Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Frans Steyn could return to South Africa

Frans_Steyn5.jpg

Steyn's agent, Gerrie Swart told Volksblad newspaper that Steyn is considering a return to South Africa.
http://superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=33085

I hope he does. France is no place for a young outside to develop their game. They all end up fat, slow kicking machines.

Strangely enough, since he has been there he has kicked less and passed more.

Granted he may have had one or two extra pastries, but seeing as he hasn't lost any of his pace, no long term effects and the extra kilos may help in the tackle.

If I was him I'd still stay a few more years in France. Get out of the magnified glass that is South Africa rugby, earn some big money and then return when he's totally ready. The reason he left was because of pressure, and it makes no sense chucking him back in the same pressure if he can't handle it.

That, and I want to see Steyn and Hernandez get some game time together. Could be an amazing combo!

McLeod/Hoffmann, Lambie, Mvovo, Steyn, Ludik/Mjekevu, Pietersen, Viljoen.
Yes please.

Good news, didn't see Steyn play that much yet this season.

I don't think he'll come back to the Sharks.
Surely the Bulls must be after him? They need a proper FB

Steve-o I know many, many guys think Steyn's best position is no.15, but he hasn't really sparked there much for us, he was decent yes; but at 12 he's excellent.

Thoughts?

Steve-o I know many, many guys think Steyn's best position is no.15, but he hasn't really sparked there much for us, he was decent yes; but at 12 he's excellent.

Thoughts?

there is no way Steyn's best position is 15, he is overrated there

his best position by far is centre

He certainly has the skillz to be a world class player in both positions, better suited for fullback though IMO.

However his attitude doesn't agree, and he prefers to be closer to the action. Originally he had his heart set on being a fly-half, but simply refused to pass, and whenever he did it was a poor or hospital one.

He then threw a huff over his inability to become a decent one, and of the stick Sharks supporters gave him for his 'performances' there in 2009. Since then it appears he has matured (or at least after his little spat with P Divvy) and has settled at 12.

He certainly has the skillz to be a world class player in both positions, better suited for fullback though IMO.

However his attitude doesn't agree, and he prefers to be closer to the action. Originally he had his heart set on being a fly-half, but simply refused to pass, and whenever he did it was a poor or hospital one.

He then threw a huff over his inability to become a decent one, and of the stick Sharks supporters gave him for his 'performances' there in 2009. Since then it appears he has matured (or at least after his little spat with P Divvy) and has settled at 12.

how is he better suited to 15?

all he does is just stand at the back and boot the leather off the ball, he offers no threat whatsoever on the counter from 15

but at centre, he is a very solid in defence and decent with ball in hand

Exactly, because that wasn't the case when Steyn first arrived on the scene, he was the all-in-one fullback package in 2006/2007, except his pass and his looking for it were missing.

He had the boot as well as the size and ability to run the ball up effectively in attack, and was very solid in the tackle. (tbh his decision making wasn't always the best, but at that age you can excuse him)

We saw this in the Tri-Nations in 2009 at his best, very much a kicking year but offered a lot of variety.

Steyn looked very comfortable and natural as an inside centre in the Springbok backline.
He can cover fullback, but he lacks the pace to be an effective counter attacking/line hitting fullback.

I think he prefers inside centre, and he would be almost guaranteed to start there for the Sharks (it would help his cause if he was about ten years older though).

Steyn looked very comfortable and natural as an inside centre in the Springbok backline.
He can cover fullback, but he lacks the pace to be an effective counter attacking/line hitting fullback.

Exactly. The modern fullback is a jet booted, fleet footed, counter attacking freak. (ie. Kurtley Beale). Steyn isn't quick enough or agile enough for fullback. He did look very good at 12 in the world cup though.

This also confirms what News24 said over the weekend that Heyneke Meyer had talks with Fransie Steyn to get him to come back to SA when his contract expires in June with Racing Metro.

The Sharks, IMO and as much as it pains me to say this should be the only ones to bid for him, as he used to play for them. Good luck to them, and try hard to get him here sooner than later.

Really don't think the Cheetahs can afford him, hope he goes to the Sharks

Latest posts