• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Game of Thrones Discussion [SPOILERS]

I'll keep an eye on it, if it turns out to be good I'll have a look, feel a similar way about Amazon's Lord of the Rings show.

Given the way the show floundered once it couldn't rely on the books, I can't say I'm optimistic.
yeah, a bit worried about the LotR show, im a tolkien fan...have spent time on a Tolkien forum in the past...and even i haven't met that many people that found the Silmarillion an easy read....and theyre going to pick out stories to make a show around. I have ths feeling it will either fell very little like the LotR we "know" to make it easy to digest...or it will be true...and a failure

I'll keep an eye on it, if it turns out to be good I'll have a look, feel a similar way about Amazon's Lord of the Rings show.

Given the way the show floundered once it couldn't rely on the books, I can't say I'm optimistic.
This has a full book of source material in the book Fire and Blood, which is written in the style of a historical book by people who weren't actually there. I just listened to the full thing on Audible over the last few days and there's such an insane amount of detail they have no excuse.

I do have serious concerns though I won't go in to just yet. Willing to give it a try, but the budget will need to be absolutely insane to accommodate the dragon fights and huge battles from the book.

I'm sceptical but also optimistic (same with LOTR, though I think it's going to be hard to avoid comparisons to Jackson's trilogy, which was a masterpiece)

I think a lot of GoT's failings can be attributed to David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, as they rushed through the ending as they wanted to go off and do their other projects, turning down time, episode and money extensions from HBO
They're not involved in this new series, and also (as mentioned above) all the info is already in a book - it's not like GoT where they had to wing the last couple of seasons
Also HBO (and the new showrunners) will be VERY aware of the public opinion of the ending of GoT and won't want a repeat of that
Also also I've just seen that Ramin Djawadi is doing the music, which is great because the scores in GoT were incredible

I'll have to give Fire & Blood a read, I think I've got it somewhere but never got round to reading it because it's a physical book and I'm a kindle kinda guy these days

I'm sceptical but also optimistic (same with LOTR, though I think it's going to be hard to avoid comparisons to Jackson's trilogy, which was a masterpiece)

I think a lot of GoT's failings can be attributed to David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, as they rushed through the ending as they wanted to go off and do their other projects, turning down time, episode and money extensions from HBO
They're not involved in this new series, and also (as mentioned above) all the info is already in a book - it's not like GoT where they had to wing the last couple of seasons
Also HBO (and the new showrunners) will be VERY aware of the public opinion of the ending of GoT and won't want a repeat of that
Also also I've just seen that Ramin Djawadi is doing the music, which is great because the scores in GoT were incredible

I'll have to give Fire & Blood a read, I think I've got it somewhere but never got round to reading it because it's a physical book and I'm a kindle kinda guy these days
Genuinely believe with how it's written it's an easier listen than read. It's pretty well voiced unlike the main series books imo. You can also get a condensed version in A World of Ice and Fire which is probably the better book imo. It's basically a history of the world as told by two maesters.

Still maintain the greatest piece of work in ASOIAF is Dunk and Egg though, which isn't yet finished but is most likely getting a series. The audiobook is outstanding (voiced by Viserys from the show) and just very charming.

You can also get a condensed version in A World of Ice and Fire which is probably the better book imo
I've actually got that as well,
Think i'll need to read it in the garden though because it's so ******* big I don't know if I can open it inside

Also take into consideration the GRR signed an agreement with HBO for the show, as well as other shows that's in the pipeline where he wrote screenplays.

I think there will be a little bit of creativity used here, but there is already framework off GOT, that they can use or emulate. And for the general audience, who didn't read the books, but just watched the show, there is a need of more GOT-like shows. We have been battered with Superheroes the last couple of years, and it's time we get more fantasy/medievel shows to watch.

I think they've definitely started off by adapting their strongest piece of work. They have so much to work with in the Targaryens, especially as GRRM has a massive boner for them. I was very sceptical when I saw they'd greenlit a series around the Long Night/Age of Heroes (Blood Moon I think it was called), which I thought was a horrible idea, because there's no source material and what they do detail is deliberately supposed to be largely based around myth and conjecture so as not to spoil a major reveal that we're still waiting on in the books: Who are the Others and what do they want? Thankfully they canned that series and are at least basing it around stuff they have material for, even though I think GRRM working on TV series when he has books to write is a bit of a slap in the face to fans. I know they have a Dunk & Egg series planned and are considering one around the Sea Snake, which would be interesting, but its contingent on this going well for them and the character being well received, which..... I think the casting has already caught some flak.

This has a full book of source material in the book Fire and Blood, which is written in the style of a historical book by people who weren't actually there. I just listened to the full thing on Audible over the last few days and there's such an insane amount of detail they have no excuse.

I do have serious concerns though I won't go in to just yet. Willing to give it a try, but the budget will need to be absolutely insane to accommodate the dragon fights and huge battles from the book.
Fair enough, hadn't realised that. Nevee got round to reading GRRM's spinoffs for whatever reason.

Fair enough, hadn't realised that. Nevee got round to reading GRRM's spinoffs for whatever reason.
Ah yeah, I would say definitely give Dunk and Egg a go. If you're a real lore nerd then try the other too, but I could see and understand some people hating them.

Not a good sign for house of dragon surely?
If HBO was confident about the reception of this, they wouldn't have cancelled it

I read that they had 4 prequels in works of which this one got canned and House of Dragons got the go ahead. Willing to hold judgement until I see it.

c55.png

Latest posts