• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France to be "more competitive", finally

>>>>NOT what i said. I said that the success of Toulon as a club and European champion is having a positive effect in french rugby because it is attracting interest for the game of rugby. Thats also true in Toulouse Clermont regions.Im describing what I see here. But you dont live here, how would you know?
So my point is that a club like Toulon can do more as much and more for the development and attractiveness of the game among the general public and kids, than the national side does. Also big clubs are well capable of promoting the game abroad with more impact than the Federation can with the national side.
Look at the success of the game btw Toulouse and Clermont organised in Hong Kong last year. The french team has never played in Asia. There you go.

>>Im glad my posts are bringing some derision into your life. U sound like u need a laugh.

I said money is necessary and yes Pro rugby cant develop without it. The current season structure can evolve and it will. There is talk of a Top12 that would replace the current one. So the system is not stuck where its at. And i never said i was against a reduction of the number of games. where did you read that in my posts? i am all for the proposed Top 12 which would translate effectively into LESS games. I also think it might be imposed byt the economics of the game and the recession in Europe.
A top12 would raise the standards of the league by concentrating it. But this needs to be done to suit the clubs not with the national team as a priority. Your problem is that you want to make changes in french rugby so that the national team becomes competitive again. Thats not going to happen. Clubs look after their own interest. They are not here to develop the national team. French clubs are not structured around serving the national side.Get used to it.

>>who says a Pro sports league has to be an even playing field? where did you get that idea. There is no such thing. In NZ mabye. You need travel. Where did u see any form of equity in soccer or other Pro sport? should the clubs all start the season with the same number of inernationals, same budget, we know the answer to that one. You either want compete or you dont. Some Top 14 clubs with no star and small budget are doing very well like Grenoble. They are not bleating about money, You are the one living in Lalaland.

>>Sorry not true. Many french fans living outside a rugby region support a big club like Toulouse, Toulon Clermont. I know plenty of them. Including many provinciaux living in Paris who hate the 2 Parisian teams. There you go. You stand corrected on that one :))

>>well Mermoz hasnt been setting the world on fire around himself, so he gets to stay on the bench. Thats ok.
OMG they want to win a french ***le and the HCup!? how dare they. they want to win, and thats tragic?! What else are they supposed to do other than win trophies. You are tragic.

1. You say it is attracting interest more than a strong national team. Would it be cruel to point out France does not have a strong national team - and that is perhaps why the club scene is more attractive currently? To say international rugby doesn't have potential to spread the game to other places is farcial considering the international matches played in Hong Kong, Japan and USA within the last few years. Whether or not France has played in those regions does not mean it does not have more potential. I'd wager France vs USA would sell better in the United States than Toulouse vs Toulon.

2. To start with you blamed in an earlier post France playing a three match series against New Zealand as bad for player welfare.

"once per year is enough. The current season structure doesnt allow for more. The summer tours are a mistake, They are scheduled by ill-advised clowns at the expense of player welfare, you dont get it do you"

Now my point which you seemed to miss, perhaps because your head is lodged up your ass - is that the 12 or so international games that are scheduled for almost all tier 1 international teams, asks a lot less from a player than playing in such a long league, so to claim it is "scheduled by ill-advised clowns at the expense of player welfare" is freaking stupid as sh*t, seeing as every other national team can manage it and the reason France struggle is because of the obsurdly long domestic league.

3. A competitive league is fine and I'm not anti-professionlism at all. I don't need all teams to be equal, however a league with such a division of wealth results in uncompetitive boringness. I'm well aware of how other leagues work, I say the Premiership has the same problem but worse, only they have a fanbase which can surivive off an uncompetitive league. I also watch the NBA, NFL, NRL which I believe to have a better division of talent and resources and therefore have a more competitive league. I just think that the more the Top 14 becomes dictated by money, the less appealing product it becomes and more to the point, the indifference showed to the national team over the club team I think will ultimately be worse for rugby in France. Part of it I'll agree is a priorities thing as I'd love to see Les Bleus be able to field a team which hasn't bee so devistated by the interests of the domestic game.

1. You say it is attracting interest more than a strong national team. Would it be cruel to point out France does not have a strong national team - and that is perhaps why the club scene is more attractive currently? To say international rugby doesn't have potential to spread the game to other places is farcial considering the international matches played in Hong Kong, Japan and USA within the last few years. Whether or not France has played in those regions does not mean it does not have more potential. I'd wager France vs USA would sell better in the United States than Toulouse vs Toulon.

>>>Yes and thats the point I have been making all along. The Top14 is exciting to watch and so is the HCup. The French team is poorly motivated and poorly coached. And theres only 5 french games in the 6N. Cant sell the whole game of rugby in a country like France with just 5 games. Sorry buddy, not many fans get up at 6 am to watch Fra play in NZ. Can u live with that?
You misunderstand what I said about the promotion of intl rugby. i agree that Fra vs USA would of course generate more interest than Toulouse vs Toulon in the USA. But its not very practical. When is that ever going to happen? Dont hold your breath. It sounds great in a conversation but there is no plan to do so.
On the contrary, Toulouse are already marketing themselves in Asia via HK. They dont need the FFR or Intl Board. French clubs are more than capable of promoting rugby itself like Toulouse and Clermont have done in HK last year. I think its the way forward for french and european rugby. Its an avenue they will develop. Clubs are more innovative than Federations at least in my country. Because they are now run by successful entrepreneurs who know how to run a company and promote their clubs. And Clermont and Toulouse still play with more flair than the national team. There u go.

