• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France in NZ newspapers

I admit the booing got pretty old. I was at the USA v Australia game when it was perhaps at its worst, but I think after Australia lost in the semi-final, we should have given it a rest. He's a fantastic talent and he's conducted himself really well while in New Zealand. The crowd all clapped him off in respect when he got injured, which was nice considering. Terrible about his injury. I hope the next time he comes here we lay off. There is no doubt he's learned his lesson and it went a bit mental.

Mark Reason is an idiot. He is the worst kind of twit around, what annoys me most is that he is even published. He just makes offensive and stupid statements to cause controversy with some of his comments erring on the side of racism.

I don't agree that we should stop the booing just because we've now beaten Oz.

That means we were only booing him to put him off, which makes us bad sports. Frankly, I was booing him because he was a tosser, and as far as I can tell he's still a tosser. Perhaps if he's fine next year I'll stop booing him, but whether or not he's injured doesn't make him any less of a jerk.

To use an analogy (yes it's a hyperbole, but that's not the point): You don't stop disliking Hitler just because he died, he was still an awful person, and should still be held in the same regard.

I don't understand your argument. If you think like this, then the whole idea of gambling must be unethical!!!!

Ignorance and arrogance?
The bookmakers deal on a mixture of Results, Form, Statistics and a few other factors. They don't base their decisions on ignorance and arrogance!
If they all were doing that, they would have been broke a long time ago.

They might be rip of artist's but I would never accuse them of being ignorant or arrogant (in a business sense any way haha).

Any knowledgeable Rugby fan knows that France are massive underdogs.

And the point of the last part was? To indicate either I am 'unknowledgable', or that I am just too stupid just to accept that because France are rank outsiders, that is justification enough for widely used betting company to already dosh out more than a million dollars before the match has even started.

Do you even know what I am talking about?!

And the point of the last part was? To indicate either I am 'unknowledgable', or that I am just too stupid just to accept that because France are rank outsiders, that is justification enough for widely used betting company to already dosh out more than a million dollars before the match has even started.

Do you even know what I am talking about?!

From what you have said you seem to think the bookies are ignorant and arrogant paying out early.
That is clearly not the case, in their line of business ignorance and arrogance will make you broke before you even know about it!
Paddy Power will only stand to lose if France win which is unlikely, even if France do win they will cover most of the losses with the extra marketing they have received from paying out early. That makes it win, win for Paddy Power don't you think? Hardly ignorant or arrogant.

I don't know how you can call it an unethical business decision? If you think that is unethical you must think the act of gambling is unethical?

My point "Any knowledgeable Rugby fan knows that France are massive underdogs." well that goes without saying doesn't it?
It was basically backing up my point that it's a low risk business strategy from Paddy Powers point of view. It wasn't targeted at you.

Last edited:
I've gone from being a neutral to wanting the All Blacks to smash France f****in oblivion!

Last edited:
Hi

I don't know about the media but what surprised me was the N.Zealand fans booing the French for anything when they were playing Wales in the semi final. When I watched the 3rd place game between Wales and Australia I was paying attention and no booing occurred against Australia beside for that Aussie player they don't like that hurt his leg and I forgot the name.

The French hate is still very strong in New Zealand

Patrick

Haines

I haven't read the whole thread, got other things to do but I think you and a French fan got into an argument. I for one am French and don't hate England, I root for them any day against NZ, AUS and the Irish.
My best friend's wife is English too, a very nice lady. I live in the USA and have always gotten along fine with the English I have met, I wish I could say the same about the Irish.

Patrick

StJay

I agree with your comment but understand that racism can't be applied from 1 Caucasian nation to another. Racism would be if he was talking about "Ivory coast" or "Japan" which are predominently African or Asians.

Patrick

Fairfax should really look at Greg growden... I think if they read the comments they ll have a fair idea about what people thinks of him....

In the Sydney morning Herald he wrote this --> http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...get-behind-our-neighbours-20111016-1lrqd.html which in my opinion has no respect for the french team. Also he spoke of Lievremont but didnt even check the translation of his press conference. Lievremont was ****** off that the NZ Herald published that "france make final insult", not that he didnt get any credit... He was ****** off that the media make it like we stole our way.

Then in Stuff.co.nz I read another article by.... greg growden... http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/our-experts/5797391/France-have-no-hope-of-beating-All-Blacks
Interresting to note that growden write for the NZ public too. Normal its also a fairfax paper... This article is the worst piece of rugbilistic journalism I have read for a long time. Read the comments Mr Growden and see what people thinks of you....

To my surprise one of his last article give us a small chance of beating the blacks --> http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...-as-les-bleus-clash-looms-20111018-1lysk.html

What is this guy on seriously? Fairfax get rid of him.... It enrages me that he is paid to write his 'opinions'...

I'll reply to my own post for once :) But I cannot wait to read Greg's next article (or BS rambling should I say) :)

I'll finish by thanking all of the kiwis which have showed much respect for the french team both on those boards and on the various news websites I have visited. It really show that the kind of garbage that some paper publish just to feed the troll and sell is not at all in touch with the real world. Even at my local yesterday, I was the only french and everyone was supporting the kiwis except me (and I was easy to spot with a french flag on my cheek), but everyone was really cool with me and some were even gutted for us.