• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gaelic Football

Well the best fights since the series have been revived was in Dublin between two midgets, Peter Canavan and Jason Knackermanis, knocking seven piles of **** out of each other, great stuff.

yeah that one was good

its AKERMANIS but im not sure if that was meant to be a joke?? if so im sorry

I also remember Brad Scott's one punck KO was pretty sweet(from an aussie point of view)

Yeah it was a joke, seemed to fit at the time although we were dissappointed when he didn't appear for the next series.

I watch the nfl and Ive seen way worse injuries in the AFL then i'll ever see in Yank football, off the top of my head the worst injuries i saw in the AFL last year was Nathan Brown completly snapping his leg in half when he went to kick the ball and his opponent went to smother the kick, but the worst from this past season was when two guys had there eyes on the ball and were running flat out and ran straight into each other head first and were both completely knocked out and one of the guys was having a seizure as he lay there.

IMO there's nothing tough about dressing up like a storm trooper to go play sport.

I never said Afl was the toughest sport in the world but its definatley the most AGGRESSIVE, I happen to think Rugby is the toughest team sport in the world.

OH and aussie rules is more violent then American football as is a lot of other sports. The rest of the world laugh's at your sport's with all the protective gear they wear.Theres nothing more violent in sports than head injuries and that aint gonna happen when your wearing a space helmut , also fights are non exsistent in your game.

Formula 1 drivers wear less protective gear than NFL players do
<

But lets not turn this thread into a NFL v AFL fight coz it has nothing to do with what we were talking about so im not realy sure why you brought this stuff up,Im starting to think it was to bait me
<
if so you have succeeded
<
dammit

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Jan 9 2006, 04:25 PM
yeah that one was good

I also remember Brad Scott's one punck KO was pretty sweet(from an aussie point of view)
Yeah the fights are class, don't care which side is dishing it out as long as there's a decent bit of retaliation from us if it's done by an Aussie, sadly doesn't look like being the case going on the last series.

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Jan 11 2006, 05:43 AM
I watch the nfl and Ive seen way worse injuries in the AFL then i'll ever see in Yank football, off the top of my head the worst injuries i saw in the AFL last year was Nathan Brown completly snapping his leg in half when he went to kick the ball and his opponent went to smother the kick, but the worst from this past season was when two guys had there eyes on the ball and were running flat out and ran straight into each other head first and were both completely knocked out and one of the guys was having a seizure as he lay there.

IMO there's nothing tough about dressing up like a storm trooper to go play sport.

I never said Afl was the toughest sport in the world but its definatley the most AGGRESSIVE, I happen to think Rugby is the toughest team sport in the world.

OH and aussie rules is more violent then American football as is a lot of other sports. The rest of the world laugh's at your sport's with all the protective gear they wear.Theres nothing more violent in sports than head injuries and that aint gonna happen when your wearing a space helmut , also fights are non exsistent in your game.

Formula 1 drivers wear less protective gear than NFL players do
<

But lets not turn this thread into a NFL v AFL fight coz it has nothing to do with what we were talking about so im not realy sure why you brought this stuff up,Im starting to think it was to bait me
<
  if so you have succeeded 
<
  dammit
Broken legs and concussions/knockouts are common in American football. That's why fans know of the term 'second impact syndrome'. This is by the fact the players are bigger/faster and use the "padding" as weaponry.

Your broken leg example sounds like an extreme example in the sport. Extreme examples in American football would include paralysis, fractured skull bone inside the cranium, sheared arturies within the chest and even lacerated livers.

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Jan 11 2006, 05:43 AM
<
if so you have succeeded
<
dammit
No bait intended, it was just the most agressive claim that needed to be countered.

Originally posted by An Tarbh+Jan 11 2006, 12:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 11 2006, 12:18 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-The TRUTH!!
@Jan 9 2006, 04:25 PM
yeah that one was good

Yeah the fights are class, don't care which side is dishing it out as long as there's a decent bit of retaliation from us if it's done by an Aussie, sadly doesn't look like being the case going on the last series. [/b]
Yeah we dont expect the Irish to win the fights(when there not realy used to the physical stuff) but Australians realy love to see them fight back and put big tackles on our players, hopefully they will mix it up next year.

It would be good to see in like 20 years when there would probably enough irish players in the AFL to make a team, that maybe we could have a International Aussie Rules match. Id love to see that.

Hopefully Tadhg Kennelly will be playing for you guys next year he's turned into a pretty good player.

He's always made a big difference to us when he's played, don't think he's played in the last 2 losing series, yet he was awesome for us last year in Dublin. He's a seriously talented footballer, would easily be in the Kerry team if he'd stayed here in my opinion.

I would really like to see Int Rules go international. I burned second game of this year series to frends, people at work... everybody watched at least once. it is in my oppinion most attractive code of football ever played.

