• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Game of Thrones Discussion [SPOILERS]

Good article here on how they landed on this as a prequel. Long story short GRRM tells HBO here are two workable prequel ideas (this and then Dunk and Egg) and instead they opted to have a bake off between 5 different concepts, most of which are terrible

1. The much publicised Blood Moon, a series about the original Long Night. This got a mega expensive fully filmed pilot that will never see the light of day. Apparently GRRM was not comfortable with where to take this.
2. Nymeria and her 1000 ships - could have been ready good with a competent writer. Great opportunity to flesh out the world on the screen.
3. A series about ancient Valyria (would have involved addressing a major mystery in the books and also would have been ridiculously expensive)
4. A series about Aegons conquest..... Where Aegon the famously mysteriously stoic ruler is a drunken lout.
5. A series about the 7 gods when they were just people going around adventuring. I can't even describe how terrible this is.

So they spent like 300 million on Bloodmoon, and no doubt millions more on these other concepts only for lo and behold the author to have the best idea of the most workable ideas. I'm super cynical on HotD turning out even half decent even the wigs look crap

I've read all the books and enjoyed them but I don't think I'll bother reading another in the unlikely event it ever comes out. The BS with the TV series has put me off massively.

So GRRM was right about where to go with this.

Would have loved a Dunk and Egg adaption (actually they could work pretty well as movies) but tentatively getting excited for this.

@TRF_Olyy the names get way worse. Wait til we get to Aegon the Younger and Argon the Elder.

This thread is marked Spoilers, so I presume I'm good to go into details for Ep 1. Won't spoil any future stuff of course.

Really enjoyed episode 1. They went in super hard on the brutality, especially that birth scene. Matt Smith as Daemon was inspired, he's playing the character so well. Casting in general seems great. Loved the jousting scenes it felt so true to the universe. Only thing I didn't love was Viserys saying that Aegon dreamed of the WW/Others. It's a complete retcon to needlessly tie in to GOT and doesn't even make sense in the lore, even if it comes from GRRM.

Really looking forward to the rest of this season. The Dance of the Dragons' is a truly batshit story if done correctly

Episode 2 has leaked online! Obviously won't discuss any plot details, but it was a really solid stage setting episode that felt very like early Game of Thrones. Milly Alcock is a really good actress!

And Hot fuzz link.
hot fuzz mustache GIF

I'm fully hooked, love it

Some people saying reusing the theme is lazy but I'm here for it - all time great intro music, use it as much as you want, I'm never going to skip it

Yep, another banger
I'm glad I read somewhere that there are time skips in this series, made the first few mins less confusing

Only downside is how bad the actor for Corlys Velaryon's son was - couldn't have been more wooden if he tried

Yep, another banger
I'm glad I read somewhere that there are time skips in this series, made the first few mins less confusing

Only downside is how bad the actor for Corlys Velaryon's son was - couldn't have been more wooden if he tried
I thought the same. Might be a minor character atm and gets replaced next time-jump for the adult version?

There will be a significant time jump just after the seasons midpoint and that's where the majority of aged up actors will appear.

We will have the majority of the young cast until then, which is good because I think Alicent and Rhaenyra have been unbelievable.

I have really liked the show so far as well. Hunting scene felt so Game of Thrones (not to mention lore friendly). Stepstones bit was maybe a bit contrived (lads running in ones and twos at Daemon), but still good! I think some people thought the Crabfeeder would be a bigger villain, but he's really just a footnote in the book and is supposed to show you that Daemon is THAT GUY.

Personally thought the last episode was one of the weaker ones. Setting up for future ones. More to Otto Hightower than meets the eye?

Daemon is such a good character, Matt Smith is killing it

Think next episode is the last with the young actresses, which is a shame - as above: Alicent and Rhaenyra have been incredibly good

Yep, ditto on Matt Smith.

Damn they are going to change actresses for older Alicent and Rhaenyra? Not like originals then. Real shame as I think if House of Dragons is to go for several seasons it helps build that rapport with those characters.

Yep, ditto on Matt Smith.

Damn they are going to change actresses for older Alicent and Rhaenyra? Not like originals then. Real shame as I think if House of Dragons is to go for several seasons it helps build that rapport with those characters.
The issue if actors/actresses were able to age up naturally in the original series. Here they are covering years between episodes. Even then they had tonage the characters up compared to the books.

Latest posts