• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France v Ireland

Waow this is going to be tough... I will have to go against my heart and say France. The home advantage, and if they get going they could destroy Ireland. However, if the Irish rattle the French at home, we could win by maybe 5-6 points?

Realistically, it could go down to who makes the most errors.

The fitness of Ferris, Sexton and DOC is huge for Ireland. Without them we have little hope.

Oh I cant wait, Got the tickets tonight now all to Paris :bravo:

But well lads this has potential to be a great game as both teams have so many players that can make fireworks.
It'll be interesting to see the team named tomorrow like will Sexton/Wallace loose out on the 22 but word is Ferris is very doubtful which is a worry as McLaughlin isn't ready yet for this game.
Part of me reckons this would've been a game for Quinny if Ferris is out ;)

I dont worry about our pack but if Trimble were to start I worry the french will target the corner of him & Kearney.
And BOD and D'Arcy will have enough on their hands with those to animals in the centre for France.

If Sexton is fit it will give Kidney plenty of options...

If the french play the same defence against scotland where the outside man rushes up and in then Sexton would be alot better at bringing the ball up to the line and looking for runners or looking for a gap himself
or
He could play O'Gara and hope the french use the drift defence where O'Garas passing ability could pick out gaps in the line...

I think O'Gara woll start even if Sexton is 100% as Kidney is ashrewd guy and will stick with ROG.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 8 2010, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think O'Gara woll start even if Sexton is 100% as Kidney is ashrewd guy and will stick with ROG.[/b]

That made no sense to me whatsoever. How is picking ROG a smooth move? He's carrying a knock (as is Sexton) and the French have a hugely physical centre pairing and backrow who would have no hesitation to run down the flyhalf channel. Surely with that in mind it would be wiser to play the defensively stronger 10? If we start Rog, Wally will have to once again babysit him meaning we'll be on the backfoot at the breakdown.

If Ferris is out it's a massive blow for Ireland, I'd rate him as one of the best blindside's in the world, he's a far better player than McLaughlin in all honesty. I think Ireland will lose this one, the record speaks for itself really.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 8 2010, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 8 2010, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think O'Gara woll start even if Sexton is 100% as Kidney is ashrewd guy and will stick with ROG.[/b]

That made no sense to me whatsoever. How is picking ROG a smooth move? He's carrying a knock (as is Sexton) and the French have a hugely physical centre pairing and backrow who would have no hesitation to run down the flyhalf channel. Surely with that in mind it would be wiser to play the defensively stronger 10? If we start Rog, Wally will have to once again babysit him meaning we'll be on the backfoot at the breakdown.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah I agree but meant Kidney is smooth and will stick with ROG.
I'd prefer Sexton if on form but Kidney won't change it.

Kidney has the same attitude to Munster players as Johnson has to Leicester.

O'Gara won't get dropped even if his leg is cut off.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 9 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Kidney has the same attitude to Munster players as Johnson has to Leicester.

O'Gara won't get dropped even if his leg is cut off.[/b]

Really? Even though Sexton is the better player and he was first choice in the Autumn tests? Oh and he can tackle.

he didn't have that attitude in November when he dropped O'Gara for the Springboks match, after what many felt was a good enough performance to keep his place in the Australian match.

We'll see. Even if Kidney does the correct move and go for Sexton, one mistake and he'll be dropped quicker then a kick by Wilkinson 22m out when a 4-man overlap is available...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 9 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
he didn't have that attitude in November when he dropped O'Gara for the Springboks match, after what many felt was a good enough performance to keep his place in the Australian match.[/b]
Tarbh I think you misunderstood Bullitt.

He is right that in the current circumstances (ROG on form & Sexton only back from 2 injuries) that ROG will be probably selected vs France as Kidney regards ROG as his player etc.

We all know that Sexton is the better player overall but for Irelands game plan which will possibly be teritory and ROG's form he'll get the 10 shirt.

No I didn't misunderstand, I rejected the premise. If Kidney was one to select Munster players he'd have picked Leamy and Quinlan to start in last years Six Nations, he didn't and it was the same again in November when he went with Sexton over ROG.

I never said that ROG wouldn't be selected, I just rejected the idea that he'd be picked purely on the basis that he's played for Kidney at provincial level.

Ireland Coach Declan Kidney has named the team to play France in the second game of the RBS 6 Nations Championship in Paris on Saturday.
Keith Earls has been selected on the left wing in place of Andrew Trimble.

Vacancies have been left at second row and blindside flanker pending confirmation of the fitness of Donncha O'Callaghan and Stephen Ferris.

Both players took part in training with the Ireland team today but a final decision will be made on Thursday.

The seven replacements will also be finalised on Thursday from the possible nine players named today.

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
9 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)

1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
3 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
4 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
6 - A.N.Other
7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 10 2010, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ireland Coach Declan Kidney has named the team to play France in the second game of the RBS 6 Nations Championship in Paris on Saturday.

Vacancies have been left at second row and blindside flanker pending confirmation of the fitness of Donncha O'Callaghan and Stephen Ferris.

Both players took part in training with the Ireland team today but a final decision will be made on Thursday.

The seven replacements will also be finalised on Thursday from the possible nine players named today.

6 - A.N.Other

Replacements:
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)[/b]

A bit harsh on Trimble isn't it, he was arguably the best of the back three last week. Still I'm excited to see Earls in what is hopefully a fast open game. So who's to be dropped Wallace, Trimble?

Didn't Trimble pick up a hamstring injury in the match?
Could be that they don't want to make it any worse

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Feb 9 2010, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 10 2010, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

6 - A.N.Other

Replacements:
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)[/b]

A bit harsh on Trimble isn't it, he was arguably the best of the back three last week. Still I'm excited to see Earls in what is hopefully a fast open game. So who's to be dropped Wallace, Trimble?
[/b][/quote]

They chose 9 replacements - 2 of them flankers, so presumably they're making up their minds up which to start with. Wallace is there as possible cover in case Sexton's injured. I reckon they'll have Trimble on the bench for sure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Sexton was not considered for Saturday's 29-11 victory over Italy early last week after picking up a dead leg[/b]

Nobody else found this funny?

Latest posts