• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gaining 10 kg

bredowski

Academy Player
Hey everyone!Im going to the senior team next year and i will need to bulk a lot.Im 171cm (5'7) and 75kg (165 lbs).I play flanker and despite being small i make a lot of tackle and turnovers.Im the player with moat stamina in my team and the fastest forward.Im aiming for 85-90 kg mostly muscle but i can gain some fat.I want to keep my speed and stamina, maybe increase it a litle.How much time will it take ms and what kind of gym/nutrition should i make?I have been going to the gym for about 2 years but never really that serious.

Big weights, low reps.
Consume more more calories then you burn
If you're feeling a little mental then try GOMAD https://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

Eww...

Build your routine around Bench press, Squat, Deadlift and military press. Pull ups and box jumps are great for looking sexy too! Don't bother with arms, you'll be doing enough presses and rows. Couldn't help you with maintaining/building speed, something I need to look at myself!

5'7" and 75kg isn't that small, hitting 85 and maintaining speed will be seriously tricky.

Gaining 10-15 kg is going to slow you down - that's 20% more bulk than you're used to, so you'll want to take it slowly and keep making sure you're still happy with your spped and agility

Forget speed and just focus on looking swole.

As was written in the swoley bible, lift big or go home. Cardio what cardio.

Seriously unless you're a pro athlete gaining that kind of mass and expecting to keep your speed is going to be hard, a lot will be genetic IMO.

Just keep everything at high weight, low reps lifting wise and focus on explosive running cardio wise.

And up the calories and protein.

And start taking the gym seriously you better not be one of those people who curls in the squat rack in which case I hope you achieve zero gains.

Honestly unless you are wanting to compete bodybuilding isn't hard.

Forget speed and just focus on looking swole.

As was written in the swoley bible, lift big or go home. Cardio what cardio.

Seriously unless you're a pro athlete gaining that kind of mass and expecting to keep your speed is going to be hard, a lot will be genetic IMO.

Just keep everything at high weight, low reps lifting wise and focus on explosive running cardio wise.

And up the calories and protein.

And start taking the gym seriously you better not be one of those people who curls in the squat rack in which case I hope you achieve zero gains.

Honestly unless you are wanting to compete bodybuilding isn't hard.

What do you consider low reps?

5 or less is low. (Just noticed I didn't answer your question).

10 is my go to during season.

8 reps for me and then a final two to be judged upon by the swoley ghost.

If I can lift the final two without a problem I need to up the weight for the second set.
But
If I can't lift the final two without keeping good form then I need to knock it down a little OR keep it at that weight.

It's not a rep if you don't have form.

Obvious if there is a sexy lady in the gym then I do 5 at my absolute max whilst grunting like a Sliver Back Gorilla.

Off season I tend to change it up and go 6-8 reps.

It's all pretty standard stuff TBH whi H is all you need.

Last edited:
My main/compound lifts (squats, deads, bench, OHP) I never go above 5 reps.
Everything else (accessory and beach/bro work) is 10-12.

If he's trying to gain weight relatively quickly he's probably not gonna wanna do straight strength training, particularly if he's not an experienced lifter.

Eat more than you currently do, do strength work, but make sure to emphasise your accessories in order to actually build muscle.

The purpose of strength training is to strengthen muscle you already have, if you're trying to get bigger - you need to focus on that first.
You will get stronger as you get bigger, but your focus should be on size initially, then once you're at your target you can improve the strength of the new muscle.
If you eat enough, and depending on your genetics, you could easily put on 10kg in 6-12 months.

I'f you're on a budget, forget GOMAD, get Jersey milk from either Tesco or Sainsbury's.
It's delicious, and far more densely nutritious than regular full fat milk, meaning you don't have to drink as much of it.

For cardio/stamina - find a circuit that takes you 10-20 minutes (or even a Tabata) and do it now, record how fast/how many/whatever... you do it.
Have that as your benchmark, do it weekly, make sure you don't fall too far behind what you could do at the beginning.

Last edited:
My main/compound lifts (squats, deads, bench, OHP) I never go above 5 reps.
Everything else (accessory and beach/bro work) is 10-12.

Have you tried both rep ranges for your main lifts? The research I've done states that to gain size(hypertrophy) the best rep range is 8-12 but for strength and power it should be 1-6. I'm just wondering because I think I might have gained size faster when I lifted in the 1-6 range when I started out, but that could have been noob gains.

Amazing that we've gone this long without a nice gym bro thread! I started by doing 8-10 rep range for about 6 months (Those 6 months were over 9 months with a few breaks due to laziness!) And have been going at 1-6 for most exercises for about 4-5 months now, I've definitely seen my best results in both size and strength gain since the change.

I've also found that doing things like box jumps, pullups and plyometric pushups help a lot too!

Last edited:
Follow Prilepin's chart if you want to go off rep ranges:

Prilepins-Chart.png

It's the gold standard and has been used for decades.

Amazing that we've gone this long without a nice gym bro thread! I started by doing 8-10 rep range for about 6 months (Those 6 months were over 9 months with a few breaks due to laziness!) And have been going at 1-6 for most exercises for about 4-5 months now, I've definitely seen my best results in both size and strength gain since the change.

I've also found that doing things like box jumps, pullups and plyometric pushups help a lot too!

Is there not a gym thread already?

Latest posts