• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Francois Steyn Heading back to SA

This also confirms what News24 said over the weekend that Heyneke Meyer had talks with Fransie Steyn to get him to come back to SA when his contract expires in June with Racing Metro.

The Sharks, IMO and as much as it pains me to say this should be the only ones to bid for him, as he used to play for them. Good luck to them, and try hard to get him here sooner than later.

They poached him from the FS though. But yeah, it would probably be for the best (for SA) if he plays for the Sharks or Cheetahs at 12 outside either of Lambie or Goosen. The two teams also having some connection to him (being raised in the Free State and having been a regular for the Sharks). Both teams could also do with a world class option at center; more so than the other 3 franchises.

He is probably more suited to the Sharks game or he has to lose some weight for the Cheetahs' tempo game (which might be very good for him, mind you). We would certainly welcome him in the Fairest Cape as well what with Sadie moving North and Fourie having a go at it in Nippon. Could be a good move to set up a partnership with De Jongh (or if Fourie ever returns to us) and learn the Stormers' defensive systems. We could certainly use a big boot and a good play-making (setting up his 13 in particular) option at 12 down here!

Last edited:
Vodacom Super Rugby
Steyn heading back to SA
2012-04-02 10:48Email | Print

Frans Steyn (File)
Related Links
Bulls showed character - coach
Stormers win Newlands war
Burger out of Stormers tour

Durban - Francois Steyn will play his rugby in South Africa after deciding not to extend his contract with French Top 14 club Racing Metro.

Racing Metro offered the 24-year-old 2007 Rugby World Cup-winner a lucrative contract extension which he turned down in favour of a return to South Africa at the end of the season.

Racing confirmed his departure in a press release with Racing president Jacky Lorenzetti saying he ‘understands this decision and thanks him warmly for three seasons at the club’.

Steyn’s decision was swayed by Heyneke Meyer’s appointment as Springboks coach. Meyer recently contacted him in Paris to seek clarity on his future plans. Meyer is known to rate Steyn highly and feels he would add value to the national side, particularly as an inside centre.

Steyn is believed to be in negotiations with the Sharks over a deal that will see him return to Durban.

Meanwhile, according to the Keo.co.za website, Meyer is also understood to have contacted a number of Japan-based players to offer them an opportunity to continue their Test careers.

Fourie du Preez is expected to be his first-choice scrumhalf for at least his first season, while Jaque Fourie and Danie Rossouw will also feature. Meyer is also in favour of the idea of selecting European-based players.

Great news!! Fantastic News actually!!

Interesting news. Good to see Steyn return, although I can't work out why if Meyer is saying he is in favor of selecting European based players. He could earn a crapload in france and still play for the Boks...

Interesting news. Good to see Steyn return, although I can't work out why if Meyer is saying he is in favor of selecting European based players. He could earn a crapload in france and still play for the Boks...

It's one of those quotes you have to read between the lines... He's saying that he'll pick european based players, but if you really want to play for the boks, come back to SA and show pride means more than money...

I keep forgetting he's still only 24 yet he has 47 S.A. caps.

Good news for the Sharks (I presume). The good thing is that with Viljoen and Ludik at the Sharks and their lack in the centers Steyn will probably turn out in the no.12 jersey which is where SA need him.

Good news for the Sharks (I presume). The good thing is that with Viljoen and Ludik at the Sharks and their lack in the centers Steyn will probably turn out in the no.12 jersey which is where SA need him.
Yep, from what I gathered, Frans wants to play 12. Just as Bosman turns a corner and Whitehead joins, we might get Frans back. No complaints! Still, can't get my hopes up yet...

Great news for the Sharks. Altho I don't really see the use of asking the players that went to Japan to come back. The RWC is in 4 years. It's better to invest in some talented youngsters , now they have plenty of time to develop.

Good news for the Sharks, Steyn will add to an already imposing back line.

The inclusion of Fourie du Preez again is interesting though, any rumours of a potential successor?

Pretorius had a great season last year and hasn't been bad for the Waratahs...

Which non-SA based players are actually good enough to merit inclusion?
Muller isn't needed with Kruger, Etzebeth, and Bresler; Pienaar has been awful for the Boks since his move; Hougaard is better than du Preez, and has been for a while.
Steenkamp is the only I can think of.

Oh, and John Smit :)

Muller isn't needed with Kruger, Etzebeth, and Bresler; Pienaar has been awful for the Boks since his move; Hougaard is better than du Preez, and has been for a while.

Oh, and John Smit :)

Pretorius?

Great news for the Sharks. But seeing as the Boks can pick outside of SA anyway, then this shouldn't be too big a deal for them either way.

It is a big deal, since they don't have to negotiate with a European team to be able to call up Steyn

It would be awesome if he would leave the Sharks for what they are and join the Cheetahs. Goosens at 10, Steyn at 12. I would watch every Cheetah game ( like I did last year)

It would be awesome if he would leave the Sharks for what they are and join the Cheetahs. Goosens at 10, Steyn at 12. I would watch every Cheetah game ( like I did last year)
It would be an endless 60m drop goal competition! Just add Viljoen in with them, drop them all back and make the opposition pay for kicking it away!

A backline containing Lambie, Steyn, Pietersen, and Viljoen would be incredible! Bring back Mark Richards and hope that Hoffmann or Reinach steps up.

Why do people rate Hougaard so highly?

du Preez was the best scrum half in the world between 2007 and 2010

how can people say Hougaard is better than du Preez for a long time when Hougaard has spent much of his time on the wing

and Pienaar awful for the Boks? a bit harsh considering he had to have 10 minute bench appearances for most of them coming on for the latter stages of Ricky "Fatty" Januarie's career

I think Hougaard has been ahead of du Preez since 2010, so not that long.
Pienaar looked very bad in last years Tri Nations. Slow service, poor kicking.

Latest posts