What chance a half back pairing of Rory Kockett at 9 and Doussain at 10 for the RWC 2015? On present form, would not bet against it........................

What chance a half back pairing of Rory Kockett at 9 and Doussain at 10 for the RWC 2015? On present form, would not bet against it........................

aah finally a post worth getting up for...nice break from the SH doomsayers...

yes i like the look of it. Its totally untested but they are both form players and PSA should make his selection based on form. Will he?
Krokett is a great player, another QUALITY NET IMPORT (thank you) who is now elligible for the french team. It will be hard to get in as a scrum half for him given the strength already avaialble for that position (Parra, Machenaud...). HOwever for the 10 shirt its wide open. No strenght in depth here, more like a desert.
It would require innovation and balls from PSA to pick these 2 but problem is PSA is a CONSERVATIVE coach at heart. We would need a ballsy selector at this stage. At 29 Tales is good but a bit old for the WC and hasnt made the 10 jersey really his. PSA is basically going to run out of time before we have we have a strong 9-10 partnerhsip.
But yeah i like the look of it. Doussaint is a scrum half by trade, another gem from the Toulouse academy but he seems to settle nicely in the 10 jersey at Toulouse. He was flawless agst Saracens. If he can do the business for Toulouse, why not?
With Para back from injury and back in the group, id like to see a Doussain - Parra combination agst in Eng

aah finally a post worth getting up for...nice break from the SH doomsayers...

yes i like the look of it. Its totally untested but they are both form players and PSA should make his selection based on form. Will he?
Krokett is a great player, another QUALITY NET IMPORT (thank you) who is now elligible for the french team. It will be hard to get in as a scrum half for him given the strength already avaialble for that position (Parra, Machenaud...). HOwever for the 10 shirt its wide open. No strenght in depth here, more like a desert.
It would require innovation and balls from PSA to pick these 2 but problem is PSA is a CONSERVATIVE coach at heart. We would need a ballsy selector at this stage. At 29 Tales is good but a bit old for the WC and hasnt made the 10 jersey really his. PSA is basically going to run out of time before we have we have a strong 9-10 partnerhsip.
But yeah i like the look of it. Doussaint is a scrum half by trade, another gem from the Toulouse academy but he seems to settle nicely in the 10 jersey at Toulouse. He was flawless agst Saracens. If he can do the business for Toulouse, why not?
With Para back from injury and back in the group, id like to see a Doussain - Parra combination agst in Eng

Corrections.....

1. Kockett is not qualified until later this year and believe he could play in EOYT but not positive on that.

2. Doussain started as a 10 and was the 10 in the Under 20 French team before being used as a 9 by Noves at Toulouse....

I would agree with your suggested Doussain/Parra combination but with Parra at 9 and Doussain at 10 until Kockett is qualified and then see him and Parra perhaps alternate!

It will be interesting to see what Noves does at ST when McAllister is fit again but I hope he moves McAllister to the centre/reserve 10 to allow Doussain to blossom but will he when he is short of a decent 9 but has plenty of centres......?

Corrections.....

1. Kockett is not qualified until later this year and believe he could play in EOYT but not positive on that.

2. Doussain started as a 10 and was the 10 in the Under 20 French team before being used as a 9 by Noves at Toulouse....

I would agree with your suggested Doussain/Parra combination but with Parra at 9 and Doussain at 10 until Kockett is qualified and then see him and Parra perhaps alternate!

It will be interesting to see what Noves does at ST when McAllister is fit again but I hope he moves McAllister to the centre/reserve 10 to allow Doussain to blossom but will he when he is short of a decent 9 but has plenty of centres......?

McAllister will go back as 10 and alternate with Doussain for a while and i think, barring injuries of course, Doussain will go back as 9. There's enough fit centres at the moment. It could change of course. One thing is for sure Noves will not pick a player just to 'develop' him in a position, and definitily not to suit the french squad, not his problem. Doussain ended up as 10 because of McAllister's injury. He's always picked his team on form and to suit the club season, like any good coach should.

McAllister will go back as 10 and alternate with Doussain for a while and i think, barring injuries of course, Doussain will go back as 9. There's enough fit centres at the moment. It could change of course. One thing is for sure Noves will not pick a player just to 'develop' him in a position, and definitily not to suit the french squad, not his problem. Doussain ended up as 10 because of McAllister's injury. He's always picked his team on form and to suit the club season, like any good coach should.

I can understand and agree with that but McAllister has been pretty average and very inconsistent at 10 for the last 18 months at least although he was beginning to get back to some kind of form before he was injured.......I think that Doussain has shown himself recently to be better equipped and been more consistent at 10 than McAllister such that he is not being "developed" but is the finished article.

I also think that McAllister is a better 12 than 10...........but time will tell what Noves will do but must be good for Toulouse to have such choices or as I would put it "quality problems"!

interesting times four France, I'm looking forward to the coming years rugby to gauge what effect this will have on the overall performances of the national team.

interesting times four France, I'm looking forward to the coming years rugby to gauge what effect this will have on the overall performances of the national team.

well surely we'll look at least a bit more cohesive as a team. Two weeks rather than 3-4 days must make a difference by default.....right ??!?! :p
But as we've said, for a number of reasons this FFR-LNR agreement isn't nearly sustainable. It'll have to be reviewed, but as a national side we cannot take a step back again and be given a handful of hours to train with drained bodies again. They'll have to maintain this current aspect, no matter what, I don't care.