• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Full contact: thoughts?

dirty harry

First XV
Ok so I'll start by clarifying, I hated drive to survive, it really made drivers come across as unlikable, arrogant, and detached from reality.

I'm 32 mins into the Finn Russel show, guest starring Marcus Smith, and it seems I'm going to thoroughly hate this series!

How does everyone else feel?

I haven't seen it, but...
I don't think it was ever going to be targetted at the likes of ourselves on a rugby forum. Surely it'll be aimed at the casual viewer market, those who might tune in to the RWC, and maybe hit upon a 6N match or two whilst channel surfing - those who'd struggle to name more than 4 rugby players.

Not a fan of the way it is done like seemed a bit rushed but equally players didn't seem fully comfortable with it.

I am thoroughly hating it!

Of all the experienced, interesting and varied characters to focus on, AWJ, Sexton, Mahony, Ollivon, Negri etc, and I'm watching Finn Russell comparing himself to Messi, and training with his hands in his pockets!!!

I'm watching LRZ and Luke Varney play pool and be super awkward in front of the camera.

Im watching Keiran Crowley call the Welsh cheats and sit with his wife and complain about how coaches are hard done by!

I didnt hate the Genge section, because at least he has a bit of a story to tell, but my God how awkward and hammed up was that BS, like his upbringing was any different to 90% of the Welsh squad lol.

It's just all so sanitized, overly faux dramatic, and worst of all.. BORING!!!

Sorry for the rant, I think its just brought back bad memories of working with pro and international players and thoroughly disliking them, and their attitudes lol I've been triggered hahahahahaha

I mean, did I miss something, I'm on the final episode and we are back following Scotland for a 3rd episode...

Did they win something?

This series is 60% scotland, 10% Ireland, 10% Wales, 10% England and 7% Italy and 3% France

I mean, did I miss something, I'm on the final episode and we are back following Scotland for a 3rd episode...

Did they win something?

This series is 60% scotland, 10% Ireland, 10% Wales, 10% England and 7% Italy and 3% France
It will depend on who gave them the most access. In the first season of Drive to Survive, Red Bull didn't want to engage, so they weren't really covered in it. But they then opened up in subsequent seasons.
I guess Scotland gave the most access

It will depend on who gave them the most access. In the first season of Drive to Survive, Red Bull didn't want to engage, so they weren't really covered in it. But they then opened up in subsequent seasons.
I guess Scotland gave the most access
That's a very good point. I cant imagine Gatland being very open minded with a rebuild and all the controversy going on, a camera in players faces would probably have made things 10 times worse

That's a very good point. I cant imagine Gatland being very open minded with a rebuild and all the controversy going on, a camera in players faces would probably have made things 10 times worse
Similar to Borthwick. Had only been in the role a few weeks so probably didn't want the added distraction
If they do a second season it will be interesting to see if more teams open up.

Did they win something?

I wouldn't be surprised if Dodson granted more access with a view to boosting the SRU's coffers from which he could award himself an even fatter bonus than usual..

Similar to Borthwick. Had only been in the role a few weeks so probably didn't want the added distraction

Very true although I suspect he'd hate it regardless and I'm with him all the way on that.

Who really wants cameras up their noses while they're trying to do a difficult enough job? Especially when, frankly, growing the game, is totally peripheral to what Borthwick's been hired to do.

A minority of players might see some opportunities but the vast majority of players and coaches will just want to get on with their jobs without the distraction. "Sorry, Ellis didn't quite get the right angle of your nose being buried in the ground, can we go again?".

Unsurprising that Sco and Ita were open. Minimal professional set ups in either country and both are probably hoping it gets showed in South Africa, New Zealand…..

Enjoying it for what it is tbh.

Sexton chose not to speak to them and with so many players obviously you can't focus on too many but it is funny he, by episode 4 at least, hasn't been mentioned despite his last 6N surely being a decent narrative.

Also no mention of the then upcoming WC haha.

Enjoying it for what it is tbh.

Sexton chose not to speak to them and with so many players obviously you can't focus on too many but it is funny he, by episode 4 at least, hasn't been mentioned despite his last 6N surely being a decent narrative.

Also no mention of the then upcoming WC haha.
Ye it was odd, a lot of narratives from last years 6N, yet they have chosen to hang out with the pretty boys, and then clash of the ***ans style reports on the games lol.

As mentioned I hated drive to survive, and I absolutely hated this too. What a shame!

I watched the first two episodes and was expecting better.

I don't know how enticing it will be bringing casuals more to the game tbh.

Half way through the first episode. Struggling to finish it to be honest.

I'm not sure that covering different nations in one series works. People are generally just interested in their own nation and will switch off a bit when attention switches to other nations. The Living with Lions was better because it was primarily aimed at one set of fans.