The Rules series is at its lowest ebb in Ireland at the moment. The violence in the last series shocked alot of people and turned them off the sport. Some players too, the lighter more skillful players like Cooper and Munnelly will never play the code again. Also the fact that a small number of strong Irish minors are being scouted by AFL clubs is another issue. I love the Rules series myself but alot of traditionalists would be turning their backs on it now.

Originally posted by BBC Sport
GAA to meet AFL over rules series
The GAA will have discussions about the future of the International Rules with their Australian Football League counterparts next week.
There have been some calls to scrap the hybrid code following the violence which marred the series last October.

GAA president Sean Kelly, president-elect Nicky Brennan and director-general Liam Mulvihill will represent the GAA at the meeting.

There will be attempts to formulate a new code of discipline in the series.

Australia co-captain Chris Johnson was suspended for the next five games against Ireland after pleading guilty to striking Philip Jordan and Mattie Forde during the second Test at Telstra Dome.

Johnson, who won't be eligible to play against Ireland again until 2008, later apologised for his actions.

The GAA and the AFL are likely to introduce several rule changes.

These could include a decision not to allow players who have been sent off in games to be replaced by a team-mate.

There has been the view that this has encouraged the "taking out" of players in the series.

Another possible change is that suspensions picked up in the series could also apply to the GAA and AFL calendar.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting developments, can't see the series being scrapped, good to see that the ridiculous rule where sent off players can be replaced will be chucked, if they don't do that they really need their heads examined.

If they think it's to violent then they can go watch netball i'm sure there's plenty of irish who enjoyed last years series, its a man's sport and i'd like it to stay the way it is.

The suspention rule for the AFL season will never happen.

I agree with you on the sending off rule but im a bit worried about the irish umpires getting carried away with it, they dont know the rules as it is.

I would be more worried about the Aussie Team getting death threats and bomb threats as they have in the past and im guessing that will continue next year after the way the irish press have overeacted after last years series.

What happens on the field stays on the field and death threats is taking it to far.....its just a game FFS.

What are you talking about, the Australian ref was shite this year, complete home town official, the Irish ref wasn't afraid to penalise the Irish players equally as much as he did with the Aussies, he was far more impartial and had far better control over the game than his counterpart.

What are these death threats and bomb threats from the past you're talking about, certainly can't recall any death threats or bomb scares.

As for the media, I suppose when anyone has genuine complaints against Australian sports teams, it always dismissed as whingeing by our press or sour grapes when in fact all that's being reported are the facts.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jan 21 2006, 01:55 PM
What are you talking about, the Australian ref was shite this year, complete home town official, the Irish ref wasn't afraid to penalise the Irish players equally as much as he did with the Aussies, he was far more impartial and had far better control over the game than his counterpart.

What are these death threats and bomb threats from the past you're talking about, certainly can't recall any death threats or bomb scares.

As for the media, I suppose when anyone has genuine complaints against Australian sports teams, it always dismissed as whingeing by our press or sour grapes when in fact all that's being reported are the facts.

Australian captain James Hird has revealed that he received death threats on the eve of the first International Rules Test match against Ireland in Dublin last week.
Before the Australian team's final training session on Friday, Hird revealed that four or five messages were left on his phone at the hotel on the night before last Sunday's game, calling him all sorts of stuff, and saying he would be lucky to walk off Croke Park without a bullet in his head.
Hird said that his fellow Essendon teammate Mark McVeigh also received threatening phone calls on Wednesday night, when the team was staying at the ancient Ashford Castle.
McVeigh, who was sent off for fighting in the same match, has been the subject of constant public abuse since his indiscretion. He was abused by children in a hamburger shop during the week.
Irish public broadcaster RTE reported that a man, apparently with an Irish accent, made several phone calls to the Australian team's hotel which were recorded on an answering machine.
Both Hird and the AFL treated the threat as a mindless hoax. Hird said he simply left the phone off the hook after hearing the messages.
The Irish, however, labelled the incident deplorable and disgraceful.
Irish team manager Pete McGrath and captain Padraic Joyce both apologised on behalf of their countrymen. Joyce described such threats against his Australian counterpart as unbelievable and disgraceful.
The Gaelic Athletic Association said that this was the first anybody in its organisation had heard of these telephone calls, adding that the incidents reported by Hird had to be the action of a "mindless moron and could only be abhorred".
The matter has been reported to the Irish police for investigation.

About the umpires were never gonna agree on this one ........... you watch gaelic football I watch Aussie Rules so we see things from a totally different point of view.

All i will say is that the Aussie umpire is a proffesional and I honestly thought his umpiring was fantastic last year. Im sure the Irish thought the opposite and thats to be expected(our two games are completely different)

There is just too much of a different interpretation between the two umpires every year ,so I would just like them both to be consistent so both sides are happy. :shake: (luv the smileys u found)

Was confirmed today that Red Cards will mean the player sent off cannot be replaced and also the opposing team will be awarded a penalty kick.

A yellow card will see the player off for 15 mins, but he can be replaced and there will be no penalty kick.

Latest posts