managed to won much more lineouts than before.

That's why we call it the group of death - in the first minute you're laughing, but in the final minute ... you're dead.[/b]

Do you really think that Ireland is going to play more than 4 matches in this RWC? I doubt it very much.

Inciteful comment, what are you basing this on then, our form pre-world cup, Argentina were cack as well in Cardiff and they turned over the form team coming into the tournament in the opening match.[/b]

I think he's wrong, Ireland has a very good team and they will be there fighting for the group. As with these three teams (Argentina, France and Ireland) anything could happen, they could top the group or came back home soon.

But I also think that a post like that is the result of another user constantly insulting Argentina's rugby. And my previous answer is just a proof.

In the end, France pushed to many passes which ended up causing too many mistakes. Frederick Michalak was put on far too late in the game, as well as Chabal.

Argentina capitalised on Frances mistakes very well. However, I still wasn't overly impressed with Los Puma's performance. We'll just have to wait to see how they perform against Ireland.

Also, far too many kicks were missed. There were no overly hard kicks in the game.

I think the bottom line is that if Chabal had played more than 20 minutes, France would have won.

I think the bottom line is that if Chabal had played more than 20 minutes, France would have won.[/b]

Again the funny stuff ... Chabal ate the grass in the match against Argentina, just from the start Felipe Contepomi made him feel what was going to happen. He made just one or two breaks and he was even stopped by Lucas Borges.

Impact %? ZERO or EVEN BELOW.

I can't really understand so much noise about him ... and by the way he replaced Pelous, which was the one that said that Argentina made the good opponents play badly not Philippe Sella.

I didn't think much of Mignoni from the outset and yet we only saw Ellisalde on 72 minutes, some bizarre tactical errors from Laporte and the French more often than not refused to draw the man before the offload thus making it far easier for the Pumas.

Good grief, I cannot believe that some blokes on here are saying that the standard of play was below par. FFS, THIS IS A GODDAMN WORLD CUP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!1

In case anybody forgot, here`s an interesting thought: who were the best team, defensively, in 87? AB`s of course. And in `91? Easy one- Aus. Were the Boks perhaps `95 champions, based on their cutting-edge attacking game? Nah, they simply defended better than anybody else. Same with Aus in `99, and Eng in `03. I do see a trend here- the team that does the basics best, makes all of their tackles, kicks most of their goals and scraps like hell when under pressure, generally comes out on top in the RWC. If you want bucketloads of tries, check out the super 14. If you want the real deal, awesome defense, a battle of wills in the set pieces, and uncompromising toughness, check out the RWC- especially from the QF stage onwards. Where no doubt the Argies deserve to be after this performance.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Corleto has turned in to a genius. Contepomi is brilliant and rubbish. And why put Hernandez at 10 if he's only going to kick high balls? Let him run from deep at 15, and put Conti at 10 to risk some magic with the backline.

[/b]
Ireland is crap.
[/b][/quote]

Inciteful comment, what are you basing this on then, our form pre-world cup, Argentina were cack as well in Cardiff and they turned over the form team coming into the tournament in the opening match.
[/b][/quote]
Just in general.

<div class='quotemain'>I think the bottom line is that if Chabal had played more than 20 minutes, France would have won.[/b]

Again the funny stuff ... Chabal ate the grass in the match against Argentina, just from the start Felipe Contepomi made him feel what was going to happen. He made just one or two breaks and he was even stopped by Lucas Borges.

Impact %? ZERO or EVEN BELOW.

I can't really understand so much noise about him ... and by the way he replaced Pelous, which was the one that said that Argentina made the good opponents play badly not Philippe Sella. [/b][/quote] Spot on there. And I`d like to add this- did anybody see what Chabal did the 1st time he got the ball? With some space available on his outside, he simply put the ball under his arm, and headed straight for the 1st Argie defender he could find. I`m also struggling to see what the big story on Chabal is. Not even in the same league as Leamy or Soi`oalo when it comes to vision, skills or offloading ability.