• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France vs Scotland - 12/08/23

Not too unhappy overall, keeps Scotlands feet on the ground and keeps them working hard knowing where the gaps are to the top teams. White and Horne have to be the answer at 9, Price is not at his best.
Scrum wasn't the sturdiest at times, not sure if France were manipulating it better in the front row but the forwards have generally been fairly dependable of late.

Scotland are my favourites for Group B now. Only question mark is whether they have shown everything to the Boks and Irish.

looking at the stats and Scotland's performance looks really good and probably unlucky to lose this. Controlled play and forced France to play poorly. France turned the ball over 20% of the time.

It really seems that France is depending on moments of brilliancy to cover up up some weak foundations.

Tell you what though a bit of Scottish brilliance could end up changing the entire tournament if they beat the reigning Champs and/or the the number 1 ranked team Ireland.

That group is certainly going to be a terrific watch.

Dangerous side now and great for the neutral!

looking at the stats and Scotland's performance looks really good and probably unlucky to lose this. Controlled play and forced France to play poorly. France turned the ball over 20% of the time.

It really seems that France is depending on moments of brilliancy to cover up up some weak foundations.
With that said ignoring the opener against NZ they have plenty of time to build and peak for the knockout stages, they may also be trying to hold some bits back, although defence wouldn't be one of them and at times questionable, Scotlands attack is under rated though and could cut most defences apart at will when it clicks.

Tell you what though a bit of Scottish brilliance could end up changing the entire tournament if they beat the reigning Champs and/or the the number 1 ranked team Ireland.

That group is certainly going to be a terrific watch.

Dangerous side now and great for the neutral!
I don't think many realise just how big am upset that would be though.

Screenshot_20230706_141219.jpg
Screenshot_20230706_140829.jpg

They'd be better off in Pool A imo, France are a good match up for them and NZ should be, although their mental fragility usually ruins them against the ABs.

I just can't see it at all, particularly after going to Murrayfield this year.

That is one of the maddest opinions I've ever seen on these boards.

I think Scotland are playing at their peak and are showing everything to Ireland and South Africa.

Last night I felt that Scotland were now favourites for Group B. Having slept on it I now think that although they could beat South Africa and Ireland, the most likely result is that South Africa and Ireland will both beat Scotland in tight contests.

A real shame that World Rugby has messed the draw up so royally.

Last edited:
Yes. Ireland and SA's strength at the breakdown and above average defence is a horrible combination that I can't really see Scotland beating. It is loke kryptonite for them. That said 6N 2023 Scotland was probably better than anything that has gone before it and George Horne / Kinghorn 2023 Scotland is probably a fair bit better still. But I'm sure a good defensive coach would be able to disrupt the way Finn is looking to play.

Scotland have just shown in consecutive weeks what a slow start and a fast start does for us. They must maintain that level for the first 20-30 mins in matches and not let the opposition settle in. That said, there does seem to be a growing ability to roll with the punches then counter for a sustained period and swing the game on its head (usually against France). The Boks and the Irish are extremely difficult to score against, keeping within touching distance will be key.

Huge loss but France definitely have the depth to deal with it. Jalibert, Hastoy and, I'd guess Carbonel will come in. Still probably the strongest trio of 10s any country can bring.

I genuinely hate these warm up matches. They're all meh and you get stuff like this happening ruining individuals' dreams and damaging team plans. There's far more to lose than to gain.

If we have to have them, 2 maximum.

Latest